Washed and Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kimf70
JK335,
Thanks JK335. its basalt black. I do think that flat black shows better after a wax. I didn't get the post wax "ahhhh" as I did in the flat black 996. Basalt black shows well even after some dirt but never as pristine after a wash or a wax when compared to a flat black.
i used a Canon 5D Mark II with 70-200 IS 2.8 L lens (3 pics) and 16-35 2.8 II L (1 pic).

Edgy01,
cleaning the wheels were relatively easy. Especially the classic sport rims are very accessible with a brush or sponge. The difficult part was taking off the wax. I used Griot's carnuba. Its a heck of alot more difficult to take off than the P21, Zymol and Zaino bros. I hope this mean that it will stay on longer.
Nice camera. Hanging on to my old school 5D for now. Griot's Speed Shine is your best fried for getting the dried on caranuba wax off. Their random orbital is also a big time saver. Have three kids myself so killing a day to detail a car isn't much of an option anymore. Polished and waxed a Range Rover Classic SWB that I just picked up in no time.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:46 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

JK335,
Thanks JK335. its basalt black. I do think that flat black shows better after a wax. I didn't get the post wax "ahhhh" as I did in the flat black 996. Basalt black shows well even after some dirt but never as pristine after a wash or a wax when compared to a flat black.
i used a Canon 5D Mark II with 70-200 IS 2.8 L lens (3 pics) and 16-35 2.8 II L (1 pic).

Edgy01,
cleaning the wheels were relatively easy. Especially the classic sport rims are very accessible with a brush or sponge. The difficult part was taking off the wax. I used Griot's carnuba. Its a heck of alot more difficult to take off than the P21, Zymol and Zaino bros. I hope this mean that it will stay on longer.
Great pictures and good looking car. Now to the camera. I have the same lens. I'm thinking of upgrading my original Canon 5 D to the mark II and always interesed in comments before I take the plunge.

I said i had the same lenses but actually the 16-35 is still in the mail from B&H (want a wider lens than my 24-70 for Parade) . I normally keep the 70-200 on my 50D and the wider lenses on the 5 D. Again thanks for any comments you might have on the 5D MkII
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob in WA.
The clear sides arrived today from Suncoast Porsche. I am putting them on after I put the kids to bed.

DrJMK,
Let me know how you like the Swissvax. Griots was little too tough to wax off. I may need to get an orbital machine or switch over to something else. You car looks great by the way. More I look at those wheels, more I like 'em. When its time for you to wash them, you will love them. So easy...

LvnTheDrm,
Dude.. I'm from southern cal. Now in the midwest. Lived on Doheny near Sunset for years. I miss the nightlife and the restaurants. As soon as my wife and I had our daughter, we moved out of there in a hurry. I'm sure LA is a nice place to raise a family. For me, there are too many tempations. I have no will power and had to weasel out. We might move back to the west side after the kids are out of the house (long time from now. My kids are 4 and 1 y.o.).

OCBEN,
My bad. i meant non-metallic. Something about the non-metallic black with a "wet look" after a nice detail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm originally from East Coast, so I think I REALLY appreciate being out here--perhaps even more than "natives" can. We're down in SD, which is a great place to raise a family. Good luck in your new spot...If you do come back to SoCal--consider a Cab!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you complaining about the time and muscle aches involved in waxing your cars and wheels, I made the switch to Optimum Opti-Seal this year (no affiliation). This is the best stuff I've ever used. Wipe on / wipe off. No buffing. Lasts longer than anything else I've used and water beads like crazy. I've also been using some additional detailing spray from Optimum (I can't recall the name) which gives it a really decent gloss (also wipe on / off). I've used the Opti-Seal on my lobster fork wheels and the easy application is really appreciated there. Hope that helps someone out there.

David
Old 06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

F4 PLT

I mistakenly took you for a Nikon F-series user from your log on.
I love the 5D MkII. The good: Picture quality, light weight, relatively compact, full frame. The bad: flimsy battery cover. Some plastic flimsy parts. I was using film (Nikon) until about 3 years ago then got a Canon 10D. I never looked back since. Going from 10D to 5D mkII is a world of a difference. You may have less of a wow factor given your current camera. Most of the time I have the 16-35 2.8L II on the MkII. I returned the 24-105 F4 to BH after trying it out (I need bright lenses). I had the 24-70 2.8 on it for awhile but it is just too heavy. I love the MkII with 16-35 2.8L combo for the type of pictures I take. I do alot of indoor, kids play (mostly my little ones playing) and landscapes. My second favorite lens is the 70-200 2.8 II L. It is such a great all around lens. Only downfall is its weight and size. I can't bring the 70-200 2.8L to a kid's party without becoming the center of attention. It attracts too much attention and is too big.
Last time I checked, 5DMKii was backordered at BH. Try your local bestbuy. I got mine from a local BB last year when it was first launched.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

I do alot of indoor, kids play (mostly my little ones playing) and landscapes.
Try the 35mm f/1.4. Great compact lens and you can essentially shoot in the dark with 5D II. Mine was stolen which I replaced with the 50mm f/1.2. The 50 is now on my camera 75% of the time. Just wide enough for most indoor pics and very light and compact compared to the 24-70.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 AM
beachview
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Looks great.

Think about some clear side markers.
+1

Fantastic photography

And yes, the clear markers will transform the front end. ( in a good way of course)
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Try the 35mm f/1.4. Great compact lens and you can essentially shoot in the dark with 5D II. Mine was stolen which I replaced with the 50mm f/1.2. The 50 is now on my camera 75% of the time. Just wide enough for most indoor pics and very light and compact compared to the 24-70.
I agree with the weight of the 24-70. I keep my 70-200 F2.8 on the 50D all the time and do over 50% of my shots with it. Once I get the 16-35 F2.8 (it is in the mail from B&H) I may get rid of the 24-70. I have given my 50mm 1.4 lens to my daughter and i may also give her the 5 D with the 24-70 and get myself a 5 D MK II and another either 50 F1.2 or better the 85 1.2 either is a great low light lens. Most of my shooting is around sports cars, airplanes and grandchildren, all require fast lens and multi-frame DSLR cameras. By the way anyone going to parade? In spite of the cold should be great for pictures.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm
Gorgeous shots! And, your front yard looks like a park! We don't see many yards like that in SoCal...

Detailing tip for people over 25: get a Racatac Kneeling/Sitting Creeper Seat (bicycle seat on a short platform with cushioned knee-cups and wheels for rolling around!)...about $180 on rightlook.com

http://store.rightlook.com/index.asp...S&Category=123

(not affiliated with them, by the way)
Great looking car!!
I am not sure about the sitting/creeper seat but that Rightlook website has some great looking products. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Just got the side clears installed. I was a bit nervous about slipping in the flathead between the old blinker and the car. It did work out great.

To another topic. I have been looking at the 85mm 1.2. It looks like a great lens. I am concerned about the DOF (depth of field). It has such a narrow field of viewed that I have been a bit reluntant to purchase it. Any thoughts?

Last edited by kimf70; 06-11-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a full wash/clay/polish/wax (sealant) with my Basalt C2S .2 Cab (what a mouthful these model designations have become!)

Stopped using carnuba a couple of cars ago. waaay too difficult to apply/remove and the shine isn't worth it.

my car had some mild swirls, and Basalt shows swirls like crazy in sun or florescent. so after the clay (yeah, i clayed a new car, they get stuff in shipment) i used a cyclo (the best!) and did menzerna's finest polish (thanks Ben) and the swirls were truly almost gone. followed this with Klasse's sealant. extremely easy to use both going on and off.

bottom line, the car shines like crazy and the metallic nature of the Basalt really shows through. the metallic of Basalt seems to me to be the most subtle metallic i've ever owned. and when not properly highlighted just has no pop at all, just looks like dusty black. but this prep did the trick! while it did take all day since each step requires a wash in between (and dry) it really was worth it.

i don't like detailing a car, but this time i was very satisfied. the cyclo is a great tool BTW...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Just got the side clears installed. I was a bit nervous about slipping in the flathead between the old blinker and the car. It did work out great.

To another topic. I have been looking at the 85mm 1.2. It looks like a great lens. I am concerned about the FOV (field of view). It has such a narrow field of viewed that I have been a bit reluntant to purchase it. Any thoughts?
unless you're a very serious amateur and do a lot of available light portraits don't bother. i had one. great looking lens for us glass junkies, but not terribly practical. heavy and very limited FOV.

i use the 16-35 L, 24-105L and rarely the 70-200L for just about everything now.

BTW, the side markers will come off by hand if you slide them
Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

To another topic. I have been looking at the 85mm 1.2. It looks like a great lens. I am concerned about the FOV (field of view). It has such a narrow field of viewed that I have been a bit reluntant to purchase it. Any thoughts?
It never really hurts to try a lens. Unlike cars, you don't lose your shirt buying new and reselling in a couple weeks. Absolutely love my 85 1.2 II for what it is. It's as wide as you have room to step back (used it to shoot my avatar). It's a portrait lens and great for getting tight shots indoors. You can get some really cool images at f/1.2. Focus can be slow though.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by daddyscar
It never really hurts to try a lens. Unlike cars, you don't lose your shirt buying new and reselling in a couple weeks. Absolutely love my 85 1.2 II for what it is. It's as wide as you have room to step back (used it to shoot my avatar). It's a portrait lens and great for getting tight shots indoors. You can get some really cool images at f/1.2. Focus can be slow though.
i didn't intend to shy away anyone from the lens. and although it does take a little more time for the autofocus to move all that glass, it's still quicker than i would be!

but that shot could be done with any lens of similar length. the real beauty of the 1.2 is the ability of shallowing the DOF to nearly nothing of course. just never found many shots where i 'needed" that. but not a bad effect. and you're quite right, the lens sold on eBay in a heartbeat for about $200 less than i paid from B&H as i recall.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

My main glasses are 16-35 2.8 II and 70-200 and 2.8 L II. Other lenses are mainly collecting dust. I occasionally use 100 Macro. I've always wanted the 80 mm 1.2. II L. I am not a big fan of flash and the 1.2 appeals to me. I enjoy taking candid shots (facial expressions, kid's parties, etc). 70-200 works well except for its LOUD White bazooka like appearance that frightens/intrigues the kids. I didn't care much for the 24-70. Maybe, my wife will surprise me with the 80 1.2 on Father's day. BH is having a great deal on it these days. I will need to start dropping hints to my wife.

daddyscar
You avatar is fantastic. Great picture.

Allegretto,
Do you have any pics of the basalt black detailed? I would love to see it.

Quick Reply: Washed and Detailed