997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav question - DVD compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009 | 02:59 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Default Nav question - DVD compatibility?

I own a 2002 M5 with the upgraded Mk.IV navigation system. It uses data DVDs from Navtech which seems to supply a lot of the automobile industry's navigation data. So here's my question: does anyone know if the Porsche nav DVD is compatible with BMW's Mk.IV nav DVD?

I'm getting nav installed in my 06 997, but I'm not sure if it comes with a nav DVD.

I will be able to test and confirm compatibility in a week, but I was trying to figure out now if I need to source a new nav DVD or if I can use one for both cars?
Old 09-22-2009 | 12:56 PM
flintworks
Advanced

You need to use the one from Porsche and whoever is installing the nav should include the disc.
Old 09-22-2009 | 02:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I would doubt it at the speed of technology, that a 2002 DVD would give you what you need in a 997.1 car. If you're buying the Porsche nav system for a retrofit installation, it would only be reasonable to assume that you would get the s/w needed to operate it.
Old 09-23-2009 | 12:22 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Mt understanding was that the Nav discs were just the data for the system, with the software loaded onto the system by fashing it via another CD. At least this is how the BMW Nav system works. My other thought was that if I'm going to get a 2009 Nav data DVD for my 997, then I would be able to have a more current data DVD for use in my M5 (I currently have a 2006 data DVD).

Anyway, the newer BMWs are even using a newer data DVD not compatible with the older cars, so I agree, the chances of it working across both platforms are slim to none.

Quick Reply: Nav question - DVD compatibility?