Sponsored by:

already searched, help on '05 C2s or '06 C2

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
marshall07
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default already searched, help on '05 C2s or '06 C2

hello everybody. first, i have searched and searched and searched to find exactly what i need. yet, i still expect to receive some sarcastic remarks, so bring them on. hopefully, i will receive some constructive, helpful advice as well... everyone here seems very knowledgeable so thank you in advance for your help.

i am very close to buying a 997. i need to decide between an 2006 C2 and a 2005 C2S. I do plan on light track days, but nothing huge... maybe 1-2 days max per year.

The '06 C2 is lightly optioned... basically it just has Bose, Xenons and NAV... The '05 C2S does not have anything beyond NAV and the differences from the C2 (brakes, PASM, 3.8L, etc. etc. etc.)...

The '06 C2 is under factory warranty for another year. The '05 C2S is CPO'd until the end of this year... so both cars have a little warranty left, but not a lot... both cars have about 25,000 miles on the clock...

The '05 C2S will cost me about $46K, and the '06 C2 will cost me about $42K... so about a $4K difference in price...

My reasons for the '06 C2 = newer car (always nice), upgraded intermediate shaft (how much of an upgrade was this???), 2nd generation NAV or from what i read, NAV was updated at some point in the 2005 model year...

My concerns for the '06 C2= i admit i am a jackass, but my concern is opening my garage door, looking at the car, and saying "god i wish i had an S"...

My reasons for the '05 C2S = 355hp vs. 325hp, red brakes w/ open calipers (hmm.. i think i just love the way they look), quad exhaust tip (i just plan on sharky bypass), better resale value???, and lastly yes i'll admit it my own personal ego (looking in the garage and seeing you have a C2S)...

My concerns for the '05 C2S = first production year for the 997... the carfax original date was 12/2004 so it was an eariler model., i get the old version NAV (how bad is it?) and the original IMS (how big a difference from the 2006 redesign from the original 2005 design - much fewer occurences of blown engines???)...

I need some help deciding, I can't sleep at night thinking about this... well also because I've been watching track videos of 997s... (LVDELL is one FAST guy out there on the track)... so who knows, maybe 1-2 days a year turns into more???

This car will be a daily driver, and I put about 15K on the clock every year, so reliability is a pretty big concern for me... I don't mind spending 1-2K per year on general maintenance, and will plan for a future clutch replacement (as i read in another thread)... i will be changing the oil myself, the brakes myself, and clutch with a friend's help...

Along these lines, I know it's been addressed before, but really how important is warranty/ CPO? Are the people who complain about problems representative of only a small sample of the true population? The only reason I ask is there are other out-of warranty 997's out there from private parties that are about $3-4K less in price... There are also some higher mileage C2S's out there with about 40,000 miles on the clock... is that getting kind of high? I've researched the service intervals, and there isn't any pressing maintenance at 40,000 miles... the only thing i can think of is brake pads at some point and potentially clutch in the not to distant future (depending on how the car has been driven)...

I am comfortable with all the PPI, and "what to look for" information based on what I've read here... now just need help picking the car... so... "to S or not to S, that is the question"

Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple of corrections first. I'm unaware that there was any change in Nav between 05 and 06. I believe the first change, which was significant, is in the 09 (which I have). There's no Sharky bypass for an 05 or 06. The exhaust system is totally different. With the 05/06, you would be looking at changing the headers and cats in order to make a substantial upgrade (if on a budget, Porsche X51 headers and AWE Cats are about $2k combined).

I think you nailed it on the head when you said "open the garage door and think - why didn't I get an S..." That's going to haunt you forever, so you might as well figure out a way to get into an S. If not this one, then another.

CPO is nice in that to get CPO the car has to go through the wringer and you can easily get a copy of the report including a DME readout to see the engine revolutions. Usually during CPO things like brake pads, fluid, oil / filter, tires, etc. will all be replaced in order to meet the CPO standard. So, with the 06 you might have tired old tires, where on the CPO 05, you might get fresh ones.

I've always asked for a PPI / CPO report, paint check, CarFax, DME readout, etc. when shopping for a used Porsche (always ended up with CPO).

Good luck and remember, no matter what year or type of Porsche you get, you are buying a great car!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd get the S just for the larger brakes alone, especially if a track day now and then is in the plans. Everything else is just a bonus on top of that.

Also, for whatever it's worth, my "few track weekends a year" has turned into an insatiable addiction. Plan for that.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
marshall07
3rd Gear

thanks ron for the response... i've read so many old threads, its mind-numbing... i thoguht i read there was an "update" in 2005...

yes, there is no sharky bypass... sorry, i was thinking about doing the "cheap bypass" mentioned in old threads... i just got confused... however, the x51 headers/ awe cats recommendation sounds good... im on a limited budget so bilstein c/o's are on the top of the list...

well, everything in my heart says "get the S"... and then my head says "there's not a huge performance difference, you won't even notice, get the non-S".... and i just can't decide for the life of me...

i have decided and agree wtih you, I am going to get a warrantied/ CPO car. piece of mind.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Just go by the usual Porsche advice. If you have searched and searched and searched, you know what it is, don't you?

Aside from that piece of advice, I would avoid the first year model of the 997 because there are some issues unique to them.

Be patient. Wait 6-9 months longer and THEN look at what's available. Your impatience is going to hurt you in the long run. There are literally dozens of 997s out there for the taking.

Mileage is not a serious factor on Porsches. I would be more suspect of a low mileage car than one that has racked up 10-12,000 miles a year (more the norm). These cars have been designed around minimizing maintenance and so the first 'real' maintenance will come at about 60,000 when they say it's time for plugs. Other than that, it's just the usual filters and lubricants and pads.

Keep in mind that those with issues with their cars are highly vocal,--while the vast majority simply enjoy them, and don't take the time to write in and say, "the car is perfect and works all the time."
Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some truth there... A CPO 06 S w/ zero (or minimal) options (to keep the price down) and "moderate" miles would be just fine as long as in the CPO process they replaced things like brake pads and tires. That would give you warranty for about 3 years, which would be well worth the extra the car will cost you. Avoid making any modifications for a long time and only if "needed" for say track advancement (ie: GT3 Cup control arms and alignment to get camber). Otherwise, save your $ and / or advance the $ toward the initial purchase instead of adding on to an already fantastic machine.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:27 PM
marshall07
3rd Gear

edgy... i think what you are saying is the "S" is the way to go... by the way, that blue is AWESOME on your car... ultimately, i think the advice is this... "WAIT... and buy a 2006 C2S..." and you know what? i think that it is great advice... thank you guys...

hmm... if i wait too long... i might be tempted to hold out for an '09!!! j/k...

marsh
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

Originally Posted by marshall07
edgy... i think what you are saying is the "S" is the way to go... by the way, that blue is AWESOME on your car... ultimately, i think the advice is this... "WAIT... and buy a 2006 C2S..." and you know what? i think that it is great advice... thank you guys...

hmm... if i wait too long... i might be tempted to hold out for an '09!!! j/k...

marsh
Good thread marsh, I'm also looking to get my first p-car. Thank you Ron and Edgy, I find your advice very valuable throughout this forum.
From my research on the forum and elsewhere I think the advice Edgy was refering to is 'buy the latest model you can afford' Am i right?
Like many first time p-car buyers, I have the same question/dilemma, buy 'S' or newer non S...
thank you guys for sharing you passion and knowledge!

Quick Reply: already searched, help on '05 C2s or '06 C2