Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Replacing 3M stone guards on rear fenders (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/523321-replacing-3m-stone-guards-on-rear-fenders.html)

dustoff6 09-10-2009 06:31 PM

Replacing 3M stone guards on rear fenders

Has anyone replace their 3M clear plastic stone guards
How do you do it
Help
ray

Edgy01 09-10-2009 07:30 PM

The best way as I understand it is with a hair dryer or heat gun. Soften things up, and then start pulling.

Many recommend the clear bra material as a replacement. Many of those guys have the templates for the fenders.

dustoff6 09-10-2009 07:36 PM

thanks I am just learning how to use rennlist
found alot of comments on 3M stone guard replacement
so I will try it myself
thanks
ray

rijowysock 09-10-2009 08:15 PM

i pulled mine off when i got the car.. came off clean.. not going to replace.

nosubt2 09-11-2009 12:37 AM

stone guard removal

if is difficult to remove go to a auto body supply shop and buy a gum ereaser that attaches to a drill and use it to remove the guard. 3M adhesive remover will take the residue off.

Tom Trew 09-11-2009 09:30 AM

I just replaced one last week. It pulled off very easily, just start in one corner and pull slowly, no need for a heat gun. I used 3M Adhesive Remover to clean the small amount of gum left behind along with the wax that had built up around the edges. Putting the new one on is easy too. Just spray on some soapy water (a couple of drops of dish washing soap in some water) wetting both the new guard and the fender. Lightly put it in place and slide it around until you have it where you want it. You then need a nice squeegee to push the water out. I use a body filler spreader, but any decent plastic flexible squeegee should work.

Premier 09-11-2009 01:54 PM

The factory pieces were placed there for a very good reason. The front tires throw up a good amount of debris that hits the rear fenders. If that piece is removed, rock chipping will occur.

Minok 09-11-2009 05:58 PM

Thats the truth.

Recently paved road near my house... noticed that some bits of asphalt were thrown up from the rear tires and put some black marks on just one area of the car... right in the middle of those rear-fender guards. Without them, that impact and dirt would be on the paint.

OldGuy 09-11-2009 06:30 PM

I will look horrible on the front of the rear fenders within weeks on a dark car without the film.

Edgy01 09-11-2009 07:53 PM

It's even more pronounced on the C4 cars.

MichaelL 09-11-2009 08:55 PM

Any shop that does quality detailing should be able to replace the rear fender film or have an installer for clear bras that can do it.

Premier 09-13-2009 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelL (Post 6895666)
Any shop that does quality detailing should be able to replace the rear fender film or have an installer for clear bras that can do it.

Exactly. Most quality shops would have access to precut templates via software so that it can be generated in minutes.

KeninBlaine 09-14-2009 01:22 AM

When I bought my Targa last year, the stone guards were missing. The car only had 5000 miles on it, but already had some small chips on front edge of both rear fenders, from debris thrown by the front wheels. As Edgy said, the WB cars catch more on the fenders since they are a little more flared. I just purchased new ones from dealer and had a clear bra installer put them on for me. I would have them take old ones off too, as they know how to remove film properly.

johnwb 09-16-2009 03:26 PM

I had the dealer do it for $234. Parts and labor. Hard to beat that. I figured that is so cheap that I can spend my time doing something else to the car.

Minok 09-17-2009 04:43 PM

$234 for replacing 2 clear stickers on an easy to reach area of the car? I'd rather pay what should be $50 in parts and do it myself, and spend the $170 I save on something useful. What was the parts cost for the two clear stickers?