Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM or no PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually drive around with the PASM button off when the car has a full tank, as she feels more planted then. once I get to about 1/2 tank, I always put the button on when driving, as that extra firmness and stablility is nice. If used all of the time, I find the car a tad stiff / bumpy on non-racetrack pavement (unless its Sebring, and then its all crap pavement....but man, o man, what a track!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fahrer
My understanding is that PASM is alway on. In the normal mode the suspension ( actually damping) is softer but will automatically firm up if needed to enhance control. When the button is pressed ( light on) my understandingis that the shock absorbers ar firmed up and will automatically become less firm if more compliance is need such as with badly broken pavement, etc.
Perfect description, you are right on the money.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If you plan to modify the car for the track and go with KW, Motons or equivalent, save your money. If not, by all means buy PASM. PASM Sport lowers the car almost an inch and is a bit firm with 19 inch wheels unless you are a corner carver. PASM in sport mode (push the shock absorber button) is very firm and the ride is similar to a GT3 - Wonderful if you track the car and nice on winding but smooth roads. It's a question of how sporty do you want to be? Sport PASM also comes with the limited slip differential - another nice feature if you ever plan to participate in a track day.

Best,
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
IanDTP
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thank you for all of the replies. I guess I should've said what I would use the car for. I have an 08 BMW 335i vert that I use for pleasure, and a V8 BMW X5 for my DD. I haven't gone to a track event in a few years, and that's not the intended purpose for the 911. Just a car to drive around a few days a week, cornering fast (and confidently) is important to me. As is the car's traction in wet/rainy conditions. I guess I'm just wondering if it's worth buying a C4S cab instead of a regular C4 cab? From what I've read on here, the differences are bigger brakes, PASM, and of course the more powerful engine. If anyone has had any direct comparisons (coupe or cab, doesn't matter) between a C4 and a C4S, that would be appreciated, as is any input.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreggT
All do respect but.......I don't think the height below will present any issues for 'clearance'.
This is PASM...10mm (rear wheel) for any N.American car. Pretty rediculous IMHO.

Personally I never turn 'off' PASM on my wife's car.....Porsche accomplished a lot to engineering their active system....succesfully I'd say.
Wife's C4S cab will never be tracked so it would have been hard to justify PASM Sport.....to say nothing of it not being avail on the cab.....and also my aversion to height being pre-set to someone elses standard.

I've had all-wheel since 993 & still today on Turbo and C4S.....To each his own, but I think it's great.

I was not referring to wheel well clearance, but to ground clearance. I have put my car on top of snow several times with PASM/Sport off (normal), and with the flat bottom of the car it just becomes a big ski! Although 10mm may not seem like much, every little bit matters when traversing the slush/ice in and between lanes, and especially unplowed roads. Obviously I drive my car year round and have similar weather to you in WI but neither of us compares with the OP who should not have this concern.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I was not referring to wheel well clearance, but to ground clearance. I have put my car on top of snow several times with PASM/Sport off (normal)
Ground clearance of your car does not change when you turn PASM/Sport on or off.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nugget
Ground clearance of your car does not change when you turn PASM/Sport on or off.
Then where are those 10 mm - I thought the car was dropping that much, which would reduce ground clearance by that amount. Help me out here...
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Then where are those 10 mm - I thought the car was dropping that much, which would reduce ground clearance by that amount. Help me out here...
The cars with PASM come from the factory 10mm lower than the non PASM cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The cars with PASM come from the factory 10mm lower than the non PASM cars.
Well I learned something new. Now I can turn sport on in winter!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

And yes.....I stand corrected.
The 997.2 manual even uses the terms 'normal' and 'sport' when refering to the two positions of a reg PASM suspension....i.e. no 'off'.

And as I recall back when.....some had compared the 'sport' position as feeling somewhere between Normal and Sport on a 'PASM Sport' cars.....and that would be a generalization as there are other suspension differences between 'PASM and 'PASM Sport' besides damping.

Quick Reply: PASM or no PASM?