Sponsored by:

PFS Lease End

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PFS Lease End

What kind of experiences has anyone had recenetly with PFS at lease end? The lease on my 997S is up in a few months and I am not sure what to do. I like the car but the buy-out is around $62 and the book is around $50k. Are they negotiating buy-outs or just taking a beating at auction?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My wife's Cayenne S lease with PFS was up late last year. They wouldn't even extend it (as they had previously been willing to do) unless we ordered a new pcar (which we did) (so we extended for 3 months until the new car arrived). They absolutely refused to negotiate on the buyout - no way, no how is what they and the dealer told me.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
What kind of experiences has anyone had recenetly with PFS at lease end? The lease on my 997S is up in a few months and I am not sure what to do. I like the car but the buy-out is around $62 and the book is around $50k. Are they negotiating buy-outs or just taking a beating at auction?
they wont budge that much.
return it.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:09 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

BMW FS was the same way as my 550i was coming off lease. I mentioned it to the Porsche dealer and he said they have insurance on the residual value, so they (lease company) don't care and won't sell for less.

Seems like whoever is writing that insurance is going to be taking a bath, and already has been, on lease ends for a while.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevepow
BMW FS was the same way as my 550i was coming off lease. I mentioned it to the Porsche dealer and he said they have insurance on the residual value, so they (lease company) don't care and won't sell for less.

Seems like whoever is writing that insurance is going to be taking a bath, and already has been, on lease ends for a while.
I can assure you that whoever wrote the "insurance" they speak of, has already factored in the declining values in their policy/hedge, and have been compensated quite nicely.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a related question on lease end of previous cars, the "general rule" was that as long as there are no major dings, scratches or dents larger than a credit card, that was considered normal wear and tear. My car has no dents at all, but has many many small rock chips in the hood and front fascia...normal stuff from the highway driving, and all are less in size than a very tiny pea. I had the same issue on my prior BMW leases, and never had any issues at all. I assume same will hold for Porsche, and there is no need for me to have the hood "sprayed" prior to returning the car? I was more concerned I would get dinged for painting the car. Any insight from prior peeps would be helpful.

Lastly, on same topic, I have also modified the exhaust and improved the springs with the Techarts. While I am sure the safest thing to do here is return all to stock, if they have made the car better, do you think Porsche would even scrutinize to that level to notice?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 PM
wiggy
Instructor

I had a Audi RS4 that I returned off of lease. I also had rockchips in the front facia and they nailed me for it. It wasn't terribly noticable, but enough for them to get me.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Wow...that is amazing. I would have thought that was "normal wear and tear" that is BS
Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
wiggy
Instructor

Originally Posted by cole328
Wow...that is amazing. I would have thought that was "normal wear and tear" that is BS
Thats what I said. 2 weeks before the end of my lease, the transmission went out (on a 52,000 mile car), and they wanted to charge me $12k for it. After fighting over that for 3 weeks, I figured I wasnt going to fight the rock chips.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Curious what did they charge you?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM
wiggy
Instructor

If I recall, it was something like $300.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry, I don't know how PFS works but when you turn in a leased BMW it is pretty cut and dried. BMW sends you an approximately 3x5 inch plastic tool that has various measures on it (e.g. tread depth indicator, a circular cutout for acceptable rock chips and I think a template for minor dings). Anything that falls outside the lines on the guide they will charge you for. I'm guessing that PFS has a similar guide that they send you and that determinations of "normal wear and tear" are not arbitrary.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi offers a market-based dealer-only payoff quote once you're within 90 days of an Audi lease end. This allows the dealer to value your trade much closer to its actual value than your contractual payoff amount. We took this option earlier this year on my wife's car and saved quite a bit. I'm surprised other brands don't have something similar.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
They absolutely refused to negotiate on the buyout - no way, no how is what they and the dealer told me.
I have a totally different experience. My Cayenne S lease was up Jan 2009. I called early last Nov to ask about a discounted pay-off and PFS said no. The residual was $42k and no way I was willing to pay that. I called again in late Nov and PFS offered $36k. I declined. Called again mid Dec and PFS asked me to make an offer. I blurted out $30k. PFS called back two hours later to accept. The $12k discount was sweet and market correct. dave
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 PM
boolala
Race Car

Yet another reason why it may make sense to lease. Not only are you transferring the risk of depreciation beyond the residual to the lessor, you may directly benefit from any excess depreciation.

Quick Reply: PFS Lease End