Sponsored by:

Dyeing convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyeing convertible top?

The black convertible top on my '08 S cab isn't looking so good. The car has only gone through two summers (and Canadian summers, at that!) and is parked indoors. When I wash the car, I only rinse the top without soap. I have twice cleaned and resealed the top with Raggtop. The car is always parked / garaged with the top up. Never any bird droppings, etc.

The top now doesn't look as black as it did previously and has several marks on it - both shiny marks at the sides that look like they come from the folding mechanism and perfectly round marks on top that are coming from something else inside.

Has anyone re-dyed the top? Is there a solution? It's the one thing that keeps the car from looking like new.

Thanks.

David
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by entdoc
Has anyone re-dyed the top? Is there a solution? It's the one thing that keeps the car from looking like new.
The leading edge of my '05 was fading. I touched it up with a black Sharpie and it looks fine a year later.

I'm getting a few spots looking frayed where it folds. Since I drive with the top down year round I probably average better than two open close cycles per day.

Paul
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by entdoc
I only rinse the top without soap.
Maybe it is dirty...

Seriously. I have heard others say not to wash with soap. But given how much dirt can stick to your slick waxed paintwork, imagine how much dirt is stuck to your rough canvas top. I always give mine a quick soapy rub down when I wash the car. Never had a problem with the waterproofer wearing off.

My top is now 4.5 years old. It is nice and dark black. But the marks you mention are unavoidable. Every 911 top will have them. Those round marks are caused by rubber pads that are on the inside of the top cover. They rest on the top when the top is down.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 AM
entdoc
Instructor

Thanks. I gave the top a really good wash with raggtop cleaner then resealed it. It should be clean but didn't really help the overall appearance.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 AM
RPMert
Advanced

Put those thin pre-cut felt self-adhesive pads applied to vase bottoms to prevent scratching furniture on the contact points? Other than that that's why they call them "rag" tops.

Quick Reply: Dyeing convertible top?