Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving school

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
A bad idea to "load up" on the tail of the slower car, especially with the esses and the long run of straight track to get the point-by down the left.
I guess I am sorry I tried to be succinct. That is not what I did. Setting up a pass means 2+ car lengths away but filling the mirror of the car in front (so he can see me there and so he is ready for the point-by). What happened is he braked into me essentially; ie he saw me in his mirrors and his "driving" response was immediately to brake. Since I was kind of ready for it, not knowing the experience level, etc., there was no close call - just some unbalancing of my car. Other than driving like I was on the freeway, I don't know what else I could have done. In any event the phrase "loading up" is yours and nothing I said I did.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This is two problems. First: it's slower and the wrong choice in that situation to go up on the berms and the cars do not respond well to going over the berms in the esses. The instructor was likely showing you a subtlety of letting the rear of the car push up over the berm to help the car rotate.
Uh, no. The line is the exactly the line you can watch Cass take in the instructors video. There is no climbing of esses or running over same. Just the touching of the inside tire on the furthest. Which is the fastest way thru there. Bottom line: They do not want anyone too close just in case regardless of your skill level (hence the word "gently" in my op - maybe I should have said apologetically too as my video was running ). And that was my point: It is a driving school and not a racing school where 'offs' may be an acceptable occurrence/risk.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving school