Sponsored by:

Ventilated Seats - love them.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Are the seats actually cooled with air from AC, or just ventilated with fan?
They are air conditioned.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
....you just do not need them after being in the seat for 5 minutes. In fact, even in a cab in the fall, the one place I do not need heat...it's the back and butt.
It's that first 5 minutes though that makes it - like I don't need two more cups of coffee after I've had my morning two, but I still want the first two

I don't think heat is in the back of the seat, is it? Could be, but that would be a 1st for me in a car with heated seats. Guess I'll find out in February.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Porsche web site:

For standard seats and comfort seats, optional seat ventilation is available (only in conjunction with heated seats). A slipstream effect is produced by active ventilation of the perforated seat center and backrest and by passive aeration at the side bolsters. This evaporates perspiration moisture and therefore makes for a comfortable seating environment, even in hot weather. Ventilation intensity can be set to any of three levels and simultaneous ventilation and heating is possible.

As an option, all compatible seats – apart from sports bucket seats – can be equipped with two-level seat heating. Seats are heated in the seat squab, backrest and side bolsters.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Interesting. How does Porsche run the AC ducting to the seats?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

They use "bluetooth"
Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by cole328
They use "bluetooth"
Now I understand.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Interesting. How does Porsche run the AC ducting to the seats?
I failed to mention that I add my own butt-tooth conditioning to the process.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:23 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I failed to mention that I add my own butt-tooth conditioning to the process.
That ought to freshen up the cabin.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They are not air conditioned. Its just a fan pulling air down through the seat leather and ejecting it out the back of the seat downward into the rear footwell area. However, when you are sweating, that airflow produces more evaporation on your back and butt, and that cools you... just as driving with the windows down does. When you first turn the ventilation on, it feels like its air conditioned.. though its only the cabin air flowing around your backsides.

Originally Posted by peterm
My biggest problem is remembering that the car has it.
Now isn't that the truth. That is why I didn't turn them on until just a few weeks ago. I got my car in November, so I was using the heated seats, and then in the mild spring and early summer of the Puget Sound, just the windows down was fine.. the AC being explicitly turned off. It wasn't until the evening drive home in the upper 80's sitting at a stoplight with the sun beating down (and the lack of window cooling... because I was stopped).. that it suddenly hit me.... "Wait a minute, I've got this seat ventilation I ordered..."

That yell of "oh, yeah! Thats the stuff!" coming from the Sammamish plateau.. that was me.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Minok: :Thanks for straightening this out. I had a hard time accepting that there was AC in the seats.
Also, I agree with MikeBat that heated seats are not of much value to me. Sure, I live in So Cal, but even when I lived in Canada I didn't use them. My butt has adjusted to the cold seat long before the heat can do any good, so I don't bother with it. Haven't had ventilated seats, but everyone I know that has had them won't settle for anything else now.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 PM
fusion85
Intermediate

Being a dentist, I use the seat heaters @ the end of the day to burn through my spasming back muscles.

Aaaaaah.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Depending on the altitude and proximity to the Pacific coast, it can get into the 40s & 50s during the summer nights here. Heated seats help make top-down motoring more comfy.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Heated seats were the dumdest thing since bottled water. Now I use the seats because the heater is never warm by the time I get to work, and get my first bottle of water for the day. But the seats are warm in 60 seconds. They work well.
Minok hit the nail on the fan. The seat suck air through the seats and since the air is coming from the AC
the air is cool PLUS since your skin is sweating and the air is evaporating it, its like a mini Swap cooler and thats effective.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

I love them!!!!! For me is was a tough decision over the sport seats, but boy am I glad I went with the ventilated seats, on a hot day top down and my back is dry and cool.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
They are not air conditioned. Its just a fan pulling air down through the seat leather and ejecting it out the back of the seat downward into the rear footwell area. However, when you are sweating, that airflow produces more evaporation on your back and butt, and that cools you... just as driving with the windows down does. When you first turn the ventilation on, it feels like its air conditioned.. though its only the cabin air flowing around your backsides.
How does the fan pull air down through the seat leather and eject it out the back of the seat when all the perforations in the seat are covered with one big fat backside?

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seats - love them.