Sponsored by:

Navigation Updates on 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Updates on 997.2?

When do the Nav updates usually occur? On the BMW, seems they came annually, but not sure on Porsche.
Has there been any this year?
Also, with the DVD based units you just threw in the new DVD, how are the HD based units updated?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm replying because I'd like the answer too. Just looks to me like nobody has yet thought of this, asked their dealer, etc.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My dealer not sure yet!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

The 1.4 PCM update came out earlier this year. Not sure if it adds anything to the maps, but it updates functions within the PCM. It can be purchased from Suncoast Porsche or you can have your dealer install it. It comes on a DVD. You put in the DVD and wait for the install process to begin (ignition needs to be on and engine running). You may get a "Medium Not Supported" message displayed on the PCM, ignore it. In ~ one minute the PCM will boot to the DVD and just follow the prompts.

Not sure of the frequency of the updates. This has been the only one this year that i am aware of.

See this link for more information on the update:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...re-update.html
Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
The 1.4 PCM update came out earlier this year. Not sure if it adds anything to the maps, but it updates functions within the PCM. It can be purchased from Suncoast Porsche or you can have your dealer install it. It comes on a DVD. You put in the DVD and wait for the install process to begin (ignition needs to be on and engine running). You may get a "Medium Not Supported" message displayed on the PCM, ignore it. In ~ one minute the PCM will boot to the DVD and just follow the prompts.

Not sure of the frequency of the updates. This has been the only one this year that i am aware of.

See this link for more information on the update:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...re-update.html
This is a PCM update, not a Nav. map update. Dealer should do it free!
Thanks, anyway!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nav maps are on a hard disc, not DVD, so the updates must be performed by dealers only, I supose.

J.Seven
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM
TooSixy
Racer

I am not sure how the map on the hard drive is updated, but I suppose you could buy the update on a DVD, pop the DVD into the CD/DVD drive, and it will update the map database on the hard drive.

But I will find out for sure when I talk to my service rep next week.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There's no technical reason the updated data could not be delivered on a DVD to replace selected navigation system files the same way one updates a desktop computer from DVD media.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Took my car to the dealer for the muffler campaign and asked the service advisor about the map update. He didn't have a clue. I guess when Porsche releases a new map update for the hard-drive version, then we would know.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Who does the Porsche Nav? BMW was Navteq (they do many makers, but not Porsche). They used to send out update notices and order forms - prices were nuts - $200 or so.

As for that PCM Update, that one is another mystery bit. I looked at the list of "fixes" and my car does not have any of those issues. So what version do I have? My car says "V". How does that relate to "1.4" and which version number was the buggy one? I'm not messing with that update unless I hear a better explanation.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepow
Who does the Porsche Nav? BMW was Navteq (they do many makers, but not Porsche). They used to send out update notices and order forms - prices were nuts - $200 or so.

As for that PCM Update, that one is another mystery bit. I looked at the list of "fixes" and my car does not have any of those issues. So what version do I have? My car says "V". How does that relate to "1.4" and which version number was the buggy one? I'm not messing with that update unless I hear a better explanation.
I believe, in the past, NavTeq was the map provider for Porsche and many other brands. I am not sure who made the map for '09 because Porsche is no longer on the list of map updates that you can buy from NavTeq online store.

Here is a list of bugs that are fixed in v1.4 (for those who are wondering):

• "INFO" and "MAP" buttons do not function if "INFO" or "MAP" is used to leave an open route list.
• Incorrect display of remaining range when in "miles".
• FM audio is muted until source is changed to AM.
• When a saved preset station is selected, the wrong station is displayed.
• In "ASIA" coding, RDS does not function.
• Intermittent loss of XM radio.
• Display does not match with the selected source.
• iPhone: Audio playback does not restart after phone call.
• USB device not available until system restart.
• Only USA: Maps set to European styling (wrong highway colors, POI icons, etc.)
• Temporary disappearance of TMC (traffic) messages during a drive cycle.
• For Voice Control, the "closest gas stations" command results in a list of the closest hotels.
• Bluetooth disconnection with Nokia mobile phones.
• The first activation of any function of the steering column switches (i.e. turn signal) ends a current telephone call.
• The opposite party cannot be heard in the vehicle if a phone call is made immediately after system start-up.
• Pairing or connection with a mobile phone via Bluetooth is no longer possible, although it had previously functioned.

--------------
My car had version "V", too, and I had these problems prior to having the car updated yesterday:

1. Display does not match with the selected source
2. Incorrect display of remaining range when in "miles"

For #1, I was listening to an iPod playlist and had the AUDIO selected on the dash display (below the speedometer display). When I switched to another playlist, the dash display still showed the songs from the old playlist.

For #2, the remaining range was extremely low. I had a tank full and it showed remaining range as 110 miles!!!! After the update, it shows 281 miles.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSixy
I believe, in the past, NavTeq was the map provider for Porsche and many other brands. I am not sure who made the map for '09 because Porsche is no longer on the list of map updates that you can buy from NavTeq online store.

• "INFO" and "MAP" buttons do not function if "INFO" or "MAP" is used to leave an open route list.
• Incorrect display of remaining range when in "miles".
• FM audio is muted until source is changed to AM.
• When a saved preset station is selected, the wrong station is displayed.
• In "ASIA" coding, RDS does not function.
• Intermittent loss of XM radio.
• Display does not match with the selected source.
• iPhone: Audio playback does not restart after phone call.
• USB device not available until system restart.
• Only USA: Maps set to European styling (wrong highway colors, POI icons, etc.)
• Temporary disappearance of TMC (traffic) messages during a drive cycle.
• For Voice Control, the "closest gas stations" command results in a list of the closest hotels.
• Bluetooth disconnection with Nokia mobile phones.
• The first activation of any function of the steering column switches (i.e. turn signal) ends a current telephone call.
• The opposite party cannot be heard in the vehicle if a phone call is made immediately after system start-up.
• Pairing or connection with a mobile phone via Bluetooth is no longer possible, although it had previously functioned.

--------------
My car had version "V", too, and I had these problems prior to having the car updated yesterday:

For #1, I was listening to an iPod playlist and had the AUDIO selected on the dash display (below the speedometer display). When I switched to another playlist, the dash display still showed the songs from the old playlist.

For #2, the remaining range was extremely low. I had a tank full and it showed remaining range as 110 miles!!!! After the update, it shows 281 miles.

Thanks, good stuff!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Strange - I checked and those things work fine here. Must be something else to this, but I wonder what.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

-snip -

If your version only displays V, that means no version info... so I think that is version 1 (ie "V 1.0"). With the update it will show "V 1.4" rather than just "V" on the version screen, I believe.

I suspect that Navteq is the map supplier. Navteq is the data supplier for the traffic data via xm that interfaces with the mapping/navigation software.. would make sense.

I'd love it if I could turn on the euro style symbology as an option..

Quick Reply: Navigation Updates on 997.2?