Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide - 2005 997 vs. 2006 Cayman S - Reliability/Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you're limiting yourself to spending $41K then I suggest you wait a bit longer,--a year at least, and then check the market for a 997. This is not the time to let that $41K burn a hole in your pocket. Try and be patient.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by DamonBoost
I have $41K to work with. What are my chances of finding an 06 997 for that? With CPO? I know the market isn't well, but I haven't had much luck so far...
Damon,

$41k seems high (way high) for a 06 Cayman S.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1252031032152

Casual search on Autotrader turns up a bunch far less than $41k. There are a ton of cars out there. As Dan said, be patient. This is a buyers' market. That is for sure.

CP
Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Les B
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been checking Cayman prices for a few months. The prices for used ones in my area (Dallas) have actually increased by approximately $5,000 in that time period. Apparently, it's good old supply and demand at work. The dealer said they depend greatly on new car sales to provide the supply of used Caymans (and 911's) they need, and new car sales are completely in the toilet, so they are not getting enough used Caymans to satisfy the demand.

The used Caymans seemed to move briskly at the old prices a few months ago. At the new higher prices, they seem to be sitting on the dealer's lot for a longer period of time. So we may have reached equilibrium. The Cayman prices seem to have reached a point where a regular 911 C2 of the same year and mileage isn't that much more expensive. I can't imagine why someone would buy a Cayman over a similar year and mileage 911 C2 unless the Cayman is bought for a track car or they just like the looks of the Cayman better.

Just my thoughts as someone new to the Porsche market.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DamonBoost
Also...

I guess one of my biggest concerns is the long term value of the car. I loved the fact that my NSX retained so much value as it aged. I am concerned the Cayman wont do that. I have more confidence that the 997 would. Am I correct in this thinking? Opinions?
With regards to holding value, I think the 997 may do slightly better than the Cayman short term, but both will lose value. Long term, who knows, depends on many factors. And it depends what you mean by long term, to me that's 15+ years down the road.

The NSX is extinct and was never sold in large numbers which really helped it retain value. Not so with any garden variety Porsche these days.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
DamonBoost
8th Gear

I wanted to say thank you to all you guys who gave me great advice. I found a 96 997 (33K miles today) immaculate for $42K. Its not cpo'ed but still under factory warranty so I am just gonna get an extended soon when it runs out I suppose. Its Silver/Black, not my first preference but I probably my second or third. As soon as I get it (next week). I will post some pictures.

At the end of the day, the 911 is the car I have dreamed of owning as a kid and I still view the Cayman as more of a Boxster. I see the Boxster's selling for 10-12K on eBay and I don't think I could live with that chance on the Cayman.

The Cayman I had settled on was 2006, 27K miles, Mods included Coilovers, Muffler.. I couldnt get the seller down to $35.5K as it was all I was willing to pay. He eventually came down to $37K (WITHOUT THE HRE'S) but we pretty much stalled there..It is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I would post the 997 but I don't want any lurkers out shopping for one to grab it out from under me it over the weekend..

Here are some of the options on it:
2 Owners
- Power Seat Package
- BOSE Surround Sound System
- Self Dimming Mirrors
- Sport Chrono Package Plus
- 3 Spoke Leather Steering Wheel
- Balance of 4yr./50,000 mile Porsche Factory Warranty (not a whole bunch)
- Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
- 19" upgraded wheels

Seriously you guys have been a big help!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wise choice.

The Cayman S is a fun car, but if you can only have one, I would pick the 911 every time.

I drove an 08' Cayman S for a day, then got into my 996 (w/ tip), and there was no comparison. Totally different feel. I'm sure the 997S w/ manual is even better.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Zipgun
Instructor

OP, Your concerned about reliability and such. But you make no mention of getting a PPI or having the car checked out 1st. I really hope you do as oem and or ext warranty is find and dandy, but getting a gold wrapped lemon would be a nightmare. It's a 4+ y/o (sports) car..Check whatever your interested in thoroughly.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
DamonBoost
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Zipgun
OP, Your concerned about reliability and such. But you make no mention of getting a PPI or having the car checked out 1st. I really hope you do as oem and or ext warranty is find and dandy, but getting a gold wrapped lemon would be a nightmare. It's a 4+ y/o (sports) car..Check whatever your interested in thoroughly.

Good luck!
I am sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes I plan on having a PPI done with whichever Porsche I buy as well as examining the over-rev print report print out.

Quick Reply: Help me decide - 2005 997 vs. 2006 Cayman S - Reliability/Issues?