Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory iPod Kit and XM through aux-in/iPhone app?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 AM
daberrys
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory iPod Kit and XM through aux-in/iPhone app?

Hello!

New member, long time Porsche owner... the car in question is a pretty Cobalt Blue '07 Targa 4S I picked up not long ago.

I'd like to have both an iPod interface and XM... considering the factory iPod retrofit to keep things "factory". Saw some good discussion upon searching the forum but no direct answers to my questions:

1. How does the iPod interface w/ the PCM? Ideally I'd like to keep the ability to play from playlists, choose from album/artist/genre, etc...

2. Has anyone used to aux-in of the factory retrofit (or similar) and the new Sirius/XM iPhone app to listen to satellite radio? Seems cheaper than getting other dedicated satellite hardware for the car...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John
-----
'75 911S Peru Red Sunroof Coupe ("Elisabeth")
'07 997 Cobalt Blue Targa 4S ("Fiona")
Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 AM
jster
8th Gear

I have PCM 3.0 with xm, audio--

I have had ipod interface in BMW and now P. The s/w has come a long way and does what you want. Essentially the functionality on your ipod just moves to the car (although you do not get album art and I cannot remember if genre is one of the choices). The car does not have EQ but I believe you can set the EQ on the ipod and that then applies to what you hear in the car. You may have charging connector issues (Apple changed the pin-out) depending on your ipod but there are adapters that take care of that. I switched to USB because the car keeps the ipod spun up, the ipod battery drains to zero (the amount of time I drive the car is less than the amount of time it sits and the ipod battery drains) and I got tired of connecting/disconnecting the ipod cable each time I shut down for the evening. I am happy I got the universal audio interface given its out the door cost and this being my first P. Others use non-OEM solutions and are very happy with them. I would definitely check the alternatives out before you finalize and not get hung up on OEM only at this point.

Originally Posted by daberrys
Hello!

New member, long time Porsche owner... the car in question is a pretty Cobalt Blue '07 Targa 4S I picked up not long ago.

I'd like to have both an iPod interface and XM... considering the factory iPod retrofit to keep things "factory". Saw some good discussion upon searching the forum but no direct answers to my questions:

1. How does the iPod interface w/ the PCM? Ideally I'd like to keep the ability to play from playlists, choose from album/artist/genre, etc...

2. Has anyone used to aux-in of the factory retrofit (or similar) and the new Sirius/XM iPhone app to listen to satellite radio? Seems cheaper than getting other dedicated satellite hardware for the car...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John
-----
'75 911S Peru Red Sunroof Coupe ("Elisabeth")
'07 997 Cobalt Blue Targa 4S ("Fiona")
Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

John - email me with questions at eric@bumperplugs.com

Aftermarket Dension can get you iPod and Bluetooth, XM can route through the Aux inputs as well. Allows full display in PCM, control from PCM, search, artist, song name, etc....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Bumblebee
1st Gear

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if you use the xm app on the ipod and connected through the universal audio interface, can you control the xm from the PCM 3.0 screen or do you have to still fiddle with the ipod?

Pierre
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd expect you have to use the iPod's controls, since the PCM only provides direct playback of the songs on the iPod and that respective interface.

To use an iPhone app, the iPhone becomes the interface, not the PCM. My suspicion... though I don't have an iPhone to test it with.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

To me the XM app on the iPhone is a joke. The iPhone would be receiving the XM radio via the cellular network, not satellite. Thus, your reception would be dependent on strength (and availability) of cell service. And we all know how poor that can be in some locations. The chief advantage of satellite radio IMO is that you can get it virtually anywhere in the country. Great for long trips.

Quick Reply: Factory iPod Kit and XM through aux-in/iPhone app?