Sponsored by:

Ordering C4S - questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering C4S - questions

I'm about to place an order for a Carrera C4S. A lot of the options I want (PCCB, Nav, dynamic lights, carbon sport seats, etc) can't be found all in a prebuilt, so I'm just starting from scratch. I have a few questions tho before I go ahead with it.

1) The dealer said that if I placed (modified an existing) order in the next few weeks on a July schedule build (before plant shuts down), it would be a true and documented MY2010 delivered in August. A few people I've been talking to have said that that is most likely impossible, as MY2010 come out after they come back from the break. Which is correct?

2) While I'm not buying this car specifically as a track car, I will be getting some track time with it. I had heard that things like full leather option can add 100-200lbs easy as can dynamic lights, etc. Any options really weigh the car down?

3) Would adding a GT3 or similar aftermarket bumper increase the airflow and cooling to the brakes and engine? I noticed the vent on the top of the GT3 bumper but didn't know if it actually did anything or was more for looks. Also, exactly how does a rear spoiler wing work when the spoiler goes up and down depending on speed?

Any help you could give would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

I'm probably the least expert person online now, so I'll answer your questions! LOL

1) I've been told by several dealers that it is called a "true" 2010 if you get it built before the summer holiday in Zuffenhausen, but that you have to choose from the current options. Soooo, I don't know if the early 2010's actually incorporate any changes from the 09's or if it's just semantics. Strike one.

2) Power seats have heavy motors in them. Power lights same. Bose adds weight. PSE adds weight, too. I've been told the pwr seats add 20+lbs (each?), PSE adds 20+lbs, and that the Bose (subwoofer, I suppose) adds 20+lbs.

3) No clue. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Default P.S.

3) The rear spoiler wing goes up when you go fast; it goes down when you go slow. Um, am I missing something?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Ouch my head hurts.

just kidding.

1) it's only a true 2010 if it's gives a Letter instead of a "9" in the VIN. Mkay?
2) If you're only going to track it a few days, who cares about added weight. you're getting a C4S, you're not concerned with weight. Otherwise, get a 2010 GT3.
3) OEM spoiler is for COOLING purposes only. Its not for downforce. The GT3 style wing ADDS downforce.

GT3 vent is for cooling. It's functional. Not just for 'show'.

Ps. There is a reason that Porsche's GT series cars are RWD.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib

1) The dealer said that if I placed (modified an existing) order in the next few weeks on a July schedule build (before plant shuts down), it would be a true and documented MY2010 delivered in August. A few people I've been talking to have said that that is most likely impossible, as MY2010 come out after they come back from the break. Which is correct?

2) While I'm not buying this car specifically as a track car, I will be getting some track time with it. I had heard that things like full leather option can add 100-200lbs easy as can dynamic lights, etc. Any options really weigh the car down?

3) Would adding a GT3 or similar aftermarket bumper increase the airflow and cooling to the brakes and engine? I noticed the vent on the top of the GT3 bumper but didn't know if it actually did anything or was more for looks. Also, exactly how does a rear spoiler wing work when the spoiler goes up and down depending on speed?

1) I'm told that current production - June/July is true 2010 model. Maybe Chris can chime in.

2) Full leather should not make any weight difference. Motorized seats and Bose, dynamic lights and such, do.

3) An aero package GT3 like wing is fixed. The original cover an moveable spoiler is removed and a new cover with the new fixed wing is added.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am well aware of the fact that the adding the AWD and the PDK ads some weight, which is why I am trying to keep this car as light as possible. It's not only for the fact that I'd like to track it one or two times a month, but the fact that shaving a few lbs can help at the pump too.

That said, I was able to take a peak at a few order forms for the cars, which states the model year as 2010 for the July and August builds.

As for the leather, I talked to a few Porsche mechanics and they told me that although they didn't know how much full leather added to the weight, the carpet (including soundproofing) alone added well over 100lbs to the car. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea, but they seemed rather competent.

I was curious if there was a CT3 type bumper for the front that wasn't just looks - that actually provided increased airflow. I was also wondering if there was a rear spoiler that retained the automatic movement of the spoiler but allowed for downforce to be created as well.

So far, this is what I have, please feel free to comment on if you think I should add or remove anything (trim, different wheels or steering wheel, leather, paint, etc):

Carrera White - B4
Black / Stone Grey Interior - BK
Self Dimming Mirrors - 267
Rear Window Wiper - 425
Side Skirts in Painted Exterior Color - XAJ
Park Assist System - 635
Dynamic Cornering Lights - 603
Sports Exhaust System - 176
Sports Chrono Package Plus - 640
PASM Sports Suspension - 030
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) - 450
7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) - 250
19" Turbo Wheel - 404
Sport Chrono Timer Display Painted Speed Yellow - CGH
Instrument dials in Speed Yellow - XFH
Sport Bucket Seats - P03
Porsche Crest in Headrest - XSC
3-Spoke PDK Multifunction Steering Wheel in in Smooth Leather - 844
Electronic Logbook - 641
XM Radio - 686
Universal Audio Interface - 870
BOSE High End Sound Package - 680
Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone - 619
PCM Voice Control - 671
Navigation Module for PCM - 672

Total Price = 129,040

Any before anyone comments on it, yes, this is within a new 997 Turbo price range, the stripped down nothing on it with a crummy Tip-tranny version of the Turbo. I rather a fully loaded model down then a bare bones model up.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Which will you enjoy more,--daily drives with the vehicle, or an occasional track day? I would not build a stripper to save weight as you will find many of those statistics are overstated. BTW, that is CARRARA white, as in the town in Italy where Michaelangelo sourced his marble. Once you have gone toa 4, weight just isn't an issue any longer,--you're now committed to a different feel on the track.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Edgy (as usual)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Edgy, thanks for the reply. I tried to copy and paste the options list, didn't work out so well tho, so I tried to quickly type it up - ergo my mistake. I understand that people say the C4S isn't as fun to drive (especially in the track) as the C2S. However, it isn't "fun" per say that I'm looking for on a track - more the fact that it can get around corners quicker. It would make sense to me at least that an AWD is faster around a corner then a RWD. In reality, I'm buying a AWD because I live in New England, and rain and snow are a reality of life which I have to adapt to.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You're on the right track with the PCCBs,--I do feel them working well with the suspension. I understand the thought about 4WD in New England,--it will perhaps extend your driving season. These cars have siginificant capability without resorting to 4WD,--as an old 911 driver I find the current 997s to be nearly impossible to lose the rear end on.

The tails go up at 75 mph and return at about 30 mph to put a bit more downforce on the cars at speed.

I found that when the weather was cold, but without precip, I would drive my car in New England, but whenever there was a chance of precip, the car stayed home. It's more the OTHER guys in their winter beaters that you have to look out for. Handling on the 2WD is tremendous.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
camhabib
Instructor

I do have a AWD sedan (Audi A4) that I intend to use as a daily driver, especially in bad weather situations. I've never really driven a 2WD car before, only when turning one of my AWDs in for service and receiving a 2WD as a loaner. I always felt like I was going to die driving it home, taking corners and hitting patches of hazards (sand, water, leaves, etc). Granted they never gave me a loaner that was a 911, I feel that the AWD has to provide some kind of benefit in the corners.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

New England? HOME!!!!!!! Where ova there Lobsta?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Perhaps you haven't driven a REAR WHEEL DRIVE vehicle with a rear engine. That's the best of all worlds. When I lived in Nashua, NH I could go anywhere, and up any hill with snow tires and a 911. Spend some time at your dealer's lot taking the different variants out for a lengthy spin. Porsche makes so many different models of the Carrera that you need to ascertain which one is right for you FIRST before you start to load it up.

Here's what went into my car in 06:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise) Türkis Blau
06 Natural Leather Brown
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery

P.S. -- why the narrow wheels? Do you just like the turbo look? Keep in mind that the more wheel you have on your Carrera the better things are. The turbo wheels at 8.5 in front, and 11 in back. The Carrera Spots are 8.5 and 11.5
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The RWD vs 4WD debate is heated, frequent, and unlikely to be settled in this thread. That said -- I'm of the opinion that the 4WD cars only exist to satisfy Porsche's marketing department. If product design was left to the engineers and drivers they'd never have been created.

If a person has a daily driver or lives in a temperate climate there's no reason to spend the extra money and suffer the extra weight and complexity of the 4WD. The 4WD adds nothing and comes at a measurable expense in handling, storage space, maintenance costs, and purchase price.

At least that's my perspective as someone who has owned, driven, and tracked FWD, RWD, and 4WD cars. I'd never buy a 4WD 911.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Model year is just a label... It is what the YEAR digit in the VIN is...

Originally Posted by camhabib
I'm about to place an order for a Carrera C4S. A lot of the options I want (PCCB, Nav, dynamic lights, carbon sport seats, etc) can't be found all in a prebuilt, so I'm just starting from scratch. I have a few questions tho before I go ahead with it.

I have read of some buyers who have claimed -- and I have no reason to doubt they believe this -- that they have received a 2010 car having just taken delivery of a new car. I do not know what the VIN year number is in these few cases.

If having a true 2010 MY car is important to you you need something more concrete that jsut a car salesman's word. Rule #1 is anything car salesman tells you is 1) Intended to get you to buy car as soon as possible; 2) Pay as much for as possible.

Any options add weight.

Word is Porsche's are tested in wind tunnel and aerodynamics verified. When you make a car that can go 150+ mph you don't want them flying off road. Ask Audi about this. It's early TTs were prone to this.

Word from people I trust is if you go mixing/matching after market bumpers and other "aerodynamic" aids you can upset the car's handling and such.

If a manufacturer claims aerodynamic benefits he's got to have test proof to back up claim.

Vent helps air exhaust quicker and from above car -- rather than under car -- to keep lift down at speed.

Rear spoiler probably neutral in down position though you have to consider at 70mph and spoiler down if one's heading into a head wind vehicle's air speed can be quite a bit over 70mph, so there may be some benefit from the spoiler even in the down position.

At a higher speed spoiler raised to get it in the air flow stream that must be up there where the spoiler is for the spoiler to have any effect.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Ordering C4S - questions