Sponsored by:

Out for a late night stroll testing sports mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Out for a late night stroll testing sports mode

I've always thought the sports button is a little silly like the M cars and the STI and this is no exception. When the 997 is in sports mode the car responses feel so spot on, like my STI, where the my previous M car's chassis seems to be playing catchup with the power delivery.

Sports mode of the PASM that turns on sports suspension makes the car becomes very stiff. In most instances the the dampening seems to crash over the compression on larger bumps and dips. For lateral movements the car is very flat. Definitely too much for even most tracks. Normal I suspect is just fine for trackdays.

Car hit 22000 miles sitting in my garage. I can't wait for my next trackday.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i disagree. there is no substitute for sports mode on my 997S, especially on the track.

additionally, i like the throttle remapping that comes witt the sport settings...
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure I'm wrong. It's just my beginner impressions. I'm heading to the track at the end of the month.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh hell, i'm not saying you're wrong, just that i disagree. the best thing is that you can have it however you like it.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Seal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try sport mode "on" but suspension in "normal". May be best of both worlds for you.

If you have PSE, pull the orange plug (engine compartment, right side). Trust me, you will like it.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

the sport button changes the throttle settings?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 AM
ruf911
Intermediate

In sport mode, the e-gas throttle response is re-mapped and provides more fuel earlier achieving more torque quicker giving a seat in the pants feeling. The sport chrono plus is like buying a re-chipped ECU and a different suspension system. When in sport mode, PASM is in firm mode, the ECU responds quicker, and the PSM yields later so you could drive further to the limit and even power oversteer the rear end a little. You cannot have quicker throttle response without the firmer PASM set suspension, however you could press the "shock" button which is to the left of the "SPORT" button, and the PASM will be set to firm. All PASM settings and ECU re-mapping are returned to the default setting of "NORMAL" when you turn the ignition off. I do like driving in NORMAL and when you are approaching a tight corner, press the SPORT button, and the car instantaneously changes modes. The SPORT mode is a little too firm for city driving but it is better on smooth pavement or highway driving.

2006 997S, Arctic silver/black, factory aerokit, GT3 RS Cup lower front lip, Sport Chrono Plus, TechArt stage III rear spoiler, 6spd, GT3RS interior (Alcantara wheel, shift stick, black gauges), Victor 19" Lemans wheels, staggered polished exhaust tips, 10k mi.
1995 993, Alpine white/black, aerokit 1b, MO30 lowered, 18" competition polished lip wheels, RUF polished exhaust tips, motorsound, 35k mi.
1988 911 Carrera, Alpine white/ox red, targa, factory front & rear spoilers, sold @ 51k mi.
1987 994, Pewter silver/black, sold
1969 911T, Guards red/black, totally restored, sold
Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ruf911
The sport chrono plus is like buying a re-chipped ECU and a different suspension system.
Well, no, not really. When you re-chip your ECU it's ostensibly to produce more power from the engine at the expense of fuel economy by moving away from conservative engine settings dictated by the factory.

The throttle remap of the sport chrono does nothing more than changing the throttle curve of your accelerator pedal. It adds no horsepower and adds no torque. The car doesn't accelerate any faster with sport on as compared to sport off. It does not produce a change in the performance of the car. It doesn't provide "more torque, quicker" it just provides the same torque with less right foot movement.

All it changes is how far you have to move your foot in order to accelerate. At wide open throttle there is absolutely no difference between the sport and non-sport settings (i.e. if you "floor it" it's no different).

Personally, I don't care for the sport throttle setting when on the track. I prefer to have more control over my power delivery. Making the accelerator pedal more twitchy just makes it harder for me to be smooth on the power when coming out of a corner. I don't understand why anyone would want to make it harder to drive smoothly in exchange for no actual benefit.

I can see why some people enjoy the setting on the street, though, where it doesn't really matter.

I do love the PASM, though, and for most tracks prefer the sport suspension setting over normal. On the street (at least on the crappy roads here in Houston) the car stays in normal mode though and sometimes I wish I had a "buick" setting beyond normal.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Personally, I don't care for the sport throttle setting when on the track. I prefer to have more control over my power delivery. Making the accelerator pedal more twitchy just makes it harder for me to be smooth on the power when coming out of a corner. I don't understand why anyone would want to make it harder to drive smoothly in exchange for no actual benefit.
Whereas I, in the exact same car, prefer the sport throttle setting on the track. I find a smooth heel-toe downshift much easier with the sport throttle setting, specifically because it causes the engine to respond to a smaller amount of pedal movement. It's a lot easier for me to be delicate accelerating out of corners than to mash the gas pedal even harder with my heel as I try to heel-toe downshift coming in to a corner. I'm female, so I have smaller-ish feet, so my heel-toe is done with my toe and my heel, rather than with the sides of my feet, as others can do.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
brutusflash
Advanced

"Personally, I don't care for the sport throttle setting when on the track. I prefer to have more control over my power delivery. Making the accelerator pedal more twitchy just makes it harder for me to be smooth on the power when coming out of a corner. I don't understand why anyone would want to make it harder to drive smoothly in exchange for no actual benefit."

Agree 100%, especially in the rain, when throttle modulation is even more important. I never warmed up to the throttle part of sport chrono and if I have another 911 or boxster/cayman, would not order it. The dash does look much better without it.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brutusflash. Nice color choice on your new GT3!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
ruf911
Intermediate

I do love the PASM, though, and for most tracks prefer the sport suspension setting over normal. On the street (at least on the crappy roads here in Houston) the car stays in normal mode though and sometimes I wish I had a "buick" setting beyond normal.I wish there is also a "buick"mode or less firm mode than "NORMAL" at times when driving the bad pot hole streets. MY95 993 with the MO30 is a much smoother DD car on the street with good firm control, but the MY07 997 with PASM is a different animal. At times, when driven in NORMAL mode over the same streets, it feels like a roller coaster, but when the time yields to driving hard, it performs like no other 911 model before it...KUDOS to PAG.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 997 C2S arctic silver, factory aerokit, GT3RS cup front lip, TechArt stage III rear spoiler, GT3RS interior, Victor 19" wheels
1995 993 C2 grand prix white, factory aerokit 1b, MO30 lowered, 18” polished lip wheels
1988 911 Carrera grand prix white, factory front & rear spoilers (SOLD and missed, good sound, very nimble, perfect city gearing)
1986 944 pewter silver (SOLD, very balanced 50/50 handling Porsche)
1969 911T guards red (SOLD
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by equiraptor
Whereas I, in the exact same car, prefer the sport throttle setting on the track. I find a smooth heel-toe downshift much easier with the sport throttle setting, specifically because it causes the engine to respond to a smaller amount of pedal movement. It's a lot easier for me to be delicate accelerating out of corners than to mash the gas pedal even harder with my heel as I try to heel-toe downshift coming in to a corner. I'm female, so I have smaller-ish feet, so my heel-toe is done with my toe and my heel, rather than with the sides of my feet, as others can do.
I'm just getting used to my 911 S, which I've had now for less than a month. I've got smaller feet (for a guy) and while I could do near perfect heel/toe in other cars, my heel doesn't reach the gas pedal well in the 911. I'll have to try your sport mode technique...

I love sport mode, but the roads where I live are just too poor to use it on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Out for a late night stroll testing sports mode