Sponsored by:

997 reliability, costs of ownership, tips for buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 AM
fiorsamo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 reliability, costs of ownership, tips for buying

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a 997 with fairly low miles, but is curious about future mechanical costs related to ownership. What are your thoughts on the reliability of 997s and what are common mechanical costs like for a 2-3 year old example (assuming one owner, good condition, etc.)? This will be his first car that isn't automatic, first sports car, and first Porsche. What are other things he should be aware of before buying?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Not the first time -- and certainly won't be the last -- this question has come up. In fact, that question has been posed quite a bit lately. Kindly use the search function on the top menu bar, and you'll find all the info you need.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are extremely reliable cars.

Tires are your biggest expense--and you can control this
expense by your driving habits.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fiorsamo
This will be his first car that isn't automatic, first sports car, and first Porsche. What are other things he should be aware of before buying?

Thanks!
I think those 3 will keep him occupied for a while.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure he is ready for a Porsche...sounds like he should work his way up first.....
Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask him if he's comfortable with $1900 tire replacement costs, $300 oil changes, etc.

I kinda agree this might not be an ideal first sports car. Only when he has experience with lesser cars will he be able to truly appreciate the feel of 997's. Back when I was younger I was easily impressed by a Mitsubishi as my first sports car and had no idea what a better car would feel like until I had a side by side comparison on a 993.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
fiorsamo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by steph280
Ask him if he's comfortable with $1900 tire replacement costs, $300 oil changes, etc.

I kinda agree this might not be an ideal first sports car. Only when he has experience with lesser cars will he be able to truly appreciate the feel of 997's. Back when I was younger I was easily impressed by a Mitsubishi as my first sports car and had no idea what a better car would feel like until I had a side by side comparison on a 993.
I also agree that it's not an ideal first sports car, but he is dead set on getting one and has the means to. What else is in that price range that is more "ideal" in case I can convince him?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

bmw M3 as a start very quick balanced front engine free maintenance etc porsche's are sweet for sure,. but there are many hidden costs
Old 08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Before you scare your friend off Porsche's all together, what has he been driving until now? There are plenty of high performance non-sportscars that cost a fortune to maintain, and in relation to which, a Porsche is not such an unreasonable step up in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
997S4KEN
AutoX

My steps: 69 Chevelle SS first car, not friendly in the turns hehehehe!, about a million different Mustangs, fox bodies, SN95's etc. 350Z and G35, E46 M3, E90 335 sedan. Driven quite a few 911s, 993, 996, & 997.1 and .2. I kind of agree somewhat, that maybe an M3 then 911. Or why not a Cayman, or Boxster.

My nickel.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The recent 997s have good reliability. My 07 C2S has been bulletproof the past 2 years. Just a reflash of the engine blower covered under warranty. That and the $700 annual servicing OEM Michelin PS2s still with substantial tread.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my few months of Porsche ownership, I've heard some good and bad comments about the car. While there is no doubt the car has lots of ponies and goes like heck, a few people thinks the interior is crude, and some even call it "retro". One asked me why the $2600 adaptive sports seat "vibrates" as if it was made out of some cheap plastic when the car goes over uneven surfaces, while another tried to push the PCM screen thinking it's a touchscreen. Friend think the engine is noisy compared to Lexus (duh), sounded as if I have a loose valve that's tapping. Mother in law asked why the dash is so square, not rounded curved like "modern" cars. And I hear over and over about what can I actually fit in that tiny trunk.

We all know we love Porsche for the performance and heritage behind the name, but to those who knows nothing about it and think it's just a car that looks like Nissan Z, they have a totally different perception of what we see in our car.

That's why I don't think it's a good first sports car, specially when he has no basis to compare with. But who knows, your friend may drive a 997 and fall in love like rest of us. Just make sure he has a chance to drive some other cars such as M3, AMG C63, Infinity Z, or even Lexus before committing. Some people are attracted to the creature comfort and techno wizardry of those car, while others love the raw performance and feedback from a Porsche.

My $0.2
Old 08-14-2009, 09:06 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a 997 is a great sports car, first or otherwise. This isn't an old, maintence intensive car that has to be kept up with. The way they drive are not lost on many people no matter what their "prior experience" is. They're just great cars.

Most of the maintence one can do himself (if he can change the oil on an old pickup truck, he's more than qualified to do it on this car, if he's so inclined)..

Heck, these cars even get good gas milage.

I agree that tires will probably be his biggest expense. But any newer "high end" car isn't going to be any cheaper to maintain.

I've also had 2 bent rims. Cheap (just inconvenient) to fix.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Many of us probably wished that they had bought their Porsche sooner. So it may not be that bad to have this as the first sports car. Prices are great right now-new or used. As far as the tires, the 18s are very reasonable and have a slightly better ride. They might even be cheaper than a set of M3 tires. The annual service runs about $700, about what an M3 out of service warrant would cost. Simple oil change costs about $150. Gas milage is great if you go easy. Mine's a daily driver and has been very reliable as has some of my friends cars that get tracked. All in all, it's a brilliant car to own and relatively easy on the wallet.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by steph280
We all know we love Porsche for the performance and heritage behind the name, but to those who knows nothing about it and think it's just a car that looks like Nissan Z, they have a totally different perception of what we see in our car.

That's why I don't think it's a good first sports car, specially when he has no basis to compare with.
I completely agree. Unless you're an avid fan of Porsches, most buyers simply see the badge more so than its true merits. All of my friends know what a 911 is, and some have even driven it, but none can ever look past the price tag. While they do acknowledge and can appreciate the sheer performance excellence of Porsches, the tradition and design "quirks" are simply lost on them. They never quite understand why the legendary 911 doesn't come with a Benz or Lexus interior and feature content. To a casual fan, the value proposition of a 911 is anything but reasonable.

Quick Reply: 997 reliability, costs of ownership, tips for buying