Sponsored by:

Oil level warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Jeff PE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level warning

On several recent occasions, I have gotten low oil level warning in my Carrera S. When I ran a level check, the system shows full. The warning occurs only after about 1/2 hour run time and generally only at speeds over 60 mph. The car has just over 1000 miles; the problem began at just over 800 miles. I have appointment at dealer for this issue next week but would welcome any thoughts, especially as dealer says they have not encountered this problem before.

Thanks.

Jeff

P.S. Traded my linen metallic with linen interior 1990 Carrera 4 with 59,xxx miles for the Porsche Racing Green Carrera S. If new owner is interested, I have service invoices for past nine or so years (Housekeeping bug got me, so I pitched all the earlier invoices.).
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
JEllis
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Probably a bad sensor then... just a random guess
Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

The only thing that is supposed to generate that low oil level warning annunciator is when the oil level sender is detecting a level below the bottom block, e.g., about 1 liter low. If the routine check you get shows full (or nearly full) then the sensor may be periodically throwing a code to the annunciator that it shouldn't. This needs attention,--something about crying wolf? In time, I would ignore it.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem. Had my oil change by the dealer at 3000 miles and of course, they over filled. I would receive the same oil level low warning. I have over 11000 miles now and have not received the warning however my oil level is still at max. I will be taking my car in this coming Tuesday to fix the exhaust weld cracks, rattling sunroof and will also mention the oil level warning.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to have the muffler clamp campaign next Saturday. I am going to ask them to check out the car and oil level. At 3100 miles, it fluctuates between 2bars low and full. I am alsoo going to ask them to change out my crests...do you think bagels and cream cheese could be a good bribe???
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Jeff PE, So it could be over full warning, at half an hour when the oil has reached temperature?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bijan
Jeff PE, So it could be over full warning, at half an hour when the oil has reached temperature?
Bijan, thats what I was thinking when mine started. It was just after the oil change and it did stop after some time. We shall see when I take it in to the dealer.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Jeff PE
Advanced

I shall post next week after dealer visit. Based on your replies, I shall ask them to consider overfilling (especially as I insisted on oil change before delivery since car had been on lot for months). Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil level warning