Sponsored by:

Passport vs. V1

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the real challenge in the near future is the sudden interest in revenues to the state. A motorcycle cop with a laser is a helluva cash cow. The notoriously predatory speed traps around the Bay Area could multiply to the point that speeding or "borrowing" the commute lane might be impracticable.
CHP seems to be camping out more on my route between marin and sf. I just got my first ticket since high school for doing a u-turn near a fire station (the one in Mill Valley by Richardson's Bay with zero signs on the building or driveway). Went to court to make an appointment and was told that court dates are getting booked out 45 days out instead of the 30 normal days in marin. Two women in line in front of me got tickets for not stopping for a pedestrian and holding a cell phone with a wired headset.

Back to the V1. I got one for a road trip down to LA to help keep me awake. Most impressive performance was when it beeped regularly for about 3 minutes straight. I thought it was just being oversensitive but soon the beeps got closer and closer until it went nuts as a CHP passed me from behind. Twice though I drove right by a police car pulled over on the highway without any warning.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
BTW- The stinger is an IR missile and unaffected by Chaff.
Do you think the chaff would fool Ka band radar?? Maybe I'm on to something here. Military technology adapted for the discerning Porsche Enthusiast.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Do you think the chaff would fool Ka band radar?? Maybe I'm on to something here. Military technology adapted for the discerning Porsche Enthusiast.
If you've got an IR guided bogey, you just go to Boron flare countermeasures ...

Tony Stark explains.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you've got an IR guided bogey, you just go to Boron flare countermeasures ...
Since I have started using those, my driving pleasure has increased dramatically - half the fun is watching the look on other driver's faces...as they head for cover.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
I disagree. There is nothing "false" about what the detector is detecting. If it sees K-band, it reports it. The problem is you cannot discern what is false by beeps alone. K-Band of course. (All Ka is a potential viable threat.) You need more amplifying information like how many and in what direction and a knowledge of the area helps greatly. If you want true situational awareness the V1 gives the most amplifying information. There are many times I have localized a Ka band and knew within seconds it was not a threat and did not need to slow down. (Weak signal strength of course. If you get a direct hi strength its time to panic slow down.) With the 8500/9500 you can not make that assessment with a weak signal unless you actually see the threat.
Here is an example. You are traveling on a long overpass and you get a medium strength Ka alert. You are 20 over the speed limit. What do you do?
Here is what I do: determine direction of threat. If it is from the sides- no threat-continue. If it is from the rear and no cars or motorcycles in sight-continue. If from the front-slow down and monitor signal strength and direction arrows. With the 8500/9500 you MUST honor all Ka signals because you have no idea where they are coming from. You can do the same with K-band also you just have to really hawk signal strength for ramp ups and know your area. it takes many months to become an expert at what the V1 is telling you. As I said, for true SA there is nothing on the market better, but it takes two computers to optimize it. The on in the Valentine and the one in your head.
Never thought I would agree with a Navy guy.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I look for is a truck or van that has a larger radar cross section than my itty bitty 911 has.
If there is one behind me or ahead of me then I have an excuse. I have never had to use it but just in case. I would like to see what the cross section of the 911 is compared to the new F150 or a Chevy 1500. Newer truck drivers drive like maniacs now and if I ever get pulled over I am going to ask the officer DUDE! did you see that F150 passing me! you musta picked him up! The largest target is going to dominate the radar, so a F150 or New Chevy truck (they are more square in design than they used to be) should be the target showing up on the radar.
We have a full size cross section lab here I should measure the 911's cross section compared to a F150. I wonder if that data would be classified?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony Stark explains.

The 911 "Spectre", I like where your head is at CarreraGT!

(Awesome pic, BTW)

Quick Reply: Passport vs. V1