Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help decide between these two C4S...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

I like the grey, those wheels, while heavy, are pure sex.
The Alcantara, we have the stuff all over our home, is very durable and looks great in that car.
I'd miss the full leather however. I never understood the C2 looking steering wheel in the white S, yes I know it's thicker or a full leather wheel but the standard S wheel looks better, IMO.

The Alcantara will provide as much grip (and will be warmer to the touch in winter) as the heavy, heated and complicated leather *** I bet.

Good luck.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce R; 07-22-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meteor grey. But I'm partial...
Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Of course you should care - if those things are important to you.

I don't care for all that Alcantara - basically faux suede (very high quality faux suede) and looks really funky to me - like I imagine Roger Moore in it back in the 70s - Live and Let Die - add some fuzzy dice and you'll be set (OK - that's just crass of me, sorry). Swap out the wheel and the shifter, and then maybe OK...

And the White car; I bet the interior looks good and its just an unflattering photo - maybe not the best choice on a White car...

...but still, White/Sand / Grey/Black - such extremely different looks. Which is you?

Bose - did you listen to it? Does it sound better - do you care about the sound anyway? Same with the seats - is one enough better than the other to make/break it? Heated seats - daily driver? Cold where you live?

You gotta drop a lotta change for one of these - get one that really appeals to you.
To me the Gray is sporty looking, while white is more like luxurious.

I live in Vancouver, Canada... so doesn't get too cold, but I love heated seats.

I do track the car, so adaptive seats are a plus for sure, but since I am a bigger guy, maybe ok with standard seats... just haven't had enuf hours driving either to know which is best...

basically it's all a compromise, specially since I am looking into how ppl have optioned cars back in 06!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Black interior makes the car feel smaller inside - that may not matter to you either. Sand normally has more dash glare, and the Sand/Black combo mitigates that - just not sure it looks so good in a White car, but I wish I had that in mine (I think). Black may be easier to care for (or it will show less grime so you won't be as compelled to care for it).

Tough choices...

Check out the stereo carefully if that kind of thing matters. I'm driving a loaner '09 Cayman today without Bose and it sounds very...um..."retro"...I think is a kind characterization.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
Black interior makes the car feel smaller inside - that may not matter to you either. Sand normally has more dash glare, and the Sand/Black combo mitigates that - just not sure it looks so good in a White car, but I wish I had that in mine (I think). Black may be easier to care for (or it will show less grime so you won't be as compelled to care for it).

Tough choices...

Check out the stereo carefully if that kind of thing matters. I'm driving a loaner '09 Cayman today without Bose and it sounds very...um..."retro"...I think is a kind characterization.
Regular stereo sounded like CRAP! specially at higher volumes, total distortion... haven't tried Bose too much.

Was thinking of doing a Rues system sometime maybe!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
beachview
Instructor

Gray!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, could you give us more polar opposite cars? Are you struggling with your internal good and evil?

I really like these cars in white, it's classy, but the interior seems plain. I would like it more with deviating carpet. Maybe black mats would help. I have adaptive seats and I love em.

The grey one is nice I like the inserts and steering wheel. The wheels of course are also great, but like others I am bias.

You are in a can't lose situation. Both cars are great.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:06 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, I should not care that the Grey car doesn't have the following:

- Adaptive Sports seats, heated seats, Bose, Porsche sign in the seat, and full leather

I optioned both cars as if new, and White one's $5K more if was optioned. Can get em at the same price now...

Confusing...
I like the options on the white one, but Meteor Gray is such a nice color. I would say that if you like the feel of Adaptive Sports seats, then that's the car to get. I do prefer the wheels on the white.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Go meteor....the two tone interior does not look nice at all...honestly looks like an accident. I think the alcantra is money in a car, and feels so good on the steering wheel....
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grey is a more livable daily driver color - will attract less attention than the white and also shows dirt less (or wears dirt more elegantly). Since you are in Canada and I assume not in a hot locale, the lower (parked) temperature of the white car is less of an advantage.

In addition, the grey shows off the car's curves better - more shadow and contrast than the white. IMHO.

Sport seats may be fun but on resale I suspect the regular seats will have broader appeal. That may or may not matter to you.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

There are a boat load of car out there. Find one just the way you want instead of settling for something that is alright.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:
JUST put a deposit on TOTALLY ANOTHER CAR!

- GT Silver C4S
- X51 Power Kit
- PCCB Ceramic Brakes
- Full Black Leather interior
- Carrera Classic wheels
- Power Heated Seats
- Bose

The car doesn't have Sport Seats, Sports Chrono, or Navigation... but I think I CAN LIVE without them and add if needed later. It cost me $5K more to get the above, but I think it is well worth the extra money!

What do you guys think... it's done now, and I think I did the right thing.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
UPDATE:
JUST put a deposit on TOTALLY ANOTHER CAR!

- GT Silver C4S
- X51 Power Kit
- PCCB Ceramic Brakes
- Full Black Leather interior
- Carrera Classic wheels
- Power Heated Seats
- Bose

The car doesn't have Sport Seats, Sports Chrono, or Navigation... but I think I CAN LIVE without them and add if needed later. It cost me $5K more to get the above, but I think it is well worth the extra money!

What do you guys think... it's done now, and I think I did the right thing.
Oh great,--ANOTHER silver 911!

You will love the PCCBs and X51. I'm afraid the silver exterior will prove boring over time.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Oh great,--ANOTHER silver 911!

You will love the PCCBs and X51. I'm afraid the silver exterior will prove boring over time.
How do u like your PCCB? Is it loud or anything on the street? You think it's worth $5K more over the other ones?

At least this is GT Silver, not Arctic!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

I'd take the white one, however, it's really boiled down to what you like/want because you're spending the next 3-5 yrs with her. GL with your decision.

Quick Reply: Need help decide between these two C4S...