Never Realized what a PITA a Flat Tire Is

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Never Realized what a PITA a Flat Tire Is

Got a flat today. Had 21K on the original P-Zero's, so I can't compalin about that.

Luckily I was in town, so I called AAA and they towed me to my home.

I already ordered 4 new tires from Tire Rack (Conti 3's)

Then I have to get the tires I ordered to him (My SUV).

Then I have to somehow get my P-Car to the place that will change the tires (another tow or find a spare tire/rim somewhere).

If I find a spare to borrow, I have to then get the tire place the rim/tire I took off my car.

A lot of back and forth and planning for a flat.

Now I appreciate having a spare in my other cars.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I just read something yesterday that run-flats appears to be going the way of the dinosaur. They're less and less popular because of added weight, lowered performance, early death on the road (if you drive on it over 50 miles when out of air) and a myriad of other negative issues.

What I can suggest is picking up a spare set of wheels (with tires) to get you by when the primary ones go on you. It keeps you on the road.

There is nothing simple about this anymore; fortunately, we just don't suffer from flats anywhere near where we used to.

21 K on the P-Zeros,--you were on borrowed time!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 537 Posts

The answer is to carry a plug kit in your car. If the flat is a simple screw or nail in the tread, you can repair it yourself (perhaps without even taking the wheel off) and then just inflate with a 12V air compressor. The better plug kits are self vulcanizing, so the heat from the road friction as you drive will seal the repair. Its not perfect, but in a car with no spare, it might be enough to avoid needing a flatbed. At least in my experiences, AAA is always a 1+ hour wait for service at a minimum.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dario, here's what I would do if I were you.

Have the tires you ordered from Tire Rack drop shipped at your installer of choice. (Tire Rack has a list of installers in your area who have partnered up with them to accept drop shipments.)

Take the wheel that has the flat tire and drop it off at your installer so he can replace that tire while you wait.

Take that wheel back and mount on your car and drop your car off so he can replace the other three tires while you wait.

That's two trips to your installer if you don't have a spare that will fit. If you have a spare, it's just one trip, provided you can fit the flat in the back seats, which you should be able to easily do with the top down.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
The answer is to carry a plug kit in your car. If the flat is a simple screw or nail in the tread, you can repair it yourself (perhaps without even taking the wheel off) and then just inflate with a 12V air compressor. The better plug kits are self vulcanizing, so the heat from the road friction as you drive will seal the repair. Its not perfect, but in a car with no spare, it might be enough to avoid needing a flatbed. At least in my experiences, AAA is always a 1+ hour wait for service at a minimum.
That is a good suggestion, and I thank you for it.

My P-Car does have such a kit. But the flat was caused by a triangular rock, about 3" in diameter, ripping a gaping hole in the tread.

Unfortunately, there was no plugging it.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
Dario, here's what I would do if I were you.

Have the tires you ordered from Tire Rack drop shipped at your installer of choice. (Tire Rack has a list of installers in your area who have partnered up with them to accept drop shipments.)

Take the wheel that has the flat tire and drop it off at your installer so he can replace that tire while you wait.

Take that wheel back and mount on your car and drop your car off so he can replace the other three tires while you wait.

That's two trips to your installer if you don't have a spare that will fit. If you have a spare, it's just one trip, provided you can fit the flat in the back seats, which you should be able to easily do with the top down.
Thanks, Ben.

I am probably going to do just that.

There is a remote possibility the owner of the shop will send one of his guys over with an extra 997 rear rim/tire. A friend of mine out here said he has been known to do this.

I'll know tomorrow AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
But the flat was caused by a triangular rock, about 3" in diameter, ripping a gaping hole in the tread.

Unfortunately, there was no plugging it.
Had the same thing happen to me about 2 wks ago. No plugging mine either, due to a significant tear in middle of the tire. I too got towed home, but was denied another tow via Porsche to tire dealer. Was told they will only tow you to nearest Porsche dealership.

Ironically, this happened about 20 miles from my house and it was after the dealership and the rental car support were closed, meaning they would have had to put me up at a hotel for the night!

21K on your P-zeros!?!!?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

tow to store, tirerack will ship to store.. done deal.

or leave at home, put on jackstands and bring wheels+tires to store and back home, and tq down..

or coulda towed to porsche, and had them do everything.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
fusion85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 996 collapsible spare just fits in the trunk, & can be secured with a strap. Or behind the passenger seat, secured by the seat belt. Either way takes up space, but not having one is more of a pain, IMO.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fusion85
The 996 collapsible spare just fits in the trunk, & can be secured with a strap. Or behind the passenger seat, secured by the seat belt. Either way takes up space, but not having one is more of a pain, IMO.
id rather have a flat then haul a spare and be paranoid..

i have a plug kit and other than that 1800 porsche till the warranty is out..
Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of what would happen on a road trip far from home! Carry the 996 spare as I do- think of being 100 miles from a dealer on a friday night- your stuck until monday staying at the bates motel with the deliverence banjo player next door.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw there was a "spare kit" of sorts that was made to fit and be secured in the rear seat. At one point I had all the parts nos - maybe a good motivator to dig that back up and order it. The whole "no spare" thing is really a dilemma - and riding with it in the back seat seems almost a cruel joke. That or "rig up" some secure mount in the boot.

I have the patch kit and jack, etc - but in my lifetime, most sudden failure tire issues on the road could not have been solved with a patch/plug kit - most were blowouts of some sort - pull out the spare and get going. Ah, the good 'ol days.

It all seems OK, until you actually have the flat...this post illustrates what a maximum buzz kill that can be.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
or coulda towed to porsche, and had them do everything.
Including bending you over on their prices vs. Tire Rack prices in some instances.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
I saw there was a "spare kit" of sorts that was made to fit and be secured in the rear seat. At one point I had all the parts nos - maybe a good motivator to dig that back up and order it. The whole "no spare" thing is really a dilemma - and riding with it in the back seat seems almost a cruel joke. That or "rig up" some secure mount in the boot.

I have the patch kit and jack, etc - but in my lifetime, most sudden failure tire issues on the road could not have been solved with a patch/plug kit - most were blowouts of some sort - pull out the spare and get going. Ah, the good 'ol days.

It all seems OK, until you actually have the flat...this post illustrates what a maximum buzz kill that can be.
So true. I'm lucky I was close to home (7 miles or so) and my AAA towed me for free...they do the first 7 miles free. ..thereafter $9.00/mile. That can add up very fast.

I gave the guy a $20.00 tip because he was very careful loading my limping P-Car on the flatbed.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uzj100
Including bending you over on their prices vs. Tire Rack prices in some instances.
Yeah, and these tires are expensive as is.

I paid $1,429.00 for four Conti 3's. This includes tax and shipping ($177). Mounting and Dynamic balancing will be around $125 at the P-Car repair facility I use.

If I had purchased the Michelin's, it would have been almost 2K with tax/shipping.

Quick Reply: Never Realized what a PITA a Flat Tire Is