Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmm, iPod issue with new Universal Audio...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 12:38 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Default Hmm, iPod issue with new Universal Audio...

A couple days ago my iPod stopped working with the PCM on my '09 C2S CAB. The iPod had the Porsche logo frozen into the still lit display like it was plugged into the Universal Audio, & no pulse. I reset it, which worked, chrged it, played some songs, then packed it up for my trip to Cozumel. Unfortunately when I went to use it on the plane it was completely dead, no reset possible, even after charging for several hours.

I wonder if it's coincidence, or did the UA play a role, possibly by over charging the iPod.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:18 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

My Nano Gen 4 runs flat on the iPod connection (is this Firewire?) but charges with the USB connection.
The message on iPod screenis “Accessory does not support charging”
Have yet to take it to the dealer to check, apparently Apple made the Nano only chargeable on USB
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:48 AM
rsdarcan
Advanced

I had this problem I did the PCM update and it hasn't happened since...
Old 05-31-2009 | 04:39 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

rsdarcan, do you remember the latest version of the PCM update, thanks
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:11 PM
rsdarcan
Advanced

My car wasn't showing a version. I purchased the upgrade disk V1.14 i think its the first update out from Suncoast Motorsports, it was $12.95. My dealer said there weren't any updates out yet.
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:26 PM
rsdarcan
Advanced

just checked version. V1.4

hope it fixes you issue!
Old 05-31-2009 | 08:46 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Thanks rsdarcan
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:45 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Todd, the iPod is not bricked. It happened to mine. Totally unresponsive to any trick, just a blank screen. Here is how I got it back to life:
First, I did the classic menu-reset button trick and it did not work. So i went to the apple support page and they said to repeat it while plugged into the charger. Still did not work. So I called applecare, and they said to keep trying the reset and made me hold the buttons down for 20 seconds each time. On the fifth try, I got an apple logo. Also, in between each reset attempt, I pugged and unplugged the cable and switched the hold button back and forth. Then when the ipod was functioning, I did a full restore from my mac on the ipod. Then I called my dealer and bitched like hell about an nearly bricked iPod. Apple advised me that it was not their product that caused the situation. They said to talk to porsche. My advice would be to get in touch with your service adviser too. We need a patch soon! My ipod is occasionally working well with the PCM, and that is not good enough.
Old 06-09-2009 | 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

I'm not sure how Apple can categorically say they are not responsible for the issue, when we don't even know what the issue is. For all we know, it could be a bug in the hardware interface over the docking port, or its software interface that is at fault.

If you provide a product with an external interface that has issues that can cause your product to fail if that interface is used.. that is partly your fault if you designed and licensed the interface.

Until we understand the issue, its anybody's fault.

I still occasionally get my iPod photo locking up.. I'm thinking is vibration related as I've noticed it happened once right as I hit a small pothole in the road.

Then there is still the ongoing issue of the iPod coming out of sleep mode (not used in a few days) and starting from default playback (song entry #1, all options (eg shuffle) reset to default off), rather than remembering where it was... given it has plenty of charge in the battery to store that state in the ipod.
Old 06-09-2009 | 06:52 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

I got back from Cozumel and was able to fix my iPod by hooking it up to the factory charger and resetting it, the battery was full. My iGo charger which I travel with was not able to do this. I called my Porsche Salesman, who know nothing of a PCM update.
Old 06-10-2009 | 01:19 AM
docjohnM
Racer

[QUOTE=Minok;6637912]I'm not sure how Apple can categorically say they are not responsible for the issue, when we don't even know what the issue is. For all we know, it could be a bug in the hardware interface over the docking port, or its software interface that is at fault.

If you provide a product with an external interface that has issues that can cause your product to fail if that interface is used.. that is partly your fault if you designed and licensed the interface.

Until we understand the issue, its anybody's fault.

I dunno about that, Minok. It is not apple's responsibility to provide code for the porsche interface. Apple has a developer kit that porsche uses to make it work. That is all apple does for the process. It is up to porsche to make the system function properly. Apple has a product that works just fine with every other dock on the market. I have a few stereo interface (bose, denon and cambridge) docks at my offices and the ipod does not miss a beat with any of them. I hook it up to the 997 and it craps out, just like everyone's ipod does! Ipods also don't brick themselves. Sounds like porsche rushed this one out the door and needs a patch. I don't harbor any grudge against porsche, but I know that apple is staying out of this one, and Porsche sold the interface, not apple. They are responsible. Since Porsche as a company is busy trying to stay solvent, I doubt they are going to rehire the IT team to debug this interface as priority #1.

Quick Reply: Hmm, iPod issue with new Universal Audio...