Sponsored by:

997.2 Coolant Levels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 AM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Same thing here, called Suncoast and got a new cap….problem solved. Comparing the two caps, the old one's rubber gasket in the cap was used and too compressed to seal properly. THe new cap gasket was pliable and thicker.
1+
I had the same problem, replaced the cap, problem solved!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had no coolant related issues since then - I'll have to check tonight when I get home to see where its sitting now. I'd fill it at least to the min line - as that forms a solid reference point to track any more loss.

If the cap is faulty, then as the engine heats the coolant it expands and the system pressurizes. If the pressure regulating system in the cap is broken, it will vent prematurely which then dumps pressurized coolant liquid out when the engine is hot. The thing should not be venting during normal operation.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I've had no coolant related issues since then - I'll have to check tonight when I get home to see where its sitting now. I'd fill it at least to the min line - as that forms a solid reference point to track any more loss.

If the cap is faulty, then as the engine heats the coolant it expands and the system pressurizes. If the pressure regulating system in the cap is broken, it will vent prematurely which then dumps pressurized coolant liquid out when the engine is hot. The thing should not be venting during normal operation.
Thanks for following up! For anyone else that is reading or sometime later searches and comes across this topic like I did, replacing the cap seems to have worked for me too.

After being very frustrated and a bit terrified of what could be wrong when I saw coolant leak out all over the left side of my engine bay and exhaust, I replaced the cap with the new .04 cap, went to the dealership and bought some Porsche coolant and refilled things to just at the min mark with 50/50 coolant and distilled water, cleaned everything up REALLY good so that I could tell if even a drip came out, and then drove the car hard and long enough to get the temps up. After 2 separate days of driving with the new cap in place, I have not noticed any leak or seen evidence of a leak at all. I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem has been solved. I was a skeptic too, as the new cap looks a heck of a lot like the old one (I took pics of them side by side), but the number is different and clearly one works while the other does not.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:40 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

It's the rubber o ring gasket in the cap that gets squished over time with heat and pressure that causes the leak. Comparing the new cap to the old one it's obvious too see. But they don't sell just the cap gasket.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Babakazoo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going by the computer

I have the low/below minimum coolant level. I purchased a new cap, the coolant still sits below the minimum with no problem. I'm learning to just listen to the computer and stop acting like a mechanic. My maintenance is in a month, so will have the tank and wp checked.... but in the mean time, so far so good.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Coolant Levels