Sponsored by:

997 C4S luggage space

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 C4S luggage space

I recently purchased a 2007 C4S and am dismayed by the lack of luggage space. I sold my Boxster S, which had WAY more luggage space in the front trunk. The C4S has 6 CD changer and Navigation which intrude into the already small luggage space. I can' t even put a small carry on suitcase in the front, which used to fit perfectly in the Boxster with room for a host of other items. When I put that same suitcasse behind the seats in the luggage area of the Carrera, it shifts all over the place when cornering as there are no tie down straps or receptacles for them as in the old 911's. Any suggestions for packing other than resorting to a plethora of small duffle bags ?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, same model and yr, and same issue. U just have to utilize soft duffel bags for any clothes/gear you are traveling with. That applies for both the small trunk and the back seat area. Otherwise, enjoy your car. I just turned 13k miles and it is still as refreshing to drive as the day I drove it off the lot. In fact, with my Farnbacher Loles Performance Plus pckge, and X-51 carbon airbox, that I did at 5k miles, it's a whole lot more fun than stock. It really is a tremendous all around car that can cruise very comfortably, and still kick *** in the twisties.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Use dufel bags and buy strapping nylon ties from a luggage store to secure them in your back seats
Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i pack duffles.. fold seats down and put more fragile stuff like laptop/camera's under the folded seats and duffles on top..
Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, I have the same situation, especially the first time I packed for a long weekend. Now I use the soft sided stuff, fold down seat for cameras etc., - but then I get in it, SMILE and get on the road......still big fun
Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Buy the Porsche fitted luggage.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

Take a different car.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The wide bodied cars definitely give up valuable space in the trunk compared to the narrow bodied cars. I purposely sought out a car without a CD changer for that reason (plus, I never use CD changers).
Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Verde
Advanced

You mean the WB cars (i.e. AWD) have smaller front trunks? Guess that makes sense, but I never looked. Until I got to this last post, I was wondering what the problem was. I can definitely get a carry-on (FAA sized and a bit bigger) in to the front of my C2S though it doesn't have the CD changer. It does have the nav DVD though. It's like a bottomless pit up there.
ANOTHER reason to get RWD!
Sorry
Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the front diff in the AWD models lessens the trunk space. My office partner with a C4S told me my trunk in the C2S is larger.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by vexed
I believe the front diff in the AWD models lessens the trunk space. My office partner with a C4S told me my trunk in the C2S is larger.
That's right. The front differential takes space where the C2 cars are able to put their NAV units and CD changers (under the plastic shrouding in front of the battery area). Therefore, the NAV unit and CD Changer in WB cars each have to go in the tunk storage area. I think the tunk in the AWD cars is also not as deep due to spare tire repair equipment under the floor.

Here's a photo of my T4S with shrouding removed.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 02-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:07 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point. I was considering adding the CD changer from my Cayenne to the C4S/T4S I'm considering though once I saw that it DOES extend into the trunk area, I'm thinkin twice. The Nav system seems to be hidden away though...no?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Good point. I was considering adding the CD changer from my Cayenne to the C4S/T4S I'm considering though once I saw that it DOES extend into the trunk area, I'm thinkin twice. The Nav system seems to be hidden away though...no?
No.
The Nav system, and amplifier, both reside in front of that bulkhead, thus taking up storage space. On RWD cars those units are between the trunk and the battery area, leaving more storage space in trunk.

I think these days, CD changers are a nuisance when you can install a Dension or equivalent and use your iPod for music, and save trunk space, and not have to worry about exchanging CDs, etc.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sadly, as you have discovered, the combination of cabriolet, and 4WD adds up to diminished luggage capacity. That was one of many reasons why I did not go for 4WD on a cabriolet. I wanted the cabriolet part more, and knew that the trunk was eaten up by that extra stuff. I don't even believe the special Porsche luggage will fit that front trunk,--it will all have to go in the back. For the front,--settle on the duffle bags and coats, etc. I'm very pleased that Porsche didn't just take that space away for all the models (4WD and 2WD).
Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 AM
MyEmily
Racer

I have a C4s and where able fit a FAA size carry on and a small duffle bag on top of it. The only thing I don't have is the CD Changer. With the invent of the Ipod, maybe lose the changer to fit the luggage.

Quick Reply: 997 C4S luggage space