Sponsored by:

V1 Hardwire/New Radio/iPod connector/ Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 Hardwire/New Radio/iPod connector/ Brake Pads

I hard wired my V1 today into the self dimming mirror per the instructions I found here on the board. It was fairly frustrating as it took a ton of courage to get the damn interior light out. What a tight fit! I was sure I was going to break something. I followed the instructions but used wire taps to connect to the ground and switched hot. Tried the wrong wires first, tan, brown, sheesh so I eventually had to get a magnifying glass and read the numbers on the plug to find the hot and ground. Of course when confirming for power in the plug with my electrical tester, I caused a spark and then blew the fuse. Replacing the fuse got me confirmation of the hot and ground but still no juice to the V1. Crap. After checking every connection I finally cut the phone plug and reversed the polarity and YAY it works.
On my car anyway, the red is hot and the green is ground on the modular plug, opposite of the directions I found here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-a.html
However, if it wasn't for these directions I wouldn't have been able to do it anyway, so THANKS to 1080i Addict. I also finally received my new PCM and now it all works just fine. As an aside, my iPod wasn't charging UNTIL I plugged the USB connector into the car as well as the iPod connector. I wasn't aware I had to do both. At 2010 miles I have used about 2 quarts of oil and the car is wicked fast.............I am saving for tires and need to replace the stock brake pads with low dusters, anybody have a good experience with low dust aftermarket pads?
Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Todd.....when I plug my Ipod in with the cord that comes with the car I get the message on the Ipod that says it is not being charged...I was unaware that you could plug in a USB cord and get the Ipod to charge. So I assume you plug in the male USB to the car input jack but where do you plug the opposite end ? Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 PM
AngM018
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
Todd.....when I plug my Ipod in with the cord that comes with the car I get the message on the Ipod that says it is not being charged...I was unaware that you could plug in a USB cord and get the Ipod to charge. So I assume you plug in the male USB to the car input jack but where do you plug the opposite end ? Thanks
The proper wire did not start coming with the vehicle until late 09's. Apple changed the charging ports on their new phones/ipod to help prevent people from buying non-apple accesories.

The new wire will have 1 end for your phone. The other end will have the S-video looking plug, and a USB plug attached to it. Use the S-Video for data from you phone, and plug in the USB for power.

You can now get this updated wire from you Porsche parts counter.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd in PA
... and need to replace the stock brake pads with low dusters, anybody have a good experience with low dust aftermarket pads?
Thanks
Do you care for performance and safety or cosmetics? If the former keep the OEM pads and clean your rims easily with a Swiffer Duster.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Dr. Z, my cord has one plug for my iPod and then it Siamese's into a USB and then the S video plug end, like AngMO18 has said. So I plug it all in and I get charged. Adias, I dont think ceramic pads or what I used to use, DS11's (for the track) sacrifice safety or performance, sometimes aftermarket pads enhance performance. I was looking for other owners with experience in these matters. I have Rejexed my wheels and they are easy to wash but washing wheels every two days is not fun for me. I don't have any experience with the Swiffer Duster, Thanks I will check it out.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On my car anyway, the red is hot and the green is ground on the modular plug, opposite of the directions I found here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-a.html
Hm.. just on wire color, I would have said green=ground, red=hot. So your car is wired correctly. (I've seen brown as hot as well on cars)

As an aside, my iPod wasn't charging UNTIL I plugged the USB connector into the car as well as the iPod connector. I wasn't aware I had to do both.
I guess Porsche should include instructions with the cables as its not as obvious as one might think. I've heard of several folks not realizing the USB plug also had to be plugged in (thats where the 5v charging voltage comes from since the round DIN ipod plug only supplies the 12v charging voltage for the IEEE1394 charging pin on the dock connector)

I am saving for tires and need to replace the stock brake pads with low dusters, anybody have a good experience with low dust aftermarket pads?
No pad recommendation. I painted my wheels a dark grey... so its not so much an issue for me. Not the cheapest solution, but the look works well and has that side effect of hiding brake dust.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Tutone
AutoX

Todd,

I am considering hardwiring my V1 but have been a little chicken to pull the trigger. Any tips on getting the light assembly out? I'm also curious what kind of wire taps you used and where you got them. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Based on Adias' prior recommendation, I've taken to using a Swiffer on my wheels every few days. It works well. Only problem is that my wife has suggested I learn how to use the Swiffer inside the house!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At least on my car, there is a tiny little accent light that shines down from the RVM mount. I just took that light out, snipped the wires, and hardwired my Passport to that. Works great!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by AngM018
The proper wire did not start coming with the vehicle until late 09's. Apple changed the charging ports on their new phones/ipod to help prevent people from buying non-apple accesories.

The new wire will have 1 end for your phone. The other end will have the S-video looking plug, and a USB plug attached to it. Use the S-Video for data from you phone, and plug in the USB for power.

You can now get this updated wire from you Porsche parts counter.
I my 997.2 (build date in November, 2008) just had the round S-video looking plug. After consulting this site, I called a Florida dealer who had the new charging plug listed for about $29. However, while speaking to one of their very helpful parts staffers, he mentioned that I should not leave my iPod (Nano) plugged in for longer than the short time it takes to charge as the software in the iPod will not turn it off after the charge is complete- and , that might harm the battery as it would "overcharge".

I ordered the plug anyway and will just plug it in for an hour about once per week when it needs to charge. I will also stop by the local Apple Store and ask about this problem.

Any advice from Apple techs would be appreciated.

T Silnner

Quick Reply: V1 Hardwire/New Radio/iPod connector/ Brake Pads