very little oil will be used, however, I justed wanted
to find out what type of experiences members have had
on long trips with oil consumption.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My experience with 4 different late model Porsches is the long trip oil consumption is the same as when using the car for a DD.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Soudns like a good opportunity to monitor it closely. Top her off with oil before the trip, then check at the end of the trip.

Generally, highway driving is done within a pretty low range of rpms (say, 2,500 to 3,500) versus around town when you are up and down the rpm range which would seem to equate to more oil usage.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Hello All,

I am making a trip of approximately a thousand miles this
weekend.

I have an '06 997 (5,000 miles).

Based on very little oil consumption around town, I assume
very little oil will be used, however, I justed wanted
to find out what type of experiences members have had
on long trips with oil consumption.

Thanks.
You frankly do not have enough miles on car to know its accurate oil consumption. It is probably ok but to expand...

Around town implies short trips. This results in a build up of unburned gas and water in oil. Short trips do not get the oil hot enough long enough to boil these volatile fluids away. As a result the oil level - even if there were heavy oil consumption -- would remain ok.

Now, on a long drive two things happen: 1) The engine oil gets hot and stays hot for a long time. 2) The engine has ample opportunity to use oil.

For (1) above any build of water and gas will boil away and oil level will drop.

For (2) above oil level will drop as engine uses oil at a rate that could be normal though probably at the heavier end of oil consumption than you would prefer.

What can you do? Prepare.

Take 2 quarts of oil with you. Pack securely so the bottles can't bang around or rub and possibly develop a leak.

Check oil level as frequently as you can at the outset of the trip. Be sure you check the oil level correctly. If level drops add oil to bring level back to acceptable.

As the trip progresses and you get a feel for the engine's true oil consumption and it is not very much you can back off from checking the oil level as often at you did at the trip's outset. If the engine's oil consumption is high (relatively speaking) you'll of course have to check it more frequently.

Lastly, were that my car I'd change the oil/filter before I left on a trip. 5000 miles on oil used in a car used for short trips is plenty in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 45k miles on my 06 C4S. Recently drove 1400 hundreds mile in four days and Oil consumption on a long trip is nil according to the electronic oil gauge. It was a brisk drive ranging from 80 to 100+ mph on the highway. Climbed several steep hills. So to answer your question, very low oil consumption. Brake is another department. Going to DIY change the oil this week. Will see if the oil are ok. 10k miles on it. Afterward, another brisk drive to the Grand Canyon this time. 1500 miles loop and see how she will handle high altitude driving. Please drive your Porsche!!! They are meant to be driven and they will listen!!! Had it past 100+ and she purrsss and wanted to go faster!!! Just be cautious and safe.. Have fun!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your thorough responses.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level. This trip will be a good
time to bond with the car.

I definitely need to get some miles on the car.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

You should rent a car. Don't want to rack up all those miles do you??
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You should rent a car. Don't want to rack up all those miles do you??
That is a good idea.

Why on earth would I want to drive my 997 when I could be
cruising down the highway in a Pontiac G6.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ford focus much better; come on you know it!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently drove 1000 miles with 997.1 and back 1000 miles in 997.2

I simply left oil alone before (was between the lines when I checked)

bought a qt of 0w40 mobil 1 and drove. If the car gets too low it will tell you while driving. So why fret, it still has like 10qts left in it and is dry sump so not like your gonna burn all 10 instantly.

I neve had a light, no problems. I would never top it off, if it's not broke don't fix it. All you know it wot burn a drop and all your fretting was for nothing. My luck I would top it off and overfill because reading was wrong and then be screwed that way.

With the amount of oil and sensors in the car noone should ever fret, but bring a quart just incase your in the boondocks and thry don't sell 0w40 when light comes on.

Goodluck on trip. I drove all 28 hours within 40 hours 14-got car and screwed around 12 and then drove straight back. Wasn't bad as the car is fun but a few days later it caught up an hit me hard.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Also why rent a car? Driving a focus is miserable slow or fast, most I've driven before was 12 straight in a Saturn and I wanted to kill myself the whole time. Passing and taking turns quick made the 14 hour drive in Porsche go by quick.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I drove from Raleigh, NC, to Keystone, CO, for the Porsche Parade in June, autocrossed the 2006 C4S, and drove back a little over a week later. I put almost 4,000 miles on the car with that trip alone, and didn't use any oil. I now have a little over 33,000 miles on the car. It used a half quart of oil during the first 2,000 miles, and hasn't used any oil since I bought it, new (including autocrosses and DEs). I change the oil once a year (about every 10,000 miles).
For your peace of mind, carry a quart ot two as suggested above, but I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised when you get back. Safe travels and enjoy the drive.

Jerry
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

IIRC, there is a thread on oil consumption and results vary. Porsche's party line - I don't remember it exactly, but it seemed excessive. I like the advice to carry a few quarts - hope for the best but plan for worse.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 AM
fusion85
Intermediate

Just returned from 2500 mile trip in my '06 C4 with 26K. Used 1/3 qt.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Looks Like the 2006 C4's are oil sipper.

Quick Reply: Long Trip & Oil Consumption