Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a fair price for a lightly optioned, untitled and undriven 08 C2 from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 PM
pickles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a fair price for a lightly optioned, untitled and undriven 08 C2 from dealer?

There are a few still hanging around. Many with light options. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but dealers have some high list prices and even when they discuss their discounts, they are still not as low as I feel they should be.

Is it unreasonable to expect a dealer to sell an undriven (in most cases less than 100 miles, in a few cases less than 750 miles) for under $60k, presuming a light set of standard options (xenons, heated seats, bose, power seats), and standard colors (black, gray, silver)?

If so, what is a fair price for these cars?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pickles
There are a few still hanging around. Many with light options. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but dealers have some high list prices and even when they discuss their discounts, they are still not as low as I feel they should be.

Is it unreasonable to expect a dealer to sell an undriven (in most cases less than 100 miles, in a few cases less than 750 miles) for under $60k, presuming a light set of standard options (xenons, heated seats, bose, power seats), and standard colors (black, gray, silver)?

If so, what is a fair price for these cars?
Fair's got nothing to do with it.

SF bay area dealer advertising 08 Targa 4 144 miles $79625 marked down from $99625. Arctic silver, Xenons, 5mm spacers 19" wheels.

Carrera 4S 08 118 miles for $79710 marked down from $108710. GT Silver, sport exhaust, Tip, sport chrono plus.

For both cars, phone #: 5593415734

Try to find these cars -- any cars you might be interested in -- on web. Use Autotrader web site search. Or call and find dealer's location and then visit its web site to view current inventory and "specials". I found sometimes dealer had cars on web for a few thousand less than price on car on lot.

I would think you could find similar deals almost anywhere. All Porsche dealers in same world of hurt.

Also, if cars discounted already I know there's room on table for more discount. Two months or so looking to replace totaled Cayman S and visited several dealers and every one showed me discounted cars and every one said there were a few thousand more to be had in discounts.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-08-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Typos (sigh).
Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you including the engine?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:01 AM
pickles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Are you including the engine?
So you're saying no, you don't think it's a fair offer, say $55k, for an undriven left over sparsely optioned base C2?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 AM
pickles
Intermediate

Macster, good point, "fair" doesn't have anything to do with it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I can vary depending on the area of the country but a leftover 2008 Carrera with about 100 miles or less should go for about 20% off list. If the car came from an auction it should be even less.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:22 AM
pickles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I can vary depending on the area of the country but a leftover 2008 Carrera with about 100 miles or less should go for about 20% off list. If the car came from an auction it should be even less.
Considering that 09s are about to become prior model year and some were recently going for 20% off, wouldn't an 08 really be more than 20%?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

My guess is that a 2010 my be 5 -10 % off if you order one, depending on the region? My guess is that a 2009 may be 8 - 15% off? I got my 2008 for about 23% off list. These are not easy to find in my part of the country. Again, it all depends on the region, the particular dealer's situation, availability. There are a number of cars out there that are picked up by dealers from auctions. They could be good deals or.....
Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure, Pickles, you can offer $55-60K but be ready to NOT be taken seriously, and they may not even counter your offer. You should expect to receive a 20-25% minimum discount off MSRP. Depending on your negotiation skills, and the level of motivation to sell on the dealers behalf, you can get a discounted price off MSRP that could exceed 25%.

I think a dealership will sit on a car at the +30% level, and just wait it out for a while.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:23 AM
pickles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Sure, Pickles, you can offer $55-60K but be ready to NOT be taken seriously, and they may not even counter your offer. You should expect to receive a 20-25% minimum discount off MSRP. Depending on your negotiation skills, and the level of motivation to sell on the dealers behalf, you can get a discounted price off MSRP that could exceed 25%.

I think a dealership will sit on a car at the +30% level, and just wait it out for a while.
What if it has 2-3k miles on it? Or if it's a poor color for resale (in its region), like Yellow or Red.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

What if it has 2-3k miles on it? Or if it's a poor color for resale (in its region), like Yellow or Red.
Car could be painted in polka dots and dealer would not admit car is in a bad color.

Put on your car buying game face and go visit dealer and make offer. Price not fact only an opinion. You want to come across as a serious buyer one who is ready to buy now, and if you don't get a deal you can be comfortable with at this dealer for one the car he has you'll be going elsewhere to buy a car, the same day. Rattle off various cars for sale at other dealers, even other brands, and used cars, both offered by dealers and private sellers. Rattle them off even if you wouldn't be caught dead in another brand of car. Dealer doesn't have to know that.

If you can't come to a deal, walk away. Watch car lot and car. In a couple of weeks -- when 2010s show up -- try again if car still there or another car you like still there. Generally factory rebates some money to dealers for any carryovers the dealer has. Carryovers are cars that are last year's (or year before) models. These carryovers become one year old when new model year cars show up.

I've watched 08 cars that I was offered several months ago sit on dealers lots now for that time and some of these cars still remain on dealers lots.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Macster
Race Director

So you're saying no, you don't think it's a fair offer, say $55k, for an undriven left over sparsely optioned base C2?
Rule #1 is anything car salesman tells you is intended to get you to pay as much for car as possible and buy car as soon as possible.

Research your market. There are some good deals to be had on 08 cars.

And stop thinking "fair". This implies you are concerned about seller's situation. You shouldn't be. Car dealers can take care of themselves. Worry about your situation.

Decide what you are willing to pay for car the car and if your market research is not totally worthless or wrong you'll do alright.

You can always walk away. And you can always offer more money.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Find a car that you want/like and set a price you are willing to pay, within reason (probably not more than 25% to 27% off MSRP), based upon the good advice already given above. Then offer them $3K to $4K less than your price and see what they say. If you get the car for your price or very close to your price, buy it! Just be prepared to walk if you don't like the price and move on to the next car on your list.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

If a dealer has survived this long to not let a car go at a ridiculous price I see no reason why they should now.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
If a dealer has survived this long to not let a car go at a ridiculous price I see no reason why they should now.
"ridiculous" is relative. What would we use to describe prices in another time when it was MSRP plus some market adjustment or additional dealer markup?

Dealer might not let car go for much if anything belowed advertised price. Dealer could even hold out for sticker.

I know of several Porsche dealers though that are in some hurt. I don't feel good about this. I know some of the people that work at these dealerships and I wish times were better, for their sake, for my sake, for everybody's sake.

But if one has the money to spend on a car and wants the car now's the time to see what one can buy the car for.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: What is a fair price for a lightly optioned, untitled and undriven 08 C2 from dealer?