Sponsored by:

System Fault... A few questions... & Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy System Fault... A few questions... & Update

After giving my car a quick rub down with a micro-fiber towel, including the headlights, and hearing what sounded like the trunk-release latch engaging, i briefly thought "hmmm, I wonder what that was?" and then thinking nothing more about it, I went about finishing up some chores.

So, fast forward to me having now researched what "Sytem Fault - Visit Workshop" means. Sigh... I have an early build 2006 (in service August 2005) so I believe everything here points to having the front controller and solenoid replaced? A couple of questions: Updates provided in RED
  • Does anybody know the part numbers of what they had replaced?
    My old front controller was P/N 997.610.105.05, my invoice shows "Front Body Control Module P/N 997.610.105.11
  • For those who did not have this covered under warranty, what was the cost?
    In CDN$ (which is almost = to USD today) my invoice shows 1.7 hrs (@$96) and $233.36 for the controller, for a grand total of $451.46 incl. misc. & taxes
  • For those who had the controller, etc replaced (not those who just had the message cleared) did the problem come back doing the same thing- polishing/drying/etc ? Or did the new(??) parts eliminate the recurrence?
    ???
  • I'm assuming people use cotton now and not micro-fiber? (or should I tie a wire to my toe and connect it a ground when I touch my car? )
    ??? I am seriously considering attching a grounding strip to the underside of my car (in an inocuous location)
  • Lastly, is it safe to drive while the fault still exists? Besides the message, everything else seems to be normal!?!
    As I reported earlier, the mechanics said everything was perfectly fine to drive. In a week or so of driving with the warning I have had no consequential issues.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by schwartzwest; 10-13-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Updates provided (in RED)
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Really? Nobody?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
When I wash my car with the key in my pocket the door locks will be going on and off all the time. Fat thighs I guess.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do agree with that. The lock/unlock button on the key fob has a tendency to get bumped quite frequently when it is in your pocket.

That might actually be the cause of your issue.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
When I wash my car with the key in my pocket the door locks will be going on and off all the time. Fat thighs I guess.
No, the key has nothing to do with this problem. If you search the "System Fault" message, you will find a number of threads which refer to this problem being caused apparently by a static charge building up and screwing up the trunk release solenoid and possibly an electronic controller in the front of the car...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you see this thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=36022

HTH
Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by uzj100
No, I didn't- must have missed that one in my searches- thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a generic warning and could mean many things but there is the most common cause for this in MY05 and early build 06s is a faulty front end control unit.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

As you're finding out, this was an issue on the MY05 cars and a few early MY06 cars. Unfortunately, the static buildup of waxing the noses of these cars has a tendency to do exactly what you discovered. (Imagine the time thieves would have simply polishing your hood or nose and gaining access!)

Good luck getting it resolved. I consider that an engineering design flaw which should be fixed by Porsche without charge.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

My wife's '05 Boxster had a very similar issue... there was a DME fix that solved it. Might be prudent to ask your dealer....

Best

Matt
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

I had this exact thing occur on my Boxster S the day I drove it home!

Problem never recurred, and I always use M-fiber.

I transferred the records when I sold the car, but it is the front end control module that handles the trunk latch and I don't know what else. I'd guess it was a $400 part and an hour's labor, but just a guess - call Suncoast and ask.

I wouldn't drive it that way, but hey it's your car.

Chris
Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

From what I have gathered here, there seems to be 2 potential causes- either a static charge build-up or moisture perhaps affecting a component. I took the car into Scan Automotive in North Vancouver after briefly explaining the problem to them and what I had learned from this forum. They of course were aware of the problem and quickly determined that he front controller was not communicating with the car. They will check the required part number against my VIN and call me tomorrow to let me know what part(s) they will order for me and when they can schedule me in. (By the way, they saw me and had me in for diagnosis within 20 minutes of me calling- very impressed!). Anyway, lastly he said the car was absolutely safe to drive as all functions seem to be working fine and the affected controller has nothing to do with any of the engine/drivetrain/transmission/emission systems anyway.

Will keep you updated...

Last edited by schwartzwest; 10-09-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:21 PM
phillig
Cruisin'

I had the same problem on my 2005 and it went away on its own in about 2 days. I wrote it off to water (I had just washed and dried the car).

Hasn't been a problem since.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I've got a very early build '06, without that problem...or any real problem at 18 K and 4 years.
Quite a change from the 996.
The dealers spent a lot of time sorting those out for the factory.

On the other hand, my TPS monitor reads exactly 3 psi low at all 4 corners for the last 3 years...and yes I've checked it against a number of gauges.
Anyone else ?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:28 AM
trcox57
Instructor

One interesting little tidbit that a very helpful mechanic at the dealer told me....and somewhat related is that the time delay for opening the trunk from the key fob can be adjusted. I noticed that it would open up every once in a while when the key was in my pocket and I was messing around near the car. He upped it to the max value and I haven't had any issues lately walking up to my car with the trunk lid open.

Quick Reply: System Fault... A few questions... & Update