Sponsored by:

XM Nav Traffic issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Nav Traffic issues

I did a search and couldn't find anything on point, so I apologize if this has been covered and my search skills are deficient.

I bought my 997.2 in May and have been taking advantage of the free 3-month trial of XM everything that came with the car. I have the XM radio portion working perfectly. However, the Nav Traffic piece doesn't seem to be doing what I think it's supposed to be doing. When I click on the "Map" function while driving, every highway appears solid red (which, I assume, is supposed to mean that the highway is experiencing bad traffic), even if traffic is moving unabated. I don't ever see any color representing the flow of traffic other than red. No green, no yellow, nada. Also, I believe it's supposed to visually demonstrate accidents and construction as well (anything else?), but I don't seem to get any of that either.

Last Friday I took the car to the dealership to have them update the software (that was what the XM support person that the problem probably was), but after leaving the dealership, I noticed no difference...everything's still red. The dealer told me they had it functioning properly before I picked it up. They're also telling me this is the first time they've had to deal with this issue and my guess is that they're kind of flying blind on this. I figure the good people here on rennlist are a better source of knowledge than they are in any event.

So, has anyone ever experienced this problem and figured out what the fix is?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I haven't updated to the latest PCM software and all of the roads on my PCM are red as well. When in map mode, the symbols for the issues (wreck, construction, etc) will show up at the location of the problem. These are the same symbols shown when going to "info", "traffic reports". In map mode I scroll to a wider view to pick up the problems on my route.

To see the symbols, you need to make sure that you have turned it on in the map info submenu.

At another forum, one of the members at 6speedonline reported that the Nav traffic green, yellow, and red road displays now function when he updated the PCM sofware to version 1.4. More info here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...re-update.html

Last edited by wwilliams88; 08-03-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Does the GPS automatically take traffic into account when planning routes or is it simply there as an FYI to drivers?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe there is a setting option that controls if the nav-traffic data is to be considered in route planning for the navigation system's routing (which, of course, requires that you have it routing you to a destination to be working... it won't just pop up on its own and say "Since you are trying to go north on I-5 and there is congestion ahead, I suggest you do this..." on its own)

Of course, you also have to be looking at highways where the local government collects flow data on the traffic and makes it available to navteq.

My nav/map display works up in the Seattle area, displaying the densities that the WSDOT collects and passes on via navteq who uses it to drive their navtraffic services.

If you have nothing displaying, make sure the settings in the PCM are set to 'display traffic data on the map'.. .there is a setting somewhere for that.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this... While your map is displayed hit " Option---> Set Map --->Map View--->". Make sure Traffic Messages has a check next to it.

Also, I do remember that the 3-month trial did not include some stations (Best of Sirius). NavTraffic may also be excluded. Check with XM..
Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
Does the GPS automatically take traffic into account when planning routes or is it simply there as an FYI to drivers?
The other day as I started to leave for home - suddenly the NAV chic announced, "route has been updated due to traffic information" - and I was given a new route that avoided a congested freeway. Pretty cool.

And yes, it is necessary as mentioned to enable the display of traffic info on the Map.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
The other day as I started to leave for home - suddenly the NAV chic announced, "route has been updated due to traffic information" - and I was given a new route that avoided a congested freeway. Pretty cool.

And yes, it is necessary as mentioned to enable the display of traffic info on the Map.
Cool! A new feature to explore!

By the way, Nav Traffic was included in my 3 month trial. It helped convince me to sign up
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I'm not a fan of XM or [not]Sirius mangled audio - but the traffic info is a must. Was good in my old car when
I had to listen to the ATL-MIA 4 minute update, but this is a big step up. When my trial period is up, I'll be signing up.

Last edited by stevepow; 08-05-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
Try this... While your map is displayed hit " Option---> Set Map --->Map View--->". Make sure Traffic Messages has a check next to it.

Also, I do remember that the 3-month trial did not include some stations (Best of Sirius). NavTraffic may also be excluded. Check with XM..
This worked! Thanks a ton for the help. Works wonderfully now.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, it works for me too now! I was wondering why the map looks the same as before, but now I can see the traffic flow, like the Google map's traffic condition.

Quick Reply: XM Nav Traffic issues