Sponsored by:

Best way to sell a 997S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Best way to sell a 997S?

I've always bought and sold my cars via one of the forums I hang out on, but things seem a bit different since the recession. What's the best way to sell a car at a fair price these days? I love my 997 but I'm jonesing for a longnose again.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ack-betty.html
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price it to sell.

Easier said than done.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

To find my 997, I looked at Autotrader.com, Cars.com, Rennlist ads, Porsche dealer sites.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You've been around the forum for a long time and probably know all of the normal outlets. Other than local dealers that might pay you immediately, perhaps the only other way to find out what something is worth today, I hate to say it but eBay will tell you in 7 days. Whether it's a car or a house, start at $1 and you'll find out what John Q Public is willing to pay today.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had excellent luck with both Cars.com and at my independent repair shop. For some reason, persective buyers seem to frequent his shop -good luck
Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I sold mine through Autotrader, however, I got more "inquires" through Craigslist.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Listed my last toy (Mercedes AMG) on both autotrader and craigslist. Got interest on both, but craigslist got more crackpots and folks offering crazy low-ball deals. Ended up selling on autotrader for close to asking price (my asking price was basically KBB Private Party "excellent" condition pricing).
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a buyer I would strongly prefer to buy from someone in my local PCCA, recommended car/seller from indie shop, or Rennlist or other forum. After that I would check CPO at the dealer, and probably last I would buy Autotrader or Craigslist.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I can speak from a buyer's perspective, especially since I just purchased a car a week ago. I actually looked at your ad and considered the car, but had one major requirement that deterred me. I already have a black car, I don't want another. It looks great when it's clean, but I'm looking for a daily driver with a little less required upkeep. Understanding that this may not factor in...

The other things that stick out to me:
Car is out of warranty
Car has modifications

Just the right buyer might come along that wants that combination of items, but regardless of how well you treated it, a car with mods is subject to skepticism. Just about every car I have owned has had some modification to it, I have even purchased one with modifications installed, and yet I still always hesitate taking on someone else's creation. And rarely is a buyer willing to pay for the modifications even at 50% of purchase price. I'm not sure the upgrade list and dyno chart help, unless it's a Toyota Supra.

All this being said, removing modifications and selling them a la carte and putting the car on ebay may work better. That, or dare I say it? Carmax. But you may take a bigger hit than trading in. I did see that Carmax has a 997.1 listed for sale while I was looking.

I don't know if all that hurts or helps, but good luck with the sale.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, you have an e-mail from me. I also posted in your thread on 6speed to make contact.

Hope to talk tomorrow, thanks!

Jay Jones
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

In this crappy market you need to price it to lower than other cars. If you can return it to stock and sell your mods your better off. Modded cars don't typically command much of a premium unless you find a buyer who is looking for one equipped the exact way yours is.

If you seriously want to sell it quickly it needs to be priced to go, otherwise it aint gonna sell. Too much supply and not enough buyers currently.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Nothing sells a car better then price. There are a ton of cars on the market and the pricing of new 997's is hammering the pre owned market. If you use all the basic outlets the only thing that will make yours stand out is price.

Quick Reply: Best way to sell a 997S?