Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting from 3rd Gear to 2nd Gear (6 speed transmissions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP asks a question and a bunch of snob douche bags tee off on him.

Have a good day.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
jk335
Instructor

I want to thank each person for replying to me. Sometimes the truth hurts. My ego is not hurt, and I take each post very seriously. I have done nothing to endanger this car. Infact my dealer drove the car 1000 times harder on a test drive than I ever will.

First to address Cole328, I have looked into jumping into a BMW, and the hit that I would take on the lease would be a financial bath. I've weighed the option, and trust me, if I could jump to a BMW M3, I would, becuase that is what i am most comfortable driving.

See, the whole thing is the 911 is an amazing car, BUT, to me... it's not as sporting as the BMW. Here's why, the shifting, is notchy at best. The clutch is hard to modulate. It's a race car. Do I think I might have purchased the wrong car? Some days, that answer is yes. Some days its no. Each shift is so hard to smooth out, that the car is hard to handle as a daily driver.

Most of you guys do not drive the 911 each day for 200 miles. With light traffic. Try it, and maybe a few die hards will agree. Perhaps you are right though, I might not be the right candidate for the car. But I am stuck with it. And also, shifting from 50 to second is a feat that should be smooth as silk. Since when do you need to rev match a car with such balky syncros?

So I ask you guys, is the hit (10,000) worth switching out to another car? Especially if I really love BMW.

Also, anyone interested in buying this 911? I'll sell it to you and it will be 1000's under what a dealer will charge you. We can even run that diagnostic to show that I did NOT abuse this car. Simply, it's just not the right car for me. I am near Boston, let me know with a PM.

Till then I will REV match. And pray this car gets easier to drive.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

When one is using a car as a daily driver, hopefully it is easy to drive, enjoyable, etc. I have a 2008 BMW 535 as a daily driver. I like the car very much but had a difficult time getting used to the clutch when I first got it. I have driven many MT cars over many years and this one was a different experience. I am used to the clutch now ( 30,000 miles) and the transmission is very smooth with the exeption of the 2nd gear synchro.......very notchy. Overall quite good though. I still rev match, basically always. I think I do it subconciously. Indeed, my 2008 911 has what apperars to be heavy synchros. I can almost feel and hear the BUMP when shifting easily and the clutch is very strong as pushes my left foot back sharply when I let it out. But, I find it easy to use. I think it is a good idea to rev match to minimize wear on the trans. even it the trans seems to operate smoothly without revmatching. FWIW, I believe that the smoother operating MTs found on mnay Japanese cars may have more problems with earlier synchro wear. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never have a manual 911 as DD. In the LA traffic it would be a torture! Maybe you would reconsider if you had a PDK...
Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The only snob douchebags I am aware of reside in Canada.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing this is your first Porsche Car, it's completely understandable the awkwardness you're feeling with it.

When I bought my first 993 ( rough compared to the 997 ) I remember saying, WTF did I get myself into here ? 911s are not built to be soft, quiet and easy to drive. They make lots of noise and require some work in creating a bond between you and the car. That's the essence in owning a 911.

BMWs are great cars. I've owned the E36 and E46 M3s. Silky smooth and easy to drive. But I NEVER felt connected to the power the same way as I do with my 911s.

Don't sell your 997. Work with it and get to know it. 6 months out you'll be driving completely different than you are now and I''ve no doubt you feel one with the car.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by kdurg
Seeing this is your first Porsche Car, it's completely understandable the awkwardness you're feeling with it.

When I bought my first 993 ( rough compared to the 997 ) I remember saying, WTF did I get myself into here ? 911s are not built to be soft, quiet and easy to drive. They make lots of noise and require some work in creating a bond between you and the car. That's the essence in owning a 911.

BMWs are great cars. I've owned the E36 and E46 M3s. Silky smooth and easy to drive. But I NEVER felt connected to the power the same way as I do with my 911s.

Don't sell your 997. Work with it and get to know it. 6 months out you'll be driving completely different than you are now and I''ve no doubt you feel one with the car.
Very astute post and rational. I agree, I have started to modify the way I drive to make the car respond in a sportier manner. I guess the positive is it's a lease. The negative is I prided myself on smooth, crisp shifts with BMW, and Porsche can be very smooth or totally abrupt and neck snapping.

I'll agree I might need another DD and keeping this for parttime duty. I hope in 6 months time, after our New England winter, i can be more tuned to the car.

The option to sell the car really isn't financially sound at this point, so the best thing I can do is the rev match, and hope the gears continue to loosen up as they have begun to do. Funny thing, even at the dealer today, I sat in a Turbo and just though what a marvel to have a machine like this around to drive. makes you happy you have a base 911 ith 345 HP, but I can only imagine how much work a Turbo is to drive around town... Same goes for GT3 and if you are lucky a GT 2...

So I will stick it out. Perhaps pick up a daily driver sedan like many of you have suggested. If Porsche did grab a different approach to stick shifts though, I think I'd like the car even more...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
So I ask you guys, is the hit (10,000) worth switching out to another car? Especially if I really love BMW.
I drove MT BMWs for 20 years. And I loved 'em - but they have taken the car in a different direction. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" - that seemed true enough zipping about and hearing that straight-six sing away - especially in an M3 - what a blast. But they have gradually taken their cars in a different direction, following the market of affluent buyers who are not really driving enthusiasts, but are just looking for the logo like a "Polo" shirt. And the M cars - too big, too heavy.

That said, even as far off track as BMW seems to have gotten, they are still fun driving and well made cars. And compared to a 911, an M3 is a far more practical car with usable rear seats and a trunk. My point is you have to want the 911 and want a sports car. It's a quirky, weird, impractical, expensive car - that is sublime to drive.

Not knowing your motivation to get the 911 in the first place, it is hard to say if you have the wrong car - but if you think you do, then that's all that matters. I just went through that with a 550i. Great car - terrific car - just not for me. I was so relieved at lease end to let it go. But I did stick it out. And maybe that's what you should do - give yourself and your car a chance. When you get to the point that you don't need to ask people on a forum what to do, then you'll know what to do.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jk335
If Porsche did grab a different approach to stick shifts though, I think I'd like the car even more...
They have, it's called the PDK. I think that'd be more suitable to your driving style and expectation.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Porsche and BMW equally. I think the 911 is a very unique experience certainly and it is much more focused. I am a bit surprised as having owned a bunch of both cars I find Porsche is more about finese and BMW is smooth but ususally seems brawnier, in my e39 the shifter is heavier and so is the steering (motor infront makes a big difference).

A 911 is probably not the best choice for someone who does 200 miles a day but having said that give it a chance, life is about experiences and getting as many as you can, give the 911 a chance. Once you learn to drive a 911 well (not saying I do) it is one of the most rewarding experiences.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Don't ever compare a BMW (aka Toyota Camry) with a Porsche 911.
Your clueless
Old 09-18-2009, 05:46 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a mechanically based problem.

Have an experienced person you trust drive it and tell you if all is normal.

tino
Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
How about a mechanically based problem.

Have an experienced person you trust drive it and tell you if all is normal.

tino
A common sense post. How refreshing.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by cole328
The only snob douchebags I am aware of reside in Canada.
Awwwww that's mean.

Someone didn't get their juice and a nap today.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:04 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha he started it!

Quick Reply: Downshifting from 3rd Gear to 2nd Gear (6 speed transmissions)