Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the era of lasers, are radar detectors obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nyca
keep some traffic ahead of you.
huh???

seriously, when i speed it's very difficult to do that. not speeding is like sexual abstinence, i can avoid doing it for a while, but...

the po-lice are usually lazy and take the easy ones. best to speed over known routes cuz they tend to station themselves in the same spots.

does anyone know how "laser shifters" work? do they put out a different frequency and cause so much IM interference that the gun finds it hard to capture the bounce, or act like a carrier of the original signal and literally shift the entire spectrum to one that the gun is "blind" to, or ...???

do they set off the jammer code in the gun?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

That works most of the time. They are changing tactics however. Some use high off axis shooting as well as station themselves on the overpass to hit you from behind. Another thing I have seen is for a police officer to station themselves on the overpass and hide behind a road sign located there and just extend the laser gun and their hear barely beyond the sign and shoot. Very hard to pick up unless you are looking and scanning the edge of the signs on the overheads. Some are even starting to shoot at night making their identification even more difficult.
Certainly a good lookout doctrine is very important and in many cases critical there will be other times where you simply will not pick up the threat. For those times, its nice to know you have another level of protection in a jammer.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

I have V1 and Laser Blinder combo. Here the roving tax collectors use both methods. No tickets since I added the Blinder...knock on wood.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:13 AM
saltydawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the answer to the best protection is it just depends on how much protection you want. We should all practice situational awareness all of the time, that's free. Adding a modern radar detector will help with a lot of the standard radar bands if they are still used much in your area and may pick up an occasional stray laser impulse. Finally, to complete the package a laser blocker or shifter might offer some useful laser protection.

It's kind of like birth control. You could just avoid speeding altogether and keep your stick shift in the garage. That's not much fun and makes for a very unhappy stick shift. Or just go with the most basic protection, situational awareness, and "pull out" when you sense danger "coming". You can use a detector by checking the time of month and assessing the danger level. Finally you can use a blocker and cloak yourself in a sheath of latex. Ultimately what we really need is a vasectomy or better yet a castration of the tax collection agency.

Enjoy the drive and make it last.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you travel to other areas that use the old radar it will be nice to have a V1.

Here in AZ it's mostly Ka band that I've seen, and most often they're just lazily sitting there with the radar on permanently (don't see as many of the bike cops with instant-on, or the laser).
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 923 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
huh???

seriously, when i speed it's very difficult to do that. not speeding is like sexual abstinence, i can avoid doing it for a while, but...
It's alot safer to be the second fastest car in the immediate traffic pattern you are in. You can typically bait some other hot shoe to pass you, and he'll draw the heat for what might be up ahead.

To each his own of course, I'd rather be comfortable driving 19MPH above the speed limit if I know someone who just had to pass me and drive 22MPH above the speed limit, is up ahead of me.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

You are totally wasting your time and money with the V1.[/QUOTE]

8 years, probably 160k miles and no ticket makes that statement completely inaccurate.

Situational awareness, common sense and a V-1 or other good R.D. keep away the tax man
Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nyca
It's alot safer to be the second fastest car in the immediate traffic pattern you are in. You can typically bait some other hot shoe to pass you, and he'll draw the heat for what might be up ahead.

To each his own of course, I'd rather be comfortable driving 19MPH above the speed limit if I know someone who just had to pass me and drive 22MPH above the speed limit, is up ahead of me.
oh, i know the rules;

-second car of three or more if poss
-100 yrds off their bumper
-stay out of the left lane as much as poss
-careful scan of overpasses, entrance ramps, shoulder etc.
-using trucks for cover/drafting

but in truth i only rarely speed on the public roads any more. i typically drive quite sedately. get most of my speed-fix on the track. but when i do speed, since i'm used to it now, there are very few people to hide behind going faster than me. and this new 997.2 is really a very fast car. you're into triple digits in a flash!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
8 years, probably 160k miles and no ticket makes that statement completely inaccurate.
+1

Any of the handful of "high-end" detectors will do a good job. I choose to use the V1 just because it's been upgradable the longest and it has the arrows.

That said, does anyone have any links showing that these expensive laser jammers actually work? I can't help but think that there's a huge placebo effect with these things, especially after all that useless Rocky Mountain Radar crap that's been around for so long.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

-second car of three or more if poss
-100 yrds off their bumper
-stay out of the left lane as much as poss
-careful scan of overpasses, entrance ramps, shoulder etc.
-using trucks for cover/drafting
+1 on all those and I would add "just don't stick out of the crowd for any reason"

I regularly drive on I-80 for long periods of time in the 90-100 mph range. You just have to have your head on straight and be prepared for anything. A lot of people think the key to speeding is to stick a cheap Uniden detector on the dash and put the "go" pedal to the floor.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default laser blinder?

can someone post a link to a "laser blinder?"..... thanks
does it take something mounted to the front of your car?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a V1. It works well except for lasers. That is not a fault, just the way it is. It detects Lexus and GMC cars far better than a cop with a laser as evidenced by my ticket this week. This is a yearly event for me. When I called the city the lady was nice enough to explain that my last ticket was just over a year so I could do deffered. I've contemplated getting on the escalating arms race by upping the ante with a laser jammer. I struggle with the "drawing the line thing." Not to urinate on this happy topic, but I am seriously contemplating selling my car, getting a hybrid and doing some good with the money I save on tickets. I would miss the car....a lot....and the **** retentive Porsche lovers that I call friends.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh???

the po-lice are usually lazy and take the easy ones. best to speed over known routes cuz they tend to station themselves in the same spots.

does anyone know how "laser shifters" work? do they put out a different frequency and cause so much IM interference that the gun finds it hard to capture the bounce, or act like a carrier of the original signal and literally shift the entire spectrum to one that the gun is "blind" to, or ...???

do they set off the jammer code in the gun?
as i've been told, many of the hits from a laser gun do not return a good reading - it's a narrow band and they "pulse" the gun until they get a good reading.

that said, i know there are some LEOs on this board that can clarify.

so anyway, the guns return an error code when they do not get an accurate return reading of the speed of the vehicle. (the gun reads "E04" or the like) this is what's innovative about the laster shifter. they are constantly sending out error codes to laser guns. so when an LEO gets an error, it's not alarming - especially when there is no front plate which is a nice, flat, reflective surface that returns consistent readings.

with the cincinnati microwave unit - i don't know about all of them - you receive a laser warning in your car. then, the idea is that while the unit is throwing out an error code, you have time to come down to speed. then, you hit the button in your car twice, and it stops sending the error code. then, the LEO gets an accurate reading of your speed, which, by now, is the speed limit.

the unit is about $2k installed as i recall. the average ticket nationally is about a total cost of $400 - with a substantial variation here of course. and the increasing cost of multiple tickets is not linear so break even is not getting a couple tickets.

anyway, a dash mounted radar dectector IMO will help for sure. the laser protection saves you from one-on-one laser but with instant-on radar, driving single, you're pretty much dead not matter what...

my 2 cents,

brendan
Old 05-24-2009, 03:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I travel a lot nd am in and out of rental cars so is there any laser jammer that is portable and really works?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess driving the speed limit is like abstenance and sex. It is, however, the best insurance against getting a speed ticket. Unfortunately, where I live all the local cops are changing to lasers. For a long time the the V1 was great since the cops leave their radars on all the time...you could spot them a mile away.
abe

Quick Reply: In the era of lasers, are radar detectors obsolete?