Sponsored by:

BAM! Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAM! Flat Tire

Driving at a speed of about 45 mph, smooth blacktop road around 10 pm, I hear a "bam" x 3 from the rear. I dont recall seeing anything on the road. A few seconds later flat tire warning light comes on. I pull over to a nearest gas station and infact the tire is flat. I inflate upto 30 psi but wont inflate much further as I hear the hiss from the tire air leak. Fortunately my home was near and I was able to make it home with some air in the tire. I called road side service to have the car picked up in the morning.
The car has only about 900 miles on it. I don't recall seeing anything on the road but doesn't mean that I didn't run over something. I did inspect the body and the wheel well. No dent or scratch. There is however a circumferential divot along the entire sidewall (all around the tire sidewall about 2 cm above the rim lip). I will need a new tire.
I was surprised how quickly the tire got deflated. I hope I didn't damage the rim. When i arrived home, the tire was still hissing air and there was some cushion for the rim.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

From my experience, you will tend to get most of the flats on these cars within the first couple thousand miles of ownership. These treads pick up everything. Generally, the front tire picks up the hazards and then places it back on the road in such an orientation that the rear tire then "nails" it. (Pun intended).

In the future, absolutely avoid driving on it as it's possible to damage that rim. Tires can be (relatively) easily replaced. Wheels are harder.

It was interesting that you got such a pronounced BANG. Every time I've had a problem the TPMS was first to know.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I concur with Edgy...flats are an inevitable aspect of p-car ownership I'have had the car almost 2 years,a nd had no less than 4 flats all of them in the rear, and 3 of 4 in the right rear oh well, the price of admission
Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
stevehess
Track Day

I had had my first flat a few weeks back (as posted) and found the lack of a spare beyond the pale. I ordered the spare, jack, etc originally supplied with the "996" Total cost about $900 (gulp). I now have peace of mind and no trunk space left. Fair enough.

I know many posters like Edgy01 are of the opinion to just "get over it" and don't worry about it but it seems to me that for those of us prone to "worry" that advice is not as useful as a spare tire. For my fellow "worriers", the 996 spare kit will keep you happy.

Steve
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Default 1800 PORSCHE

Called 800-PORSCHE. Flatbed arrived on time, professional staff, meticulous attention. Flatbed technician filled up the tire with air and I drove the car upto the flatbed. It took him about 30 minutes to line up the extra wooden boards to make the transition to the flatbed smooth and to secure the P-Car to the bed. I went to lunch and return to find the car ready. It turns out that there was a big gashe on the tire. Noise I heard is likely a sharp object that rattled inside the wheelwell. Rim is fine without damange. No visible body damage. Total cost out of pocket was $520 including tax. I have another 5% credit coming. (they gave me a 10% discount for the coupon that they reportedly was available to me but later learned that the coupon was for 15%)
Overall very satisfied with the 800PORSCHE service, dispatched flatbed staff's work, dealer experience.

Frank

Last edited by kimf70; 09-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: BAM! Flat Tire