Sponsored by:

Serious Dealer? Prove It!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Rob,

I have been enjoying it. I have owned over 20 different 911's and an assortment of other high performance euro cars, I just like the business. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
jderrico
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Funny, very similar story here. I started in September too. I'm part owner of a biotech Ag company and the sole owner of a catering business. Things were slow last year and I was in the process of buying my Touareg. That's when I decided to give it a shot.
Rob, what's the biotech firm. I'm in the business as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We make sensors for milking machines and hormone delivery systems, based out of NZ.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM
jderrico
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
We make sensors for milking machines and hormone delivery systems, based out of NZ.
Cool stuff. Used to be in laboratory automation, now manage a product line portfolio for a distributor in this space.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
RutgersU
Racer

The salesmen on Rennlist appear to be wealthy and choose to sell Porsches not because they need to but because they like the car. (think Forrest Gump mowing lawns) Maybe most salesmen are the same thus causing the "arrogance" everyone complains about. I can't speak for anyone else but my idea of enjoying the fruits of my labor is sitting on my *** for twelve hours a day staring out the window wondering if the next car is going to take a right into my dealership.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RutgersU
The salesmen on Rennlist appear to be wealthy and choose to sell Porsches not because they need to but because they like the car. (think Forrest Gump mowing lawns) Maybe most salesmen are the same thus causing the "arrogance" everyone complains about. I can't speak for anyone else but my idea of enjoying the fruits of my labor is sitting on my *** for twelve hours a day staring out the window wondering if the next car is going to take a right into my dealership.

If thats what you believe the business is all about then its clearly not for you.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by Trader220
If thats what you believe the business is all about then its clearly not for you.
I guess you're right, I lack the passion but I've been told my ***-sitting ability is second to none.

Let's be honest though, with 900 units sold last month the seat of your pants is going to wear out long before the sole of your shoes.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Lets be honest, I stood for 16 years on the trading floor without sitting down so if I so chose I could stand for 8 hours here and not bat an eye and I have a lot of seat time stored up. The real point is its not all about sitting around waiting for something to happen.

If its not for you thats fine why the need to dump on it?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by Trader220
Lets be honest, I stood for 16 years on the trading floor without sitting down so if I so chose I could stand for 8 hours here and not bat an eye and I have a lot of seat time stored up. The real point is its not all about sitting around waiting for something to happen.

If its not for you thats fine why the need to dump on it?
I never questioned your ability to stand, just the need.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Trader I liked everything you have said so far BUT you really misread what Pogue was saying.
He said there are great dealers and there are bad dealers. He wasnt picking on the business as a whole.
He is a very smart businessman and I bet you, if you met him, would find many things in common. For one thing he is VERY passionate about his cars including Porsche so right there is a commonality you share. He is always willing to listen to ideas or thoughts on cars and share his ideas. You really have him pegged wrong.
The only thing he was really was complaining about was the discontinuity of the US dealer and his
customer compared to other countries. And its just not Porsche either. I can go to a Chevy dealer and the salesman there think they are smarter than a Naval rocket scientist. I dont understand why dealers dont seem to respect the customer as a group. Having said that my Porsche dealer in a small town (bakersfield) has always respected me and I have a great relationship with them. Like he said there are GREAT dealers and not so great dealers.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Cloak&Dagger
Banned

Can we all stop this rediculous witching hunt?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ Sounds like Stoppie.

He never could spell ridiculous correctly.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cloak‡6711500
Can we all stop this rediculous witching hunt?
1) pretty bold statement for a noob
2) whaddya mean, "we"? is there a mouse in your pocket?
3) i don't see us "hunting" anything
4) what exactly is a "witching hunt"?
5) what about this thread is getting you lathered?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Cloak&Dagger
Banned

I'm referring to the 'bantering' back and forth. That's all I meant by it.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Trader I liked everything you have said so far BUT you really misread what Pogue was saying.
He said there are great dealers and there are bad dealers. He wasnt picking on the business as a whole.
He is a very smart businessman and I bet you, if you met him, would find many things in common. For one thing he is VERY passionate about his cars including Porsche so right there is a commonality you share. He is always willing to listen to ideas or thoughts on cars and share his ideas. You really have him pegged wrong.
The only thing he was really was complaining about was the discontinuity of the US dealer and his
customer compared to other countries. And its just not Porsche either. I can go to a Chevy dealer and the salesman there think they are smarter than a Naval rocket scientist. I dont understand why dealers dont seem to respect the customer as a group. Having said that my Porsche dealer in a small town (bakersfield) has always respected me and I have a great relationship with them. Like he said there are GREAT dealers and not so great dealers.
I can appreciate your point of view and my opinion is just based on how he has treated me here. He has accused me of a constant shady sort of sleazy sales guy speak and double talk. In addition he's directly told others how they should ask the questions and told me how soon and exactly what and how I should answer those questions. To me that’s absurd. I walked out of the showroom last night and didn’t bother giving a detailed answer to a vague question and Pogue proceeded to slam me, and then tell me what I should have done. Guess what? I don’t seek business here, despite the fact he says I do, and I’ll answer the question when I have the time to do so and in the way I see fit, and that’s not being arrogant. Also, just because I didnt respond for several more hours, mind you I was home with my family, does not make me the sleaze bag he implies. IMHO people like that cant handle the anonymity of the internet, its too easy for them to drop bombs and take pot shots from behind their computer.

As far as what kind of business man he is or character he has…. Who knows? He could be a business savvy zillionaire or not we just don’t know from the internet and it’s sort of a moot point.

Let me ask you this, if someone on an internet board told you how to answer questions and constantly implied that simply because of your profession you always had a hidden agenda, and any free info you provide with no strings attached is as useful as **** on a boar how do you think you would consider that person?

Quick Reply: Serious Dealer? Prove It!