PCM Navigational Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts
Default PCM Navigational Quirks

Just recently the extended nav system in my car has been acting up. 2 out of 3 times after I start the engine up it makes the destination ACTIVE and chooses a place I had gone a couple weeks ago as the destination. I attempted to delete the destination but it doesn't take. Any suggestions? Perhaps I need to pull out the DVD and do a harder reboot, or pull the fuse? I was going to let the dealership deal with it next week because if it is a hard fault I want a record of it and them to have to sort it out. Anyone else have a similar problem with theirs? TIA
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The dealership replaced my PCM. Under warranty. However, I got it home and noticed some issues. It was missing some capabilities. Apparently, as an Extended Navigation system (672) they have to make sure the right codes are plugged into the unit (to activate them). They had failed to do that. They finally fixed it today.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I have noticed it several times on Cayennes with the old PCM 2.1 system. ALso sometimes the map freezes on a place where the car was at sometime in the past. I have not seen a service bulliten about it. I hit the reset to factory specs button for a fix.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated the Nav maps in my '06 last fall. Since then, from time-to-time the PCM will display the message "Update Navigation System?" (or similar) on start-up. This has happened perhaps 3 or 4 times since I performed the update.

If I instruct the PCM to proceed with the (phantom) update, it will show the normal update progress bar and then very quickly indicate that the update has been successfully accomplished. The system then resumes normal function. I've not been particularly concerned about it.

Glad to hear that your issues were quickly resolved by Porsche and the dealer.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The dealership replaced my PCM. Under warranty. However, I got it home and noticed some issues. It was missing some capabilities. Apparently, as an Extended Navigation system (672) they have to make sure the right codes are plugged into the unit (to activate them). They had failed to do that. They finally fixed it today.
What's the difference between Extended Nav and not-extended?

Also, is there anyway to update the software to make the graphics look better?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
What's the difference between Extended Nav and not-extended?

Also, is there anyway to update the software to make the graphics look better?
Extended navigation (option 672) provides offroad navigation which to me means that if you are driving around an area in which the roads are new but not in any database, you can still get guidance. Also, you can run a Trace routine which will give you a recorded trail showing where you went. You can then go over it repeatedly, in either direction. it's actually kinda neat.

What I learned at the dealership this week was just how complex all this stuff is, when it comes to configuration control on these cars. When the service shop ordered a new PCM for my car, they of course ordered it by providing the VIN,--to get the right one. However, when they plugged their diagnosis machine up to the car apparently not all of the appropriate codes were sent to the box in the car. The Extended Nav features were missing. When I called them inquiring after that, they immediately queried PCNA who did a VIN lookup to determine the firmware configuration of my particular car. They noted that the car came with Extended Nav (672) and emailed a special code of alphanumerics which the service guy fat-fingered into the computer attached to the car and viola! Back to full function again. It you have the Log Book feature enabled on the car, that is also activated the same way. There are apparently a myriad of options and codes that need to be plugged into these cars in order for everything to work correctly together. This is where I come from by stating how complex these things are. Without the VIN number they cannot maintain configuration control on the car and all bets are off on things working together down the road.

Here's a scope image of what the trace does.

The request for a better fidelity screen is probably impossible on the 997.1 cars. Perhaps it's better on the 997.2 cars,--but then, there is no ability to get pirated copies of the updated nav DVDs either now!
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Those codes seem to work like license activation codes in software and other electronics. The unit knows how to do it all, entering the right code just 'turns on' the existing feature so you can use it. This way, they build one piece of hardware, and you pay for the features you want. The upside is, that you can purchase and have activated, features after the car is already in your hands in many cases.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

There are a myriad of codes for these cars! One even activates the PCM to be used for watching DVD movies! I want that one for long trips!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a myriad of codes for these cars! One even activates the PCM to be used for watching DVD movies! I want that one for long trips!
I thought only the PCM 3.0 on 997.2 supports that.

By the way, when replacing the whole PCM, does that include the screen?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 AM
linklaw
Advanced

Replacing the PCM includes replacing the screen. I had mine replaced several times due to a clock that would not keep the correct time.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
aracer
Instructor

Default edgy

how did u post that trace?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aracer
how did u post that trace?
I don't understand the question. It's a simply a screen shot.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand the question. It's a simply a screen shot.
I think he means how did you get that picture- "screen shot" can mean that a computer grabs the image on the screen and saves it, which is easy to do on a PC. I think what you did was literally take a picture, with a camera, of the screen.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I just took a photo of the screen after recording the route with the extended navigation feature.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I just took a photo of the screen after recording the route with the extended navigation feature.
Just catching up on your mail Dan??

Quick Reply: PCM Navigational Quirks