Sponsored by:

2009 CS2 Radio issues

Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 CS2 Radio issues

Hi All,

I am new to the board and have a couple of radio questions. I have the Bose system with the latest PCM update. When I shut the car off and come back later, often times the radio will be on FM when I left it on AM. This doesn't always happen but at least 1/2 the time. Is there a setting that could cause this issue? I can't seem to associate this with anything I am doing.

Also, I have the audio pilot checked on all sources. When I get up to freeway speeds and the noise level goes up, I thought the volume would increase to compensate. I don't notice any change. Isn't the audio pilot suppose to make changes with increase or decrease in cabin noise?

This is my first Porsche and I have to say that of the 40 or so cars I have previously owned I have never experienced the kind of engineering that has gone into this vehicle. It is a joy to drive. I'm just out of the break in period and the performance is breathtaking.

2009 Green PDK launch car.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't know about your other issues, but in my experience with my last 4 Porsches the increase in volume at speed has never been sufficient for my old ears.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 AM
greenpdk
Advanced

Anyone else having problems with the audio pilot? Does it work as described in the manual? I can't seem to get it to do anything.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i think the TP adjusts how much it changes? if it doesnt i have no idea what the TP setting does.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:56 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i just wish the "porsche" white screen stayed up longer when i started as i really liked that on my 997.1
Old 08-16-2009, 04:05 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by greenpdk
Anyone else having problems with the audio pilot? Does it work as described in the manual? I can't seem to get it to do anything.
First off, well done with the new car. It's a great time to get a Porsche. Like you I'm relatively new to them after many years driving other cars.

That auto-pilot control should make a difference that you can hear but in my experience most of the volume increase is very low down in the speed range, say less than 20mph. Mine definitely increases in volume around then but after that not much.

Do you have an individual memory setting that's taking the radio back to FM? Without looking it up myself look in info/individual memory on the PCM. Just a thought.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Default There is a new DVD that the dealer has...........

to address certain "issues" that the PCM has. Maybe this will help you. Unfortunately my PCM often doesn't "wake up" and I have to pull fuse D10 and reinsert it to get my PCM to work. It goes in the shop tomorrow again for possible repair. My PCM wouldn't read the DVD either, great...............
Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

I checked the manual and there are no individual memory settings that control any radio functions. My radio just keeps switching back to FM when I start the car. Maybe the car is trying to tell me that I should listen to more music.

Even though I am using audio pilot I always have to increase the volume manually when I get up to 60+ mph.

Any one else have these issues?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i think the TP adjusts how much it changes? if it doesnt i have no idea what the TP setting does.
TP is Traffic Program - thats the setting to enable the detection of RDS/RDBS traffic advisories and have the audio system switch source to the traffic advisories when they come on (and then switch back after the advisory).

Works great in Europe, where they have been using for at least 30 years I think.

Not much use in the USA where very few radio stations that carry traffic updates actually use the system, and if they did, it doesn't help much other than tell you WHY you are stuck in traffic and will be late, since the US road network has few 'alternate routes' onto which to put traffic in an interstate backup. That and the local traffic reports are usually one step below worthless, unless you are in a helicopter.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by greenpdk
I checked the manual and there are no individual memory settings that control any radio functions. My radio just keeps switching back to FM when I start the car. Maybe the car is trying to tell me that I should listen to more music.

Even though I am using audio pilot I always have to increase the volume manually when I get up to 60+ mph.

Any one else have these issues?
Yes, annoying - I have it on SAT, come back next day, it is on FM. If I leave it on iPod or Disc, that seems persistent. And while I am driving the tuner will stay on SAT even when I switch to other sources, but in the morning, back to FM.

And Audio Pilot - I'm not convinced it does anything and, if it does, it is so subtle, the designer seems to have never ridden in a 911.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

I wonder if the two issues are connected in some way. I can't hear any difference in the sound with the Audio pilot on. If the audio pilot is working for some of you, what does it do? It seems like the radio reverting back to FM would be a setting, but I can't find it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
cobla
3rd Gear

I have a C4S - launch car, and I'm having the same issues.
Turn on the engine and the FM radio is always on. I tried to find a solution playing with the settings but never found one.
Funny thing is that my AC is always on also, no matter what...
Was gonna wait till the first service to have it fixed. Not a BIG issue for me...
The car is a blast !
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is a 09 C2S and JUST NOW I was listening to my Ipod. Went into walgreens to retrieve wifey
(Damn Coupons!!) and I get back out and Nirvana and my Ipod are gone! (Its still there but wont play)
It keeps the Ipod charged right? supposed to? that would be stupid if I have to go back and charge it myself to play in the car!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

AC setting is configurable under the Info Options menu for personal settings recalled with your key.

iPod charging works with old iPods and new'ish iPod Classic 120GB. New iPhones and maybe some other smaller iPod models need a new cable or and adapter like this: http://cablejive.com/charge_converter.html

Audio Pilot - hmmm...emperor's new clothes? Might be time to bug service about that one - seems odd that no one thinks it does anything.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Don't know if it's any different in the 997.2 PCM, but the audio pilot in my 997.1 works fine. The stereo volume increases as the noise level rises (although I agree that the volume increase seems more noticeable at lower speeds). I haven't noticed the default setting at start-up since I only listen to FM anyway. I have the NAV-TV iPod module, and it does stay on whenever I restart the car. I'll go check the AM thing when I get home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 CS2 Radio issues