Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I installed mine last weekend and it had a very subtle vibration during idling also. I just tweak it a bit tonight and it seems to get rid of the vibration. What I did was at the connectors between the bypass pipe and the side muffler pipe, I made sure the sleeve were evenly divided between the 2 pipes and tight the nuts simultaneously. Also the bracket that hold the pipe to the chassis, I made sure I didn't over tighten it. I hope it works out for you.

John
Hey John, good idea on that too and glad you like it:P
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Tell your passenger it's a Sports Car not an electric Prius
LOL!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
hat could make some sense...

There was a customer's car that we were going to do a full tubi system on a couple of weeks ago and before coming in he'd developed a rattle etc.... And this was the issue:
http://videos.g33kd.net/997%202%2010...er%20Clamp.pdf
my car is 706305

can you explain better what the fix is.. i have hacked side mufflers and of course the aftermarket center pipe so i doubt porsche would even bother.. from the parts list.. looks like tons of stuff replaced..
Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has very little miles, and this fix (spacer) had already been done, so I don't think that this would be the issue. It is more of a vibration than a rattle. I will again check the clamps connecting the center exhaust to the side mufflers to ensure that they are centered and not "too" tight. Might get lucky Hate to go through the work of removing the system, reinstalling the factory muffler, waiting for the new pipe, and then installing everything again if I don't have to.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i took the advice of the one gentleman and loosened/removed everything from the cats back today.. and then put everything back making sure to only tighten the bolts slightly.. and making sure everything lined up properly...

started the car, put the AC to max (was always at max when i noticed the vibration) and let it sit while i cleaned the interior.. didnt notice any more rattles/noises as of now..

if it continues... i figured would place some type of rubber bushing wherever metal bolts to metal.. to try and give "some play"...

funny how everyone has the same problem tho.. i looked at that TSB and they say they replace the entire exhaust! JEEZ thats an expensive fix for porsche...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM
vinnysca
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGuy
Question for the forum...I just installed the Sharkwerks center exhaust on my 997.2. The exhaust didn't fit perfectly (looks like one of the flanges had rotated slightly during the welding process), and thus I had to slightly elongate a couple of the holes on one of the flanges with a file and then tap the exhaust into place. It then bolted on fine; everything else lined up and I've confirmed that everything is tight.

However, at idle, I now have a slight vibration that I can feel in the drivers seat and see in the side mirror. The vibration goes away as soon as I add 100-200 RPM, but it is there at idle. I've looked at the exhaust while idling, but it is not vibrating (heck, I can even read the logo on the exhaust with no issues). The side mufflers are vibrating, but not the center pipes. There is also lots of clearance, and I can't see anything loose or hitting the exhaust.

I haven't driven a lot yet...just 60 miles or so.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm talking to the guys at Sharkwerks, but wanted to check with everyone here as well. Any suggestions? Just a byproduct of the different exhaust gas flow? Or issues with the exhaust system now under slight tension?

I have not experienced any vibrations thus far. I ran the car for about half an hour on intermittent idle and high revs, while sitting inside and I haven't noticed any of the above symptoms that you are experiencing. There must be some loose connection either in your driver panel door, or some of the screws that hold the side mirror housing might have come loose too?

It maybe that some of the bolts that holds the side heat shields may have vibrated loose? I know that I personally tightened all screws and bolts securely to touch when I was putting mine back together.

My main concern on mine is the clamps on my OEM exhaust tips. I shimmed it to make it fit on the Tubi. I will definitely check before and after several miles of commuting to make sure they are not vibrating loose. If they are, then it means "back to the drawing board!" LOL. I am not loving the look of the TUBI exhaust tips at all.

Goodluck.

Vinny

Quick Reply: Slight Vibration after installing center exhaust on 997.2