Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting from 3rd Gear to 2nd Gear (6 speed transmissions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
None taken. I guess BMW just makes a smoother transmission I can deal with... Having driven BMW for years, I am used to the isolated clicks more than the thumps and thuds the Porsche transmission makes.

I am glad I asked the board. Seems like this is a normal issue with all 911s. I can now see why PDK is popular...
I went from an M3 (E46) to a 996 and now to a 997. I much prefer my Porsche transmissions. I had the E46 for 4 years too. I do not think that BMW makes a smoother transmission. Any time you down shift into second, you need to rev match.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Every car make and/or model or even production year has differing operational.

One should not expect car brand/model X to shift like car brand/model Y.

Which method of shifting/operating is correct? Neither or both. The design is the design, and the driver should adapt/learn to drive the equipment in the way it was designed to be driven.

Assuming there is indeed no mechanical problem with the 997 in question, the issue appears to be that the 997 shift point into 2nd is at a lower RPM value than the OP is used to from his BMW. It is what it is. If the OP really wants the sound from the engine or something specific that he gets at the higher RPM level for entering 2nd gear at higher speed, then a different car, transmission, gear ratio is probably the answer.

I'd agree that a thunk or thud should not be the case if the shifting is happening within the designed shift ranges for the transmission. Outside of those - shifting at a too-high for the gear, or too low for the gear ratio - whatever the transmission does is what it does.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Now I am not sure what theOP is referring to. I do hear a thump in my car when shifting ( even upshifting with light throttle and relatively low rpms). It appears to be the synchros coming together. Perhaps it is because the trans is close by? It coincides with bump I feel with the balk type synchros in my 911 or my 535 ( I don't hear anything in my BMW).
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its about time to end this thread....people are quickly becoming (even more) OCD......
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing to think about...

A lot of people I ride with on track have a tendency to pull the gear lever too far over to the left when going from third to second. This usually happens on right hand turns when you are naturally being pulled to the left and you tend to pull on the shifter a little more than you think which will make it tough to engage 2nd.

Just a thought as I have seen many people do it and think something was wrong with their transmission.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

JK - FWIW evidence is clearly that 911 gearboxes do vary in shift quality. My 08 had a very poor and baulkly change and asking around that was not uncommon. My 09 by comparison is very smooth and has definitely loosened up over the first 3000km.

And I use my car as a DD in traffic. No issues and no need for something else as well other than the impression it gives to clients.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk335
But I ask you this. At 50 mph, coming out into a turn, should you be doign all this rev match stuff, or just taking the turn not worryign that your car will go "clunk" with the transmission?
I respectfully suggest that you particpate in a Porsche Club of America Driver Education (or similar) event. The scenario above sounds like you need to work on using your vision, and also rev matching and heel toe downshifting. These events will pair you with a trained instructor to help you with these techniques.

From the scenario you mentionned above, if you were using your vision to look further down the road, instead of 50 feet or so in front of your car, which is pretty common, you could better prepare for your turn in, including being in the correct gear, the correct speed and on line. Then you do not have to worry about rev matching, transmission clunk and other.

Once you are comfortable looking much much further ahead, and also proper rev matching, you will enjoy your car so much more. It is, after all, the best all around sports car ever.

In any case, enjoy the heck out of that car.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest leaving the transmission in 3rd for the turn at 50 rather than going to 2nd. The 997 engines do not need tons of revs to perform, there is plenty of torque down low in the rev range. IIRC you would still be around 4,000 rpm at 50 in third (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), at which point there is still plenty of power to accelerate out of the curve.

A few professionals have told me that one of the most dangerous things you can do is try to downshift entering a curve without matching revs. It is quite easy to lock the rear wheels and spin without the proper heel-toe technique.

You can always downshift after the curve. It may not be fastest but at least you will be pointing in the right direction and not be worrying about braking and turning.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Now I am not sure what theOP is referring to. I do hear a thump in my car when shifting ( even upshifting with light throttle and relatively low rpms). It appears to be the synchros coming together. Perhaps it is because the trans is close by? It coincides with bump I feel with the balk type synchros in my 911 or my 535 ( I don't hear anything in my BMW).
Thats exactly it! And the other day I tried driving with ear plus on. Just to see if it was a mechanical feel I can't get used to. I still feel that bump. It's not that bad with out the sound. But with the sound, it just feels unrefined and to me, not that sporty. BMW does not make a thud when you up or down shift.

I realize this does not hinder perfomance, but you have to admit, if this was engineered a little bit different, and we didn't have that sloppy feel/sound, maybe it would be an even better machine?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
edhchoe
AutoX

Do a Drivers' Ed and an instructor can tell you if the tranny is acting abnormal or not. And the instructor can show you how to properly do it IF you are doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: Downshifting from 3rd Gear to 2nd Gear (6 speed transmissions)