Sponsored by:

Decision Advice: 997 C4/C4S, MB SL550 or BMW 650i

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

SL hands down.

You already have two Porsche's. Time to mix it up.

BMW, ugly.

SL gives you a great ride, looks great, and being a "roadster" gives you the best of both worlds (top up -quiet like a coupe, top down - wind in the hair).
Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blake
Based on the stste of the used "luxury" market, I am interested in acquiring a DD for under $60K. My wife and I have narrowed it down to 3 cars, and I could use your advice around a few variables:

-'06-'07 911 C4
-'06-'07 MB SL550
-'06-'07 BMW 650i

I have found plenty available that fit my budget with under 30K on the odometer. My wife and I drive our DD between 25-30K miles per year.

The variables we are interested in:
-Reliability
-Cost for maintenance
-gas mileage
-applicability as a DD

Has any owned these cars? I have no problem adding another 911 to the stable, but the wife wants more a GT car so the others get her vote...

Thanks!
-Blake
One strike against the 911 for this type of high mile usage is TIRE COST.
19" @ $0.17/mile X 27.5K = $4,675 PER YEAR - just rubber....
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
kenarm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SL550 close run with the C4. Rather have a bicycle than the BMW :-(
Old 06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

One more nay vote for the BMW, and with two P-cars already in your family, the SL is the default winner. Although I'm curious as to why the SL made your list, seeing how it's not as practical of a DD than many other GT cars (no back seats and minimal trunk space, plus a V-8). My personal preference would be the Audi A5/S5 instead.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Go with the MB, but you should consider a CLS55 or CLS63 AMG rather than the SL.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! Great feedback as always! I am glad to see such resounding support of the MB.

Originally Posted by Ucube
I'm curious as to why the SL made your list, seeing how it's not as practical of a DD than many other GT cars (no back seats and minimal trunk space, plus a V-8). My personal preference would be the Audi A5/S5 instead.
Great question. My wife can't stand Audis, so naturally they are off the list. (We get 300+ inches of snow per year and she would rather drive a 2WD BMW or MB.) But I'm not complaining! Her criteria was 1) hot looking car, 2) coupe, 3) German (no Audis). As she lets me sink far to much money into my Porsche habit, I decided to get her a car she would drive. The SL gives here the coupe feel, and is a pleasure to drive. I am leaning very heavily toward that car...

-Blake
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you're still reading this thread apparently...

another vote for the SL. stay away from the BMtroubleyou
Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Thanks guys! Great feedback as always! I am glad to see such resounding support of the MB.

Great question. My wife can't stand Audis, so naturally they are off the list. (We get 300+ inches of snow per year and she would rather drive a 2WD BMW or MB.) But I'm not complaining! Her criteria was 1) hot looking car, 2) coupe, 3) German (no Audis). As she lets me sink far to much money into my Porsche habit, I decided to get her a car she would drive. The SL gives here the coupe feel, and is a pleasure to drive. I am leaning very heavily toward that car...

-Blake
Have you seen the S5? what a fantastic looking car. That is an excellent choice. And AWD to boot with deep snow.

The BMW 650 looks dated even now I can't stand it, particularly with that unsightly rear end stuck on at a funny angle.

And, I think you would be surprised at the functionality of the SL's trunk. That would be my first choice as I am partial to the convertibles.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

-Blake
oh Lord, i just read your location. DON'T EVEN THINK about a BMW! your lovely (i'm sure) wife will slide right off the bleeding road.

put some Blizzaks or Conti Winters on the SL and you'll think it's a 4-wheeler. now fer shur the SL is my choice

but the Audi S-5 is not a bad suggestion
Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are on to me! I chose not to talk about my location in the original post because snow is not really an issue....

And Allegretto is right - I used to drive a BMW 3-series convertible as a DD with Blizzaks in the winter. Wife hated it! I now drive a Mini Cooper S + Blizzaks. The Mini is my wife's car in the summer, and then she has an SUV for the winter. In short, I'll get to drive the SL in winter - so appreciate all of your comments!

(Truth be told. If I buy my wife a pretty car at these discount prices - I can buy and race the Spec Boxter that I so badly covet!)

Thanks again.
-Blake
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

I actually drove my SL in the winter (all winter) with snow tires on and it handled great.

Quick Reply: Decision Advice: 997 C4/C4S, MB SL550 or BMW 650i