Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009 | 10:02 PM
ipogi
2nd Gear

Default iPod adaptor

Any suggestions on a reputable iPod adaptor for the 2008 Targa 4? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:16 AM
swajames
Racer

I have the mObridge iPod/bluetooth unit and it's very good. I've been very happy with it so far, audio quality is just fine and on the couple of occasions that I've needed to talk to them for support they've been incredibly helpful and responsive. As an alternative, others have had success with the Dension.
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:54 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I'm just about ready to install a Dension Gateway 500 in my 07 Targa 4S.
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:18 PM
msh26
Instructor

Go with the Desion GW 500. They've done a nice job with this. Eric at BumperPlugs is also a great resource for this.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:45 PM
AP997S
Pro

I've had my Dension GW500 for about 2 years now.

Performs absolutely flawlessly.
Old 08-04-2009 | 08:56 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Originally Posted by msh26
Go with the Desion GW 500. They've done a nice job with this. Eric at BumperPlugs is also a great resource for this.
Amen to that

I installed mine last week. Eric was invaluable Consider the blue tooth add on while you are at it. It just plugs into the Gateway 500

Mastering the system takes getting used to but I am learning as I use it and for the moment I am happy to just have my Mozart and Beethoven. The sound is
very good. I chose to install the Ipod in the cabin so I can take it into the office. Others leave it permanently under the hood.
You do not have to remove the PCM but can "join" the MOST fiber optical "loop" at one or more places. I found an unused optical fiber "pair" and connector right behind the master cylinder assembly. It was there for a CD changer I do not have. Look for a pair of bright orange "wires" (fiber optics). My 911 is also 2007, plain jane base line Carrera

Steve Hess
585 721 1112
Old 08-04-2009 | 03:45 PM
Gundo
Racer

+1 for the Dension Gateway 500. Relatively easy to install, and it works really, really well. Great sound, full menu on the PCM screen.

Buy from Eric at bumperplugs.com - he will give you a great deal and great service.

here are some really great install directions:

http://www.planetporsche.net/reviews...duct=103&cat=5
Old 08-04-2009 | 04:14 PM
stevehess
Track Day

No one seems to mention this (or I missed it) but for an in-cockpit install (as I did) you have to first get the cables from the CD changer mount area THROUGH a metal bulkhead that separates the CD changer area from the battery compartment. I took the easy way out and "notched" the top weatherstripping and ran the wires with a protective coil shield OVER the metal bulkhead. I would not do that again. Not very neat and I ended up notching various plastic parts. Next time I would drill the bulkhead and insert rubber pass through bushings and pass the wires and connectors through the metal bulkhead.
Old 08-08-2009 | 12:23 PM
ipogi
2nd Gear

For someone who's electronically challenged as I am, it seems easy enough for me to install the Dension GW 500. I'll buy the combo unit (ipod/bluetooth) from bumperplugs and attempt the installation myself. Does the unit come with detailed instructions? Being a visual guy, I need installation pictures. Stay tuned! Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-08-2009 | 12:37 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by stevehess
No one seems to mention this (or I missed it) but for an in-cockpit install (as I did) you have to first get the cables from the CD changer mount area THROUGH a metal bulkhead that separates the CD changer area from the battery compartment. I took the easy way out and "notched" the top weatherstripping and ran the wires with a protective coil shield OVER the metal bulkhead. I would not do that again. Not very neat and I ended up notching various plastic parts. Next time I would drill the bulkhead and insert rubber pass through bushings and pass the wires and connectors through the metal bulkhead.
If memory serves, there's a rubber grommet behind the battery that you could have made a hole in to run the lines through. I may be off on the location but there definitely is an existing grommet so you do not have to drill a virgin hole or notch plastic.

Also for an in-cabin install, pull the PCM and tap into the Most Bus there. I think that's what most people do who don't do a trunk install.

I mounted my gateway 500 in the front trunk--you really don't need to access the ipod while driving and frankly when parked, the trunk is more secure than the cabin, from a smash and grab attack.
Old 08-08-2009 | 12:41 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

why not use the oem adapter? i was debating the oem since its fully functional in the pcm.. are aftermarket ones better?
Old 08-08-2009 | 12:43 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by ipogi
For someone who's electronically challenged as I am, it seems easy enough for me to install the Dension GW 500. I'll buy the combo unit (ipod/bluetooth) from bumperplugs and attempt the installation myself. Does the unit come with detailed instructions? Being a visual guy, I need installation pictures. Stay tuned! Thanks for the reply.
No the unit does not come with detailed installation instructions. It really isn't marketed as a consumer DIY item, but it isn't difficult to do. Search for the original thread in this forum from early 2007--there's all you really need to know including pictures.
Old 08-09-2009 | 10:05 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Originally Posted by Paul S.
If memory serves, there's a rubber grommet behind the battery that you could have made a hole in to run the lines through. I may be off on the location but there definitely is an existing grommet so you do not have to drill a virgin hole or notch plastic.
Yes, there is a very large grommet behind the battery but that leads to the car interior and that gets the cables there. However you first need to get past the first metal bulkhead which is the front of the battery compartment and presents a wall between where you mount the Gateway (where the CD changer is or would normally be installed). That said, there is in fact a similar rubber grommet in that wall but it is behind the large plastic "box" that I believe is a charcoal container and I was not adventurous enough to try and remove that to gain access. The neatest way would be to drill the required holes and use appropriate rubber insulating bushings
Old 08-09-2009 | 10:10 AM
Gundo
Racer

There is also a large rubber grommet up and to the right of the steering column - it is very easy to access and poke wires through. Harder to see from front compartment.

I didn't need to loosen or remove the grommet in the firewall behind the charcoal cannister - there is enough room to get around it.

That said, an incabin install would be nice if you are using your iPhone as your iPod. I use a dedicated iPod for the car, so didn't have a need to bring the iPod into the cabin.

If you want to bring iPod into the cabin, Eric sells an extension wire that works well.
Old 08-09-2009 | 10:12 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Originally Posted by ipogi
The install is fairly easy. The instructions are not the best but there are lots of posts to help you. I am average handy and had no trouble doing it. Eric is terrific about assistance.

You might start by looking in the trunk and seeing if you can identify a set of the orange opitical MOST cable pairs and their connector. I found one behind the master brake cylinder boost tank (large round drum) or look for them at the bottom of the trunk at the amplified or at the CD changer if you have one. It all plugs into a set of those cables. The rest is just passing wires and
tapping into a handy always-on 12V source (I went to the battery direct because it is sitting right there and convenient)

Quick Reply: iPod adaptor