Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next step for 997.2/Sport PASM on the track...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Next step for 997.2/Sport PASM on the track...

So, ran another DE at Pacific Raceways in Washington yesterday in my completely stock 997.2 C2S w/Sport PASM on Michelin PS2s. Running with the B group held my own with pretty much anything EXCEPT some GT3s (Both 996 and 997) and some modified Turbos. Oh, and the instructor driven Z06 on Motons. The common thread for all of the cars that passed me was they were ALL running R-comps, and most had modified suspensions. I didn't get passed by a single car all day on street tires (which I attribute much more to the incredible capabilities of the car rather than my driving).

So it looks like if I want to hang with the big boys, I'm gonna at least have to upgrade my tires. And from wading through all of the many threads on this topic, probably go with Cup control arms to get more camber than the stock suspension will allow.

I don't want to go crazy on this car. It's a semi-daily driver, and I don't want to do a whole new suspension (PSS10 or the like) as I'm really a stickler for stock. I'd like to keep this car forever, and I like originality.

So, I have the following questions:

1. Anybody have any experience with 997.2 Sport PASM and setups they liked? (Ron in CT?) Any suggestions for initial track/street settings?

2. Tire recs? Don't know much about R-comps. I'll need a new set of wheels, so could go 18 or 19s. Thoughts?

3. Any recommendations for shops in the Pacific NW with experience setting up these cars? I could go to the dealer, but I'll pay a lot more and I'm not sure of their experience on this sort of stuff.

4. Sources for the parts, and the actual parts needed?

Thanks all.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Some info here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-arms-etc.html
Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Thanks. That was helpful. I don't know how I missed that thread on my searches.

I've been through the competition and wheel/tire forums, but most of the info on the tires for the applications in which I'm interested is a couple of years old. Are there any new R-comp favorites? They'll be a dedicated track tire (with road exposure only to and from the venue) and probably no autocrossing.

Also, anybody know any shops in the Pac NW with experience with this stuff?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On tires I'm using Nitto NT-01 on 18 in wheels on my 997.1S with PASM. I have the max camber for the stock suspension and some toe but since I still use this as a DD I didn't want to go too far (yet!). 18 inch wheels and tires are less expensive and lighter, but there are getting to be more and more 19 options so shop around and get what you like/prefer.
Toyo R1A is also a popular track tire, and some even like the Pilot Sport Cup although it is beastly expensive IMO. And there is always Hoosier...
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend going with R-Compound tires, aggressive (ie more camber) alignment and pagid pads as a next step before modifying suspension. I have had good luck with Nitto NT-01 on a 997.1 PASM setup but using 18" wheels. When it comes time for new tires next I will probably try 19" with the R888s.

I have used Speedware Motorsports (www.speedwaremotorsports.com) in Redmond for alignments, suspension (on my old 996), etc and have been happy with the work.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a 09 C2S PDK with Sport PASM. I run CCW 9x18 and 12x18 wheels with Toyo R888 245-40-18 and 305-35-18, Pagid RS29 Yellow pads and a track style alignment. I can pass 996 GT3's, stay with and pass some 997GT3's. I just had Porsche Motorsport lower control arms installed so I can get more negitive camber up front and have 2 track days next weekend.
Originally Posted by Laertes
So, ran another DE at Pacific Raceways in Washington yesterday in my completely stock 997.2 C2S w/Sport PASM on Michelin PS2s. Running with the B group held my own with pretty much anything EXCEPT some GT3s (Both 996 and 997) and some modified Turbos. Oh, and the instructor driven Z06 on Motons. The common thread for all of the cars that passed me was they were ALL running R-comps, and most had modified suspensions. I didn't get passed by a single car all day on street tires (which I attribute much more to the incredible capabilities of the car rather than my driving).

So it looks like if I want to hang with the big boys, I'm gonna at least have to upgrade my tires. And from wading through all of the many threads on this topic, probably go with Cup control arms to get more camber than the stock suspension will allow.

I don't want to go crazy on this car. It's a semi-daily driver, and I don't want to do a whole new suspension (PSS10 or the like) as I'm really a stickler for stock. I'd like to keep this car forever, and I like originality.

So, I have the following questions:

1. Anybody have any experience with 997.2 Sport PASM and setups they liked? (Ron in CT?) Any suggestions for initial track/street settings?

2. Tire recs? Don't know much about R-comps. I'll need a new set of wheels, so could go 18 or 19s. Thoughts?

3. Any recommendations for shops in the Pacific NW with experience setting up these cars? I could go to the dealer, but I'll pay a lot more and I'm not sure of their experience on this sort of stuff.

4. Sources for the parts, and the actual parts needed?

Thanks all.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of places here in the NW to get set up. i run toyo r888s - somewhere in here there's a list of best prices to get them. i'll look and see.

i use another set of wheels for my track tires. send me a pm and we can chat.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have a 09 C2S PDK with Sport PASM. I run CCW 9x18 and 12x18 wheels with Toyo R888 245-40-18 and 305-35-18, Pagid RS29 Yellow pads and a track style alignment. I can pass 996 GT3's, stay with and pass some 997GT3's. I just had Porsche Motorsport lower control arms installed so I can get more negitive camber up front and have 2 track days next weekend.
mdrums-- did your shop mention if the 997.2 Sport PASM was different than the 997.1 PASM in terms of the parts needed? Or will the same control arms that fit before work on the new cars too? Also, is see the 996 control arms are a lot less than the 997 arms. Were you able to get these on the car, or did you have to pay the premium for the 997 arms?

Quick Reply: Next step for 997.2/Sport PASM on the track...