car seat question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car seat question

Hello everyone,
I have a dilemma. We are expecting our first child in November. Our current cars are an 07 C2S and a an 06 toyota landcruiser. How difficult is moving car seats in and out of a carrera coupe--and I'm not talking porshce car seats? I am not willing to give up my carrera, so what thoughts do any of you have on this matter? I have to drive to two less than ideal hospitals on occasion, to which I always drive the Landcruiser. Do I need a third car? Please tell me no.

Thanks,
KW
Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I would say its a bit of a pain moving car seats from one car to another, but not insurmountable.

For the newborn, you need a rear facing seat, and that would have to be in the front passenger seat (I don't think you can squeeze it in the back, but I could be wrong if you have the passenger seat all the way forward). After junior grows a little, he or she will be in a forward facing seat easily in the rear seat.

Just buy extra car seats! We have a massive collection now that our kids are 7 and 4 from keeping all the cars equipped and ready to go!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:20 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the collection, but the ones we use are the recaros and the porsche brand. just say NO to moving the car seats around and say F NO to getting a 3rd car. you're fine.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:02 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I have almost 5 year old twin boys and a bunch of cars, after the 1st week of moving seats, I said no way. Buy extra seats.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM
jwins
Intermediate

I have a 3 month old son. One can fit some infant, rear-facing seats in the back of a Carrera coupe. I've had to ditch the latch system base and the passenger side seat does need to be almost all the way forward. If you are installing the latch base in another car, moving the seat would not be a big deal. I always put my son in the seat before putting it in the car. I also remove the seat cushion and use a small, square foam pillow to provide the give necessary to tighten the seat belt through the attachment points on the child seat.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

I have at last count nine car seats and another Porsche booster seat on the way, make that ten then.
So the Disco has three, the BMW wagon three and the Boxster one. That leaves 2 rear facing seats in the closet and the #10 ready for the Carrera next year!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 AM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

I am lazy so I have four car seats for my 1yr old son.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
DanJK
Racer

Moving car seats. Middle of summer. 95 degrees. Screaming kid. Angry wife. Late.

Buy extra seats. Considering the above - they are cheap.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
natdad
1st Gear

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put a newborn in the Carrera. Use the Landcruiser. I didn't start putting my child in the Carrera until she could fit in the booster seat (Porsche booster) around the age of 3. There are no LATCH attachments in the Carrera, and once you start using the latch attachments in other cars, any other way of securing car seats seems 1) not very secure or 2) a significant pain in the *** to secure properly. The Porsche booster by the way, works very well. The problem with the rear seats in the Carrera is that it is difficult to get a secure fit b/c of the way the seats are (i.e. bucket nature of seats makes it hard to find the right car seat, if one exists, to lie properly). Infants need to ride rear-facing. You will have a hard time fitting a rear-facing car seat in the rear seat of a Carrera. And even if you were able to properly fit one, you DEFINITELY will not want to take it out only to try to reinstall it again at a later time. If you are thinking of getting a third car, you can definitely afford another car seat. But, I still would say, don't use the Carrera for infants. Wait until you can use the booster seat, and then buy the Porsche one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

There are LATCH attachments in the Carrera. Well, at least my '08 C2S has them. I think it's a Federal Law that all cars after '01 or '02 must have them. On my car, in the back, there are cutouts under the seat insert that access the points of attachment (or so my mechanic tells me - I've never needed them). The passenger seat also has attachment points at the base of the seat tucked behind the horizontal and vertical seat interfaces.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Keith,

I have a 4 yr old and 1 yr old. I have never used the Carrera to transport the kids. I thought about it and tried. It is difficult to move the infant seat to the rear and have it rear facing. There is a key to disable the front airbag (passenger side) so that you can install the car seat in the front. I just don't feel safe putting an infant nor a 2-3 year old in the front of the small coupe or a convertible. If you are thinking about moving the seat from one car to another, you are in for a treat. It will be tough and sometimes impossible with a crying baby (or a sleeping baby). If your child is asleep and god forbid you wake him/her up in the process of moving the car seat, you will feel the wrath of the postpartum mommy. It can be scary. I have total of 8 car seats. All the seats are latched in and haven't been taken out since they were installed. (none in the Porsche).
Second issue is the mess that the kids are going to make. You will be feeding them in the car (you may not plan for this but it WILL happen. It is a necessity. You have to sometimes sit next to the baby to coax em. Try sitting next to the baby in the back of the Carrera. You get my point. You may even change diapers full of biohazard in your car (I do this regularly). You should see my vehicles interior. I need to use a shop vacuum weekly. the stuff that gets caked-in is a biohazard at best.

Good luck and Congrats!

Frank
Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 AM
sako
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 3 month old and I was able to put him in his rear facing seat in the back of my carrera 2s without the base and it was secure. You just have to make sure the front seat is all the way forward and up (I have the sport seats). My wife is still able to sit in the front seat because the backrest is still in a normal position even though the seat is forward (we are short people 5"5'). Good luck. I got the carrera because its the only sports car that the whole family can enjoy.

Quick Reply: car seat question