Sponsored by:

Instrument Panel Backlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel Backlight

As I drove through patchy fog with my headlights on this morning, my panel lights seemed to flicker on and off. Wondering if I had a loose wire, I checked the manual to see if this was a "feature." Lo and behold, on p118 it says that "the illumination is automatically adjusted to the ambient brightness by the light sensor in the tachometer."

I don't believe any of my previous cars varied brightness using a light sensor, and I have been able to read the gauges and seemed to have survived okay so far. Seems to me the feature unecessarily introduces slightly more complexity and a possible point of failure.

I'm curious whether anyone has found the feature useful, and under what circumstance?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I normally don't notice the "feature" except at certain times near dusk when I turn on the headlights but the dash doesn't illuminate until it gets darker. I've never noticed mine to turn on and off except going into a tunnel or something. I've definitely never seen mine flicker.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You can sort of "test" the lighting's ability to sense the ambient lighting by sticking your finger over the sensor,--it's on the face of the main cluster,--at the 4-o'clock position of the speedometer, beneath the cruise control annunciator light.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Originally Posted by cviles
I normally don't notice the "feature" except at certain times near dusk when I turn on the headlights but the dash doesn't illuminate until it gets darker. I've never noticed mine to turn on and off except going into a tunnel or something. I've definitely never seen mine flicker.
I think it was flickering because I was going thru patches of fog, causing sun and glare to vary. Distracting, but now that I know its a feature not a bug, I can ignore it.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

I have noticed this as well and I don't like it. I was traveling through a tree lined street at dusk and saw the lights flicker on and off. It was distracting ( I noticed it) and completely unnecessary. Also I turn my headlights on when it is raining and dreary and I would prefer the backlighting to come on in these conditions, they don't. This feature is poorly executed in my opinion.

Of course I love the car, it is spectacular, but the window operation and the instrument backlighting suck. (Let me tell you how I really feel!)

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel Backlight