Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mObridge vs. Denison

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
guney
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been researching roughly the same thing over the last few days. Here are some distinctions that I seem to have found out between the two:
  • The Dension unit seems to provide a way of navigating to a particular artist (and possibly album and track as well) by first picking a letter of the alphabet and then starting to scroll among the entries that start with that letter. I haven't noticed this feature or anything equivalent on moBridge videos I've found online. If you have an iPod with hundreds of artists, the time it would take to scroll through them from beginning to end might make this a significant consideration.
  • If I'm not mistaken, the Dension provides MP3 playback from a USB device (flash drive, external hard disk) while the moBridge provides MP3 playback from an SD card (in addition to iPod playback, of course). Since the USB approach involves a cable that you can route to pretty much anywhere in the car whereas the SD card has to be plugged into the device directly, this makes the Dension a bit more flexible in terms of playing back MP3 files from a memory device instead of an iPod.
  • It's worth noting that the same memory device interface (i.e., USB or SD card) seems to be utilized by both units as a means of installing firmware upgrades as well. So the convenience of this extends to making upgrades even if you're not interested in playing music through it.
  • I don't know if it could be just my imagination, but I think I have noticed a couple of extra seconds of delay after each selection or exit move as you navigate through folders, artists, albums, etc., on the moBridge device in comparison with the Dension, as I examined the videos available online. You might want to take a close look at that yourself before you make a decision, though, rather than taking my word for it.
  • The Dension seems to have a switch that allows it to be bypassed on your MOST ring. This could come in handy if you ever need to deal with glitches. I'm not sure if moBridge provides something equivalent.

Then there are the differences I've read people mention here and there that I've not necessarily verified for myself. I'm not sure how much of these might be arising simply from the propaganda efforts of the marketing staff for one brand or the other:
  • The Dension is supposed to be a bit less expensive. Since you're saying you're not interested in Bluetooth, you can opt for not buying its separate Bluetooth adaptor and thereby save a few more bucks, whereas Bluetooth is built into moBridge, so if you get it, you'll be paying for it even if you don't want it.
  • Dension is said to allow the coexistence of your CD changer in your MOST ring along with the iPod adapter, whereas the moBridge doesn't. Not sure which works out better in the end, since the Dension (at least earlier on) seems to have suffered from more compatibility glitches possibly due to this (an error message displayed at each power on, which needs to be ignored; etc.). I've noticed that the moBridge installation instructions for 997s require you to take the car to a service center to disable the CD changer if you have one installed. So, there's at least that additional bit of hassle to consider when installing a moBridge, which the Dension does not require.
  • Some sources claim that the moBridge has the more mature Bluetooth implementation, but you already stated that you're not interested in that.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM
guney
AutoX

Originally Posted by guney
  • The Dension is supposed to be a bit less expensive. Since you're saying you're not interested in Bluetooth, you can opt for not buying its separate Bluetooth adaptor and thereby save a few more bucks, whereas Bluetooth is built into moBridge, so if you get it, you'll be paying for it even if you don't want it.
I'll need to take back that last bit. There seems to be another model by moBridge that excludes the Bluetooth feature. (You need to look for the A2010 instead of the ABT2010.)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM
dawich
Instructor

Hi, I have a 997.1 without a cd changer. The dension requires my Porsche dealer to activate the cd changer option. Does the moBridge require the changer option as well? If not can I assume there is a cost savings? Looking for ipod and bluetooth. Any and all replies are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are many other threads out there regarding the latest Dension 500S product. I recently installed it behind the PCM and had the dealer do the programming to recognize it as the CD changer (i don't have a CD changer, obviously). The bluetooth audio works great, but i'm still working on the settings to eliminate the echos for my callers.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Anytime you add a module to the fiber optic loop, dealer programming is required. It's not the brand of device, it's the optic loop/electronics of the vehicle.

On cars with a cdc already, the Dension is 'seen' by the vehicle as a changer, and the cdc plugs into the second accessory/optic port of the Dension (cdc retention), so there is technically no 'new' device on the system. But for non cdc cars, programming is always required.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

What's the best way to lower the echo? That seems to be the main issue with either Dension and moBridge bluetooth vs. OEM.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Anytime you add a module to the fiber optic loop, dealer programming is required. It's not the brand of device, it's the optic loop/electronics of the vehicle.

On cars with a cdc already, the Dension is 'seen' by the vehicle as a changer, and the cdc plugs into the second accessory/optic port of the Dension (cdc retention), so there is technically no 'new' device on the system. But for non cdc cars, programming is always required.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 997.1 with CDC, what's the least expensive way to add iPod functionality, assuming you want to be able to control the iPod through the head unit?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:43 PM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Bumping an old thread.

I recently purchased a 997.1 without the Bose, and when I took delivery it had a bag of electronics, including a Mobridge 2010.

My question to the collective is should I attempt to reattach this thing without any manuals or support? Does it still stream modern phones with good functionality?

I have all of the cables and plugs, and I have a background of DIY and I am not afraid to tackle something like this if worthwhile. My goal is to have good functionality as this is my daily and I commute about 45 minutes each way. Is there something new and better? (of course there is!)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 PM
drmain1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just installed the LA bluetooth device over the weekend myself in about an hour
The following 2 users liked this post by drmain1:
Gene_GaTech (01-22-2020), tinroof (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:33 AM
tinroof
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by drmain1
just installed the LA bluetooth device over the weekend myself in about an hour
Took me more like two hours but not a hard job. Sound is very good. Phone works fine and Bluetooth for music, podcasts, etc. PCM looks original but with all the mod cons.

Quick Reply: mObridge vs. Denison