Squeaky PCCB's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Squeaky PCCB's

My front PCCB brakes, right side, I think (at 3K miles) make a very loud squeaking or grinding sound (I think of it as a low flute or picolo sound). Terribly annoying! Had my dealer mechanic look at it, he wasn't concerned about wear to the rotors, said PCNA does not normally warranty squeaking (although he is going to talk to them), and suggested I try and run them hot and see if I can burn off the problem. The damn brakes are so good it is very hard to actually get them hot and do this in street driving. I am speculating the pads are glazed but really don't know what is causing this.

Anyone else have the same problem or any insights?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 AM
skay
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ceramics and the fronts developed similar noises which disappeared after a spirited drive in the mountatins
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes- my right rear does this. A couple of hard 80-50mph decels on the highway made it go away. It eventually came back, but at least I know what it is.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing, but more when I turned the wheel one way.

Bearing was a bit dry on one side. have the bearings checked when you take it in.

Deanski
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Go out and do a few high speed threshold braking events and all will be good. They are just glazing up from light pressure braking.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks - sounds like a minor issue that I can clear up with some heavy braking. (BTW, in 44K miles, I never had the problem on my 05 997S with PCCB's).

But ossifer, my mechanic told me to do this!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
Yes- my right rear does this. A couple of hard 80-50mph decels on the highway made it go away. It eventually came back, but at least I know what it is.
Yep, iron or ceramic, this is the temporary fix for Porsche squealing. The only time there's more squealing is if you let the dealer do a brake overhaul and then you see the bill.

I've noticed that all 4 p-cars I've had squeal more when it's cold out.
A day at the track will keep them from squealing for almost a week!

The only other thing I can think of was with my 986. There was a terrible intermittent squeal/metal-metal grind sound coming from the rear brakes that occasionally happened when coming in to the paddock but also would just happen when the car felt like it. It was a horrible sound. I could cure it by driving slowly while applying brake and gas and it would go away. It went away 90% after I swapped to PFC pads. I guess the point of my post is who the hell knows!

Quick Reply: Squeaky PCCB's