Sponsored by:

Run flat tires on a Porsche..sort of

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:57 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Default Run flat tires on a Porsche..sort of

Here's a happy ending to what could have been a bad story.
Driving back tonight from the Philly airport , flying along on the Skuykill Expressway I hit some sort of raised strip across the road, around the South Street bridge area...and I hit it hard.

Immediately I know I'm screwed, bent wheel and f**ked tire and the tire pressure monitor confirms it.
-34 is not something you want to see.
There is no place to stop to inspect anything at that point, and this is a high speed road, and while there are occasionally some places to pull off, I'm no where near them.
The thought of getting involved with the thieves that pass for tow operators ion this road is my worst nightmare.
Add to this the fact that I had just picked up my daughter at the airport.
I've got no where to even pull off..I have control of the car and I don't hear metal hitting pavement.
I've got nothing to lose, so I continue at a 40-45 mile per hour clip, just waiting for the tire to leave the wheel .
Long story short, I made a 4-5 mile trip, at 40-45 mph, down the expressway, off at my exit, up the Lincoln drive another half mile , and another half mile or so to my house...holding my breath the entire time, in between cursing the city streets.
I expect to see completely shredded rubber, but to my complete surprise a very normal looking tire....except for being flat.
The wheel had the expected bend, but the tire held to the wheel and saved my ***.
The wheel is off to Wheel Collision tomorrow, and a new set of tires will be ordered.. but daaaammmmm..they got me home.
Thank you Porsche, thank you Michelin...
Old 08-14-2009 | 10:03 AM
mie17
Track Day

good think you were able to get home safely!
Old 08-14-2009 | 03:47 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Another victim of the good old SUREKILL EXPRESSWAY

glad you survived

Quick Reply: Run flat tires on a Porsche..sort of