Sponsored by:

New wheels are on

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels are on

Just had my 19" Forgestar F14's installed. Car is lowered with Eibach springs. Loving the new Hankook Ventus Evo V12 tires as well.

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the wheels. A sort of RS Spider look (seven pairs) and always impressive to see PCCBs on a Carrera.

It seems the ride height could still come down, can you post a pic of the lower control arms; what are the spring specs?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

they look cool, but if i shelled out for PCCB's id probably put some HRE's on it personally..

i really wish they would change the name of those wheels, if they were called CastStar i would have less of a grudge against them,,, i really love the design tho.. its just like the P40's that look like the Le Mans RS wheels.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

I like them. They remind me of Audi RS4 wheels.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
they look cool, but if i shelled out for PCCB's id probably put some HRE's on it personally..

i really wish they would change the name of those wheels, if they were called CastStar i would have less of a grudge against them,,, i really love the design tho.. its just like the P40's that look like the Le Mans RS wheels.
Didn't shell out the $$$ for the PCCB's. The car was purchased used and didn't really care if it had PCCBs or not. Just a bonus to me that they came on the car.

Some of you people amaze me. You want to spend extra $$$$ on items because it has a name like HRE, Michelin, Brembo, Techart, etc. when there is comparable stuff out there for a helluva lot less $$$. For instance, I bought the set of Hankook tires for less than the price of two Michelin PS2's and they are just as good....and quieter.

FWIW --- the flow form process of Forgestar is the same process that is done with F1 and Indy car wheels. These wheels are pretty damn light too. 23.4 lbs for the fronts and 25.7 for the rears.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Didn't shell out the $$$ for the PCCB's. The car was purchased used and didn't really care if it had PCCBs or not. Just a bonus to me that they came on the car.

Some of you people amaze me. You want to spend extra $$$$ on items because it has a name like HRE, Michelin, Brembo, Techart, etc. when there is comparable stuff out there for a helluva lot less $$$. For instance, I bought the set of Hankook tires for less than the price of two Michelin PS2's and they are just as good....and quieter.

FWIW --- the flow form process of Forgestar is the same process that is done with F1 and Indy car wheels. These wheels are pretty damn light too. 23.4 lbs for the fronts and 25.7 for the rears.
its not the name, its the quality and attention to detail, although the name does add additional $ to the price which is not my favorite part.. as far as tires, i have yet to find a set of hankook's that were quiet but if you like them thats all that matters..i actually run the INVO's which are very affordable because i never did even care for the PS2's

nothing against you at all because i dont even know you.. but its just a pet peeve of mine that lower end car people buy awesome products all the time, but higher end car guys buy the cheapest stuff out there..(cast wheels and springs instead of forged wheels and coilovers (im in the business, so of course it upsets me))

flow form is nice, i just wish they had a name that went along with that "flowformstar" and not "forgestar" and them not being forged wheels.

again a pet peeve, and nothing against you... you say "dont pay more for name brand" but you went and bought a porsche.. so you can see where im coming from when i say "you spend more, you get more".
Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
its not the name, its the quality and attention to detail, although the name does add additional $ to the price which is not my favorite part.. as far as tires, i have yet to find a set of hankook's that were quiet but if you like them thats all that matters..i actually run the INVO's which are very affordable because i never did even care for the PS2's

nothing against you at all because i dont even know you.. but its just a pet peeve of mine that lower end car people buy awesome products all the time, but higher end car guys buy the cheapest stuff out there..(cast wheels and springs instead of forged wheels and coilovers (im in the business, so of course it upsets me))

flow form is nice, i just wish they had a name that went along with that "flowformstar" and not "forgestar" and them not being forged wheels.

again a pet peeve, and nothing against you... you say "dont pay more for name brand" but you went and bought a porsche.. so you can see where im coming from when i say "you spend more, you get more"
Let me get this straight, I have a 997.1 that I spent $50K on on. You have a 997.2 that you spent $75-80K --- and you go and get Work wheels for your car and then talk here about how much you like HRE P40's? Why did you buy Work wheels and not HRE?

I had Iforged wheels on my 996TT which were $4K and they were not a dime better than the Forgestar wheels I have now or even the Velocity Motoring (which cost less than even the Forgestar) wheels I had on my BMW.

Why would I buy coilovers when I have no plans of tracking my car but perhaps twice a year? Just so I can say I have c/o on my car? That is the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

I bought a Porsche because I've owned two in the past and think they are the best bang for the $$$$ for a pure driver's car with fantastic styling. Look at my signature line, I've owned Chevy's and Toyotas as well.......you really think I care what the badge says on the hood?

Last edited by amerlemans; 10-06-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Amerlemans --- I think the wheels look great! They look like 20s without having to divert from the 19" OEM specs. And nice garage...looks like we're in a similar boat. My dogs love their old LX and the X5 is awesome. If you're thinking of trading, I had a 2001 and the 2007 4.8i is incredible. Best SUV I've owned of many.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Let me get this straight, I have a 997.1 that I spent $50K on on. You have a 997.2 that you spent $75-80K --- and you go and get Work wheels for your car and then talk here about how much you like HRE P40's? Why did you buy Work wheels and not HRE?

I had Iforged wheels on my 996TT which were $4K and they were not a dime better than the Forgestar wheels I have now or even the Velocity Motoring (which cost less than even the Forgestar) wheels I had on my BMW.

Why would I buy coilovers when I have no plans of tracking my car but perhaps twice a year? Just so I can say I have c/o on my car? That is the most assinine thing I have ever heard.

I bought a Porsche because I've owned two in the past and think they are the best bang for the $$$$ for a pure driver's car with fantastic styling. Look at my signature line, I've owned Chevy's and Toyotas as well.......you really think I care what the badge says on the hood?
lets get this straight! LOL

i bought a 997.1 Cab for 45k and put the volks on it and ordered works for it.. also put KWv3 Coilovers on it too (not springs, not cheap wheels)

i traded it for 997.2 Coupe and i had volks on it, then now have the works that i ordered for the silver car.. and when the volks sell i WILL order P40's for it.. both the volks and works are forged wheels and very high end wheels.. the HRE's will be simply to give me something new to look at. Iforged wheels do suck, im sorry you had to learn that the hard way.. most of the "california forged" wheels as i call them suck.. because they are simply outsourced hoops with CNC disks.

Coilover purchase is not because you "plan on tracking" i do not and will not track any of my cars.. Springs are just a cheap/quick way to lower, what most people dont understand is lowering a car via springs puts preload on your shocks 24/7 which is not good for the shock at all and causes premature failure , which means in the long run (costs more than coilovers) but people buy springs and think they are the cat's meow until they realize that oil all over their control arms and bumper and then have to fork out the hefty cost for oem shocks (and even heftier cost for PASM oem shocks) coilovers are added to vehicles that are to be lowered to provide a proper setup for lowering said vehicle, not necessarily to be tracked.. although some high end coils i would say are pretty much track only (moton, JRZ) so not asinine on my part, but more ignorant on your part.

i bought a porsche also because i feel it is the best bang for buck and also very reliable... i did not buy for the crest on the hood, because most could care less and i actually appreciate the fact people dont care about porsches... means i get less attention from others (both good and bad).. unlike ferrari and lamborghini owners.

so please dont sit there and tell me "your car is so much more, etc etc, asinine this.. tahoe that." i had a car just like yours (preowned early 997) and felt the same way modding it that i felt modding my new one.. i am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.. i told you i had no beef with you and no beef with cheaper wheels.. just said A: i would change the name of those wheels if i were ForgeStar so people wouldnt feel like posers saying "forgestar" and B: i have a pet peeve against people that buy a 50k car and put cheap aftermarket products on it.. hell your OEM wheels are worth double those in an replacement value position.

please also scroll up and check the spot where i said "those wheels look great" and also the "nothing against you personally" ;-) not trying to start wars, just voicing my opinion.. which is what a forum is all about.. im not forcing you to buy anything, not calling you an ******* either.. just saying my 2 centavos
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the wheels look great and if people want to over pay for wheels then go ahead...

I have 2 sets of these on order...

i know the owners at HRE personally and still do not have them on my car...... they are great wheels just not my taste.

Forgestar provides a great product at a very good price point. The wheels are also very light for their size.

I also love OZ wheels.. those are under $1900.... and are cast.. does this mean they are bad too.... no and I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing especially as they make wheels for WRC, F1 and other race organizations.

I will be tracking their wheels and testing them... so in a few month i will be able to chime in more to their quality.

rijowysock you are entitled to your opinion... but i disagree with it completely.

Does not mean you are wrong, just means we are different!

BTW I do not purchase anything for my car that is not function over aesthetics...... and my car is heavily modded.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These wheels are light and strong with much more aggressive offsets...and not to mention they look great.

I can't wait to get a set myself...

Dave
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

offsets are 100% customs since they are made in California.

Blanks are imported into CA, then machined to customers specs in California factory.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

They look nice but they aren't light by any stretch IMO of course. Some Champions are 19/23 in 19inch sizes as they are forged. Nothing wrong with changing the look and keeping weight to save $, but I wouldn't claim they're just as good as forged rims.

Last edited by Chris C.; 10-06-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

rijowysock - you have your opinion and I have mine. I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

That car and those wheels look wonderful! Plus it's your car and your $$... do with it as you like!

Best

Matt

Quick Reply: New wheels are on