Sponsored by:

Dirt/sand on the door sills

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Dirt/sand on the door sills

I looked a new car a few days a go ( ~100 miles, 2008) on a dealer lot and noticed, upon opening the driver's door, that there was a substantial amount of dirt on the door sill ( not footprints but dirty water that dried up). It looked like the remains of muddy water eg. driving on a road with in a contruction area. I also notied this on the passenger side. I have driven my cars in such situations but have never seen this on the door sills after opening ( just the mess on the outside). Is this normal or could this be from driving in deep water? (eg. 12"). The car did not smell musty but the carpet was a bit dirty as one would experience from a rainy day. Other than that the car looked great.
Any comments/insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It sounds very odd to me. There are seals on the lower edge of the door itself that should prevent such an occurrence. Is this being introduced on someone's feet, or by driving in muck, do you think?

One reason I never opted for the leather door sills was because my salesman warned me about that area,--but it is further up than the area you describe.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

My feeling is that it is from driving as I did not see anything in the interior ( except for the need for a good vacuuming... some lint, paper bits, etc.). Also, there was nothing on the "lip" or "ridge" ( my words... highest point toward the interior) of the sill.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:00 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure of the exact spot you're talking about.

If you're talking about the painted area outboard and below the "Carrera" badge but still within the door coverage, it's normal for that spot to collect some water and whatever the water brings with it.

When I drove through showers on Saturday on a road under construction, i.e. one with lots of dirt and debris, a bunch of dirt collected there.

Later when I washed the car, clean water and suds in a small amount collected there.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the seat bolts and peal back any carpet around the seats
a bit. If there is dirt/or worse yet rust, on the seat bolts, it
may have been in water. Also, if water has entered the
cabin, it is nearly impossible to get rid of the dust/dirt under
the carpet.

If a car has had a fair amount of water in the cabin, a musty smell
should be present in the severe heat. Very difficult to mask
this odor.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all! VERY helpful input.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normal to have dirt /water there- never noticed it on the atlas gray now its all i see on the creme! makes car washing an open the door phenomena- the first few times I forgot and had to get my cleaning materials back out when i went to move the car and realized what i forgot
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I looked a new car a few days a go ( ~100 miles, 2008) on a dealer lot and noticed, upon opening the driver's door, that there was a substantial amount of dirt on the door sill ( not footprints but dirty water that dried up). It looked like the remains of muddy water eg. driving on a road with in a contruction area. I also notied this on the passenger side. I have driven my cars in such situations but have never seen this on the door sills after opening ( just the mess on the outside). Is this normal or could this be from driving in deep water? (eg. 12"). The car did not smell musty but the carpet was a bit dirty as one would experience from a rainy day. Other than that the car looked great.
Any comments/insight would be appreciated.
After a lot of rain here, most cars I looked at had that - I think it is probably from rinsing them off in the lot so the look shiny on the outside.

Quick Reply: Dirt/sand on the door sills