Sponsored by:

Dyno results for Porsche Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dyno results for Porsche Sport Exhaust

The PSE was being discussed here recently and someone made the comment "There is nothing sport about it".
I was pondering over this statement. I've seen dyno results posted for other exhaust systems. Some are effective, others not so much.

Has anyone ever done a dyno run to test the PSE?
It seems everyone thinks of it as a nice noise maker button. Is there anything else to it? This is the "factory" less restrictive exhaust. We all think pretty highly of Porsche "factory" hardware. Are we missing something here?

I know the "butt dyno" can't tell the difference. I'd like to see more info. Is this a performance upgrade or not? For the cost of the PSE a guy might expect more than just noise?

This may be of interest to those shopping for a car now. Do I buy PSE which just makes noise, or save my money to buy brand xyz exhaust which I know will give me "x" more ponies?

Got Proof??

Phil
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The 'xyz' brand exhaust w/o adding high performance cats or better yet bypasses will perform just about as well as the PSE. I've seen a lot of claims from 'muffler' companies regarding performance gains but most of them are unfounded. Headers, mufflers & cats on the output side typically need to be complemented w/ modifications to the intake side coupled w/ DME modifications to see quantitative HP & torque gains.

For me 350 ponies does the trick and I personnally installed the PSE + X51 just for the aural improvements. Love the look of the off-set exhaust tips too.

I also have the 'nice noise maker button' (lol) which believe it or not comes in really handy in situations or places where you want to be 'stealth'.

I see your located in the great state of Kalifonia so you'll need some form of cat to pass the bi-annual smog inspection.

Good luck on your decision
Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Go for PSE just for the music. You will never regret that decision.

Porsche doesn't claim it adds anything in terms of HP (and I guess they would if they could) but it certainly adds them in you mind when you hear it!!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Phil as I tell anyone... first and foremost change your exhaust only for the sound. Find a sound you like and go with it for that reason. Can one really tell/feel the 5-10hp from an exhaust anyway and then you need to weigh in the other factors- does it resonate etc... The PSE is a fine sounding exhaust. I like the sound of the Tubi as well with the other benefit (if that matters) being that it's super light so you save about 28 pounds off of the rear.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Actually, my '06 c2s came with PSE.

Yes, it does sound good.

What I'm asking is if anyone has actually seen any dyno results. As proof.

Got Proof??

Phil
Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Actually, my '06 c2s came with PSE.

Yes, it does sound good.

What I'm asking is if anyone has actually seen any dyno results. As proof.

Got Proof??

Phil
Ah good then... and yes I've seen those cars on the dyno with a PSE vs stock vs Tubi or something else. On the 997S the difference between those mufflers was 5-8hp in favor of the Tubi.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Ah good then... and yes I've seen those cars on the dyno with a PSE vs stock vs Tubi or something else. On the 997S the difference between those mufflers was 5-8hp in favor of the Tubi.
Was there any difference between the stock and PSE? Thanks...GR
Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

On the 996, Porsche said that there was no horsepower gain with PSE. Don't know about the 997 or the GT cars.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSE = aural sex whats not to like
Old 07-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
The price tag (compared to aftermarket options) and their propensity to break.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no HP advantage with PSE but i know it's faster. it's just like running faster with a new pair of shoes!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need one of these for PSE:

PSE ButtDyno check with your parts department

Name:  buttdyno.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  22.3 KB

Deanski
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly off topic but related - a couple dealers have told me there are NO PSEs for 997.2s available in the US for a couple months for dealers to install. Something to do with a problem with one of the parts that Porsche is working through with its supplier. But I was told I could still buy one now to get the 20% sale price on parts. I don't know if factory-installed PSEs are affected.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by GR997S
That's exactly what I want to know. (Although I think I already know the answer.)

Alex, say we scratch the Tubi out of the equation and just compare stock and PSE, is there a difference.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GR997S
Hey there GR, no nothing of note. Same results basically (just better sound heh).
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
On the 996, Porsche said that there was no horsepower gain with PSE. Don't know about the 997 or the GT cars.
100% correct. I was trying to find some marketing material for that which basically says it but I can't. They used very similar wording for the .2 version of it too as far as the PSE goes and looking at the design I would "doubt" there's much of a gain- other than the sweet sound.
Originally Posted by peterm
I agree it's a great, great sound. Doesn't get enough credit!
Originally Posted by SY-997
Slightly off topic but related - a couple dealers have told me there are NO PSEs for 997.2s available in the US for a couple months for dealers to install. Something to do with a problem with one of the parts that Porsche is working through with its supplier. But I was told I could still buy one now to get the 20% sale price on parts. I don't know if factory-installed PSEs are affected.
If that doesn't pan out let us know... we have something for the 997.2 which bumps the sound level up a bit (I'd say PSE levels and not an aggressive muffler). The design of the center muffler was actually somewhere that we found we could improve on a bit so we did:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

You could certainly give that a whirl. I've not yet tried it "with" the PSE as well so I'm not sure how it sounds (yet).
Originally Posted by RollingArt
That's exactly what I want to know. (Although I think I already know the answer.)

Alex, say we scratch the Tubi out of the equation and just compare stock and PSE, is there a difference.

Thanks,
Phil
Sorry Phil... I read it again and yes if you scratch the Tubi out of the equation the dynos were within 1-2 hp of each other every single time, aka the same.

Quick Reply: Dyno results for Porsche Sport Exhaust