Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Replacing 3M stone guards on rear fenders (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/523321-replacing-3m-stone-guards-on-rear-fenders.html)

Tom Trew 09-17-2009 05:12 PM

I bought the stoneguards from the dealer for $37.73 each. Check www.getporscheparts.com, great on-line pricing resource affiliated with a dealer here in the DC area. Part numbers are 997-504-825-02 and 826-02.

Installation took all of 15 minutes, so your dealer charged you about $800 an hour for labor. I think I would have a hard time finding something else to do more valuable than that.

mschwa3439 06-05-2010 06:08 PM

anybody know the part number for right rear stone guard for 997.2 C$S?

gofor28off 05-29-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by keninirvine (Post 6900966)
When I bought my Targa last year, the stone guards were missing. The car only had 5000 miles on it, but already had some small chips on front edge of both rear fenders, from debris thrown by the front wheels. As Edgy said, the WB cars catch more on the fenders since they are a little more flared. I just purchased new ones from dealer and had a clear bra installer put them on for me. I would have them take old ones off too, as they know how to remove film properly.

I just picked up an 09 targa and it did not have the fender guards. I asked the original owner and he said it was delivered new without. Is this a targa thing to leave them off??

KeninBlaine 05-29-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by gofor28off (Post 11402247)
I just picked up an 09 targa and it did not have the fender guards. I asked the original owner and he said it was delivered new without. Is this a targa thing to leave them off??

I never knew why mine didn't have them, but when I sold it 4 years ago, the PPI revealed that there had been some repainting in the rear quarter (likely during shipping), so I assumed that the stone shields had been removed then and never replaced. I don't think it is a Targa thing, just a coincidence probably.

PS: good search on your part, as this is a very old thread.

kswerks 05-29-2014 02:36 PM

I just recently did this, this is the only pic I have available. The stock (glossy clear one) was pretty beat up, I replaced it with the GTS version. I rather like it.

Basically, I took some blue painters tape and made some marks on the car on the edges of the original stone guards to mark the position. Then took a heat gun, just enough to lift a corner. The rest of it came off and did not leave any residue behind. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Then I took a water bottle, sprayed the fender and the stone guards. Layed them in place and started to squeegee the air and water out from underneath.

Pretty simple actually.

http://www.phone2forum.com/interface...jvm5g%3D%3D%0A

Mojo31 05-29-2014 04:04 PM

Better to use a clothes steamer than a heat gun. Much, much less risk of pulling the paint off the metal.

gofor28off 05-30-2014 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by keninirvine (Post 11402270)
I never knew why mine didn't have them, but when I sold it 4 years ago, the PPI revealed that there had been some repainting in the rear quarter (likely during shipping), so I assumed that the stone shields had been removed then and never replaced. I don't think it is a Targa thing, just a coincidence probably.

PS: good search on your part, as this is a very old thread.

Paint thickness measurement does not indicate any PPW so I assume just left off... No idea why. I will likely add them. I like the idea of painters tape to map out the proper application area.
Never know what a search will turn up... Thx,

Iceter 06-05-2014 10:02 PM

I second the advice that you should be very careful with a heat gun. There is a very fine line between lifting plastic and bubbling paint and if you aren't experienced with a heat gun, you will find that line the hard way.

As for the cost of having a dealer do this, well, as cheap as these things are online, you could buy about four or five pairs for the cost of having the dealer replace them.

StormRune 06-06-2014 10:36 AM

The good story: On my 2006 C4 I replaced them myself, working very slowly with a hair-dryer (Mojo31's suggestion of steam is probably better) and working only a very little section at a time off being sure to pull to the side, not directly out on the paint. I also didn't pull a wide section at a time, I just kept working a little edge at a time, back and forth, never pulling on more than about a quarter inch spot at a time. It worked fine but scared the heck out of me due to how well it was adhered to the paint. I was also surprised at how quickly the new one wanted to stick firmly on, be sure to get it in the right spot and work the water out from the middle or else pockets can get trapped that are hard to work out.

The bad story: When I bought the 2009, I negotiated new ones as part of the purchase. However, the dealer here won't do this themselves, stating they've had problems with the paint getting pulled off. But they agreed to pay a pro tint/clear-bra company to do it. So when they pro shop did it, they pulled off about a quarter inch chunk of paint near the bottom. Arghh! The good thing is, the dealer paid to have their high end paint shop do the repair and even before the new guard was installed I inspected it and could never tell it was repainted. We waited 5 weeks to make sure the new paint was well cured before putting the new guard on.

So the moral of the story is: Paying to have a dealer or a pro do it at least provides the protection of having them pay for any damage that occurs. However, with great patience, reasonable heat, and being willing to take a lot of time you can do it safely yourself. Just work it a very little at a time and make sure you have the new one lined up well before it sticks. This is a different game from window tint, if you've ever done that.