Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohh 997 forum. Where have we gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 01:30 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe, just maybe, people don't like Scammers!

In the John Madden world, you'd be a # 3, as evidenced by your post.

There have been many people (like me) here who have bought cars recently, and have not brought up price or discussed deals. I find your disclosures and representations less than honest or forthcoming.. and I was never tempted to ask you for a quote, out of respect for forum sponsors.

Like some, I have brought up the issue of " pretended honesty and friendliness", by non-sponsors who want to benefit by picking the low hanging fruit.

Maybe that is the problem.... buy a mirror and check your join date, there might be a correlation with the decline of the forum.
Old 06-04-2009 | 03:02 AM
rsdarcan
Advanced

I would do sub-forums.

something like...

Pricing
mods
Complaints
Problems
Electronics

Since I'm new here and it seems to be the best forum I have found for the 911, it would be a little easier to find stuff.
Old 06-04-2009 | 05:05 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Take a look at the other forums and see the numbers of postings on their respective areas. More specifically, look to see how many of those postings deal with how to REPAIR or OBTAIN spare parts for that car. This sort of review should be mandatory reading and reviewing for prospective Porsche buyers so that they know what they are getting into,--specifically, if they have never owned a Porsche before.
It's actually a testament to the quality of our cars that the 997 forum may be a bit boring ... not so many problems to bitch about. No real 356 interest on RL, but imagine threads inquiring whether anyone has any rust-free areas left, or as you suggest, where to find parts for 50 year old cars (surprisingly, most parts are readily available). For a different take, check out the 356 Registry (a somber, very serious forum) (couple of today's threads: "It's alive!", "First drive since 1979")

http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Well, as a volunteer moderator I was curious about your statement from a "health of the forum" standpoint. So I looked at the titles of all of the posts on "Page 1" for a reminder of their content.

I really don't see what you are talking about:

New Cab.
Pre-delivery Question (a car you appear to have sold him).
Take the Long Way Home w/ Pix.
OZ Wheels Opinions?
Life - Grandson washing a Porsche.
This post.
How to deal with this stain.
998 Primer.
Sound coming from Engine?
Wet floorboards in 05 car.
Ordering a C4S
Looking at an 07 CPO - questions / fair pricing.
Lazy Lifter - board sponsor.
PDK vs. Manual (concerned about PDK).
May Sales figures (posted every month).
Denison Firmware - Free (board sponsor).
Front Plate?
CA Front Plate ticket.
Hottie - Road Test.
Metrics on Sales?
Price for a Used Car?
June 1?
Smoke - ok?
997.2 - New Car.
Sharkwerks Bypass (board sponsor - my post).
Can I add Nav to 997.2 car?
In for Bypass, also got wheels.
DVD Video?
Estoril Blue?
Denison.
Security Lug Q.
Big Bear Drive - Pix.
OEM Muffler TSB (board sponsor).
Drill holes in Bumper?
DE Pictures.
WTB Switches.
Best Motoring article.
Paint Chip Repair?
BlueTooth Q.
Free...

Out of 40 posts and if you take out this one, there is 1 negative opinion about June 1 - First Mile and 1 negative opinion on PDK favoring manual shift. All 37 other posts are "normal" based on my years as a contributor here at RL.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:26 AM
Frino
Pro

Does anyone else find it ironic that a car salesman who spends a lot of time on this forum hustling business is bemoaning the fact that there is too much discussion on buying and selling 997's?

Count me among those who believe that likemystoppie's presence on this forum is the reason why this board has become "boring". I don't hang out on this board to find out the latest money factor from Porsche, the extent to which 911's are being discounted, or what my ride is worth. I spend time on this board to stay up to date with my fellow Porsche enthusiasts on all things (mechanical, warranty, car care, track experiences, etc) related to my 997.

My vote would be for the site administrator to create a separate sub-forum for all issues related to buying and selling 997's. A car salesman with an obvious financial axe to grind should be required to make some sort of disclosure so that unsuspecting rennlisters know the real deal...that the pot stirring poster who wants to be everyone's friend has got a business agenda that is out of alignment with Rennlist forum values.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:41 AM
jgriffCS
Advanced

I think this is a great forum. It hasn't degenerated into one of those forums where "use the search function" is the answer to every question yet. Someday someone will join the forum who posts "use the search function" about 5 seconds after every new topic is created. That's the moment when I will leave.

I think pricing information is very valuable. I'll take all of it I can get.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:42 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Something tells me you wouldn't be complaining if people, instead of looking for a "deal", were looking to buy 997s at MSRP.

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
So, on my way home this evening, thinking about todays business, things to do at home, sipping my coffee - and thinking about Porsche.

Specifically- THIS forum. And if its not come to your attention, it has mine, that pretty much the only thing we talk about on this forum is:

1) whats the BEST deal I can get on X, Y, Z 997.
2) Is this a good deal?
3) June 1st
4) Whats the best deal I can get on underpants?
5) Am I getting ripped off by Porsche?
6) Is PAG's boardroom made up of cash money dollar bills yo?
7) PDK is crap! It's all crap!
8) What's the difference between a African Dung Beetle, and say, a C4?
9) what's the best price I can get on this 06 C2?
10) come back in a week and you'll see the same threads.

Got the picture?

So with that, should we make a 997 sub forum *specifically* for pricing and pricing questions only?

That way we can leave the rest of the forum for pictures of all the shiney new 997's that some of you are adding to the family, post drive events, pictures of drive events, 997/998 spy photos and car controversy and new engine arguements, exciting 'happenings' with your own personal 997 ect ect.

But more importantly, things related to, actually- the 997 Carrera. Is that possible? Or have you all gone mad and treat this poor little Carrera like it's a damn Lexus RX350.

Good God man (and Woman!) have you no mercy for the good Dr?

Carry on peeps.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:52 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Likemystoppie?;6622474]

So with that, should we make a 997 sub forum *specifically* for pricing and pricing questions only?
QUOTE]

Why? Pricing is a part of Porsche, 997 etc.....as much as maintenence, mods, TSB's etc. I can understand the subject of pricing is more sensitive to some than others, but I don't see that subject getting any more attention than any other subject. And if all else fails, don't visit that post.

Just my thoughts but then I'm still trying to figure why the father, Dr. F. Porsche gets so much credit for Porsche.
Old 06-04-2009 | 09:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Taking Moderator hat OFF.....just speaking as a RL member

Chris,

Putting Moderator hat (yes, they are made from tin foil) back ON.
Thank you.

It's been a long day. It's hard to be a Moderator/Adult day care provider/Therapist.
Old 06-04-2009 | 09:40 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Forums do evolve, agree w/ Edgy01's posting. I ignore what I find useless, offensive, ignorant. None of the sites I visit take that long to sift through searching for wheat among the chaff. Maybe some folks just have too much time on their hands?
Old 06-04-2009 | 09:43 AM
peterm
Racer

How did this turn into "everyone hates chris"?

Ignoring posts and posters you don't like is the beauty of "boards". Chris doesnt like to read pricing posts - ignore them- you don't want to read posts or topics by chris - ignore them

I do think the First mile program was spot on topic for the forum and very important to debate.. PDK controversy - jousting between haters and lovers is VERY on topic, especially for those in mid decision process. Complaining about PFS/PCNA winds up to be just whining and I ignore it
Old 06-04-2009 | 10:17 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Taking off my tin foil Moderator hat..

Chris you really need to get OFF your judgmental pulpit, The forum is what it is, This forum does not exist to make YOU happy it exists to assist other owners with tech needs and form a community around the owners and admirers of the 997. I watch you "troll" these boards with some kind of entitlement that makes no sense to me. You seem to grow more arrogant by the day. Chris I have never met you and can only judge you by your "on line persona" you may indeed be a great guy as you keep telling us. This is the kind of thread I would expect from a troll. WHAT IS THE POINT?

If you want to use Rennlist to sell cars thats fine, have your dealer by a sponsorship. For the record I have nothing against you, I just don't get it.

The comments expressed above are MINE and not that of a Volunteer Rennlist Moderator.

I now place the tin hat back upon my pointy head
Old 06-04-2009 | 10:28 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
So, on my way home this evening, thinking about todays business, things to do at home, sipping my coffee - and thinking about Porsche.

Specifically- THIS forum. And if its not come to your attention, it has mine, that pretty much the only thing we talk about on this forum is:

1) whats the BEST deal I can get on X, Y, Z 997.
2) Is this a good deal?
3) June 1st
4) Whats the best deal I can get on underpants?
5) Am I getting ripped off by Porsche?
6) Is PAG's boardroom made up of cash money dollar bills yo?
7) PDK is crap! It's all crap!
8) What's the difference between a African Dung Beetle, and say, a C4?
9) what's the best price I can get on this 06 C2?
10) come back in a week and you'll see the same threads.

Got the picture?

That way we can leave the rest of the forum for pictures of all the shiney new 997's that some of you are adding to the family, post drive events, pictures of drive events, 997/998 spy photos and car controversy and new engine arguements, exciting 'happenings' with your own personal 997 ect ect.

But more importantly, things related to, actually- the 997 Carrera. Is that possible? Or have you all gone mad and treat this poor little Carrera like it's a damn Lexus RX350.

Good God man (and Woman!) have you no mercy for the good Dr?

Carry on peeps.
I would like a sub forum for pricing, ordering, and opinions on deals. Maybe the main forum should be about the passion? But then again, when someone buys a new car, tells us the deal, the pics, i would want to see that in the main forum. I visit this site daily. It's food for my soul. When I hear someone scored a killer deal and is happy about his or her 997, it becomes good karma.

I also contributed to the whole, is this a good deal questions. Luckily I got a car I love. And from this point forward, I will try and contribute perspective. When I was brand new to this brand just 4 months ago, I needed a site like this to research, ask people what they thought. I learned the hard way the only way to decide is to trust your gut. But take perspective into consideration from all who post and are members of this forum.

This is a great place. The people who run it and contribute should be congratulated. You make it an atmosphere newbies can be welcomed.

So thanks guys and gals, many helped me out along the way and this place really is the 997 diamond on the web.
Old 06-04-2009 | 10:34 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by peterm
How did this turn into "everyone hates chris"?

Ignoring posts and posters you don't like is the beauty of "boards". Chris doesnt like to read pricing posts - ignore them- you don't want to read posts or topics by chris - ignore them

I do think the First mile program was spot on topic for the forum and very important to debate.. PDK controversy - jousting between haters and lovers is VERY on topic, especially for those in mid decision process. Complaining about PFS/PCNA winds up to be just whining and I ignore it
First Mile brought me into this forum. I may have annoyed a lot of folks with general questions about the car, but you have to learn somewhere, right? So I am obviously in aggreement that all the topics should be avaliable for discussion.

I think the PDK debate is a real deal. I am a devout manual driver, but people's posts about how well it drives opened me up to the fact PDK is a powerful option for me in the future.
Old 06-04-2009 | 10:39 AM
9elf S
Instructor

I don't agree that the forum has turned boring...hell, we talk about unknown stains inside rear.

Quick Reply: Ohh 997 forum. Where have we gone wrong?