Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE is disappointing. Any other switchable exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A couple of years ago I put on the X51 headers. It produces a slightly different sound. (A friend with a Carrera GT told me he liked the sound of MY engine!) I posted the install guidance around Aug 07...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...we-cats-2.html
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/512731-porsche-sport-exhaust-pse-getting-quieter.html
Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CMOS
kdurg,

The X51 headers really make the exhaust louder? I assume you have yours unplugged? And the headers still made it better?

I see you are in VA (I am as well). Did you have the headers put on locally?

Yes, IMO the X51 headers added much more grunt to the exhaust note...a deeper tone if you will.

I put them on myself. Took me just over an hour with all new gaskets and hardware.

I'm just north of Richmond.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the PSE, its nice but only with X51 headers and 200 cell cats. Otherwise its a little whiney. I replaced mine with a GMG WC center exit unit......

As for your options,

You can get a switch installed, in fact some dealers will do it for you, so that its either always on (all the way through the rev band) or always off. Some guys have the switch upside down in the cubby hole under the PCM so that its hidden. With the PSE connected thru the sport chrono logic, it will go quiet at various revs throughout the rpm band and that is where you are getting inconsistant sound. The other options is to "unplug" it...however, you have to plug it back in to go quiet again. Not difficult but adding a switch would be better.

Get the switch, X51 or AWE headers, and the new AWE 200 cell cats and you will not be dissapointed.

Jason
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About what should I expect to pay for X51 headers (the parts only)?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

www.suncoastparts.com

- $695, cheaper than AWE but also not as nice

Jason
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Originally Posted by JEllis
www.suncoastparts.com

- $695, cheaper than AWE but also not as nice

Jason
When you say the OEM X51 headers are not as nice as the AWE headers, in what way are they not as nice? Is the sound not as good? From the pics above, the finish on the OEM part certainly looks a little rough....
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CMOS
When you say the OEM X51 headers are not as nice as the AWE headers, in what way are they not as nice? Is the sound not as good? From the pics above, the finish on the OEM part certainly looks a little rough....
Yes if you compare the craftsmanship of the AWE headers to the OE X51 headers you will find that the OE units are very rough. I have even heard of dealers recommending the AWE headers over the X51's.

Jason
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys with your PSE....its like a fake orgasm! Lots of groaning...but no real xtra performance! If you are going to pay for something....at least get something real that gives you xtra hp!!! All that wasted money for more noise....give me better sex!!!
IMHO
abe
Old 09-03-2009, 10:03 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
You guys with your PSE....its like a fake orgasm! Lots of groaning...but no real xtra performance! If you are going to pay for something....at least get something real that gives you xtra hp!!! All that wasted money for more noise....give me better sex!!!
IMHO
abe
Wow. Are you for real? Why post your critique of what others might find fun or personalizing?

People don't always purchase with pure performance gains in mind, kinda like a cabriolet.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by abe
IMHO
abe
....and switching to quiet mode while driving is like wanting to go limp during an intimate moment with your girl!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default You Need to Smile

i have Tubi exaust, headers and carbon fiber airbox. Car sounds GREAT, perhaps it doesnt go faster, maybe it does, but the arrival certainly more fun.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abe
IMHO
abe
The sad truth is that no aftermarket muffler makes any marked HP gains on the 997. Some companies claim dyno proven results but its usually something like 5hp and I would not believe anyone that said more than that. Headers and 200 Cell are where the real performance advantage can be had. However, even then you are talking 10-20Hp at the most. So, people buy the PSE for the switching capability and its OE.

Jason
Old 09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Newbie...try do develop a sense of humor will you. 25 posts and you know everybody I guess.
abe

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Wow. Are you for real? Why post your critique of what others might find fun or personalizing?

People don't always purchase with pure performance gains in mind, kinda like a cabriolet.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Hey Newbie...try do develop a sense of humor will you. 25 posts and you know everybody I guess.
abe
Abe. I've been a paying member since 2003. How about you?

Quick Reply: PSE is disappointing. Any other switchable exhaust?